SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

15 minutes ago, moser53 said:

The 8 10 12 buildings coming down on campus if I said here  I have the cash save them. Would they say great or would they say no the cost of upkeep is to much. The 2 examples you give says nothing about the future of UND. If 700 a year more freshman at SU is the norm from here on out. More buildings will be torn down because nobody will be on UNDs campus. UND the internet school is the future at UND.Per press release.

Please link the press release where UND said it won't be serving students on campus in the future. 

Most of the buildings being torn down are dumpy old apartments. As for the academic buildings, it's likely cheaper to build new than to refurbish several of them. Also, the campus added 325,000 square feet with the new med school and opened up a lot of space in the old med school for consolidating several older buildings. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It's one of the ugliest buildings of all time. I'm not sure what can be done to "fix" the outside.

Snazzy is up with architectural glass or something.  Reflective or colored glass would do wonders for it, like creating an external statement that there is something wonderful to behold inside.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Snazzy is up with architectural glass or something.  Reflective or colored glass would do wonders for it, like creating an external statement that there is something wonderful to behold inside.

So we go from a hideous structural double t exterior to a glass box? 

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Head over to the Fritz (or is it called The Chester in today's world?) tomorrow. There's gonna be a good performance.

Chester Fritz born 1892 Buxton ND. He and his wife Vera are buried in GF at the Memorial Park Cementery. In Stephen Kings Shawshank Redemption Andy Dufrense carved out the bible to hide the rock hammer. 

B4 Andy broke out of prison he told Red there would be money hid for him. Go to Buxton the money is in a box under the rocks by a big oak tree .Get busy living or get busy dying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More opportunity for UND. Doctor shortage by 2030 to be as high as 100,000. Did they build it big enough? Opportunity for others?

My wife worked for Neurosurgeon Danial Schmelta at Altru. Great man gave us hockey tickets many times.It takes a lot of dedication to see patients all day then be on call for emergency’s your whole career.

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no more bball at teh ralph ever? or did they buy a new...(this one was a used one from other venue iirc)

Possibly new one if Ralph is used again to have a more Kelly Green?

Hopefully this alievates some scheduling issues the teams at the Betty had. Heard of some teams losing valuable practice times during HS tournaments/events at the Betty.

7 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Anything planned for that location or will it be faculty parking?

at this point who knows who is calling the shots on these buildings/land....und looks so much different now than just a couple years ago...who knows where this ends?

• Upvote 1

"Back in my day" UND had so many students some had to start the semester staying in hotels around town until UND had rooms become available.

Now I drive by Dakota Hall and it's a decimated, old, overgrown, unoccuplied, piece of property. A reminder of the Universities glory days.

42 minutes ago, Cratter said:

"Back in my day" UND had so many students some had to start the semester staying in hotels around town until UND had rooms become available.

Now I drive by Dakota Hall and it's a decimated, old, overgrown, unoccuplied, piece of property. A reminder of the Universities glory days.

Now, some students and parents insist they won’t live in a tiny dorm rooms and actually have to interact with humans their own age, so they rent luxury apartments off campus.  Dakota Hall was a tax write off gift by Happy Harry’s that would have been demolished  40 yrs ago.  The land is the value of that gift.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

right b4 i biked thru campus i biked by dakota hall...what a dump...happy harry was smart to "donate" it to und for his nice tax write off

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Now, some students and parents insist they won’t live in a tiny dorm rooms and actually have to interact with humans their own age, so they rent luxury apartments off campus.  

With exceptions, that's probably why the university now mandates all freshman must live on campus.

39 minutes ago, Cratter said:

On a related note, The Richards family is not happy the way the U is trying to sell their donated land, including writing to the higher ed board to try and block it.

Sounds like the Richards family doesn't trust the University and what they say they'll do with the money after selling the land:

University officials expressed concerns that the university may not be able to restrict the endowment the way it has been requested by the family, as well as making it a permanent fund and sought clarity from the state on the matter.