SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts from the weekend

shep

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt the "one overhead view" will be changed because my guess is it exists to make the availability to replay review equal across the conference. I'm guessing some teams don't have the TV broadcasts and those that do might not have all the cameras that an FSN or CSTV has available to them at a game. I'm guessing they've installed the overhead cameras in each arena and since that is uniform across the league, that will be the view used for replay. Everyone has a fair shake.

Otherwise, you could use the argument that MN or WI or even UND might have the best advantage of replay thoughout the year because more of their games are televised by a big time operation with lots of camera angles, etc.

Not sure I understand why it needs to be the same. Both teams on the ice get equal advantage of the replay, doesn't favor anyone. The fairness is getting the call correct. If there are multiple camera angles available then use them, otherwise use none of them. That is the only fair way. It is ridiculous to say we only can review the overhead shot if there are other angles available. Use everything that is available otherwise I would rather not use any of it. As tough as it is to live with a mistake that the ref makes it is easier when they can't review it. The Saturday goal would be difficult to call in real-time even for a good official, for Shepturd if he ever gets the correct call it was by accident. When it can be reviewed, and there are replays that show it went in, then it's impossible to accept a wrong call.

If the fairness take is that only some arenas have multiple camera angles and therefore the home teams in these arenas have some kind of an advantage, then replay shouldn't have been done last year on a trial basis at Denver and CC because it gave them an advantage...hmmm, seems that they tied for the conference championship...that must be the reason.

Look, I'm TRYING to be optimistic, but most of those who are hopeful acknowledge the team hasn't been really good but they keep pointing out that the Freshman need time to mature.

I agree.

It's just that I'm not as accepting of waiting till next year as some, I guess.

So what's your solution? I don't see that you have any choice but to wait for the freshmen to mature. That will come over time and not all at the same time. Either go to the games and hopefully see some growth and improvement or stay at home til next season.

BTW, those who look at their team realistically will always be looked upon as not being a true fan and that's ridiculous. You know in your heart how you feel. Being honest, in your own mind, doesn't change a thing.

Kessel's a farce, it's a shame that he is the best thing they can come up with for the first overall pick in the next draft. He's so far from being in Crosby or ovechkin's league it isn't even funny.

Get past your anger. Things aren't so bad. Oshie is a stud and as you predicted he will be a force on the WJC team.

I have no doubt in my mind that Kessel and Toews will demonstrate the value in their lofty draft projections in due time.

I have a feeling this post will probably not be well received, but if Kessel doesn't play defense why does he he see so much ice time on the PK?

Same reason as Stafford. Keeps the D honest. The PK is a different role and a smart player (Kessel) knows how to play it. Having Kessel on the ice will prevent the D from coming deep into the zone.

Same reason as Stafford. Keeps the D honest. The PK is a different role and a smart player (Kessel) knows how to play it. Having Kessel on the ice will prevent the D from coming deep into the zone.

I agree. I also think it could be a message sent towards Phil by Lucia stating "I know you're not known for defense but maybe you can show me something I've missed?" Seems far fetched but, as of now, I haven't seen a whole UMN game so I can't tell you how unreliable Kessel is defensively.

Here's another question: When does Phil come onto the ice during the PK? It might be something worth trying if there is a faceoff with less than 30 seconds left on the PK to perhaps get something going on that faceoff or when the player comes out of the box?

Same reason Vanek was. Lucia loves the floater to go in on a shorthanded breakaway.

Vanek didn't do much PK time, especially after his freshmen season. Kessel's PK time is decreasing every weekend.

Kessel does come back to the zone and helps break out, but he abhors hitting people. He could have drilled Oshie Friday night just prior to Oshie's goal. Instead he whiffed on a stick sweep.

When Kessel starts shooting four of five rushes instead of the toe drag move he will be much more effective.

Vanek didn't do much PK time, especially after his freshmen season. Kessel's PK time is decreasing every weekend.

Kessel does come back to the zone and helps break out, but he abhors hitting people. He could have drilled Oshie Friday night just prior to Oshie's goal. Instead he whiffed on a stick sweep.

When Kessel starts shooting four of five rushes instead of the toe drag move he will be much more effective.

Here is the funny thing to all of this Vanek is playing on the PK in Buffalo, I have watched the Sabres play a few times this season and there he was on the ice for the PK against the Wild.

I have a feeling this post will probably not be well received, but if Kessel doesn't play defense why does he he see so much ice time on the PK?

Watch a replay of the Oshie goal from Fri night. Who's the Gopher forward that is left standing there while Oshie dangles in front of him right in front of the net? ;):0

Kessel's a farce, it's a shame that he is the best thing they can come up with for the first overall pick in the next draft. He's so far from being in Crosby or ovechkin's league it isn't even funny.

But this post, on the other hand, is ridiculous. Any fan that doesn't see the talent and potential in Kessel just has their blinders on.

Let me rephrase then. The times I've seen him play (roughly 15-20), I have not seen anything special. He's an average, at best face-off guy, stands around in his own end. Does not distribute the puck well (which is a common attribute of most players in the US development program), always looks to shoot before pass. Brings no physical presence, however has perfected the "toe drag", which is always neutralized with solid defense any way. These are purely my own observations, I certainly would never ask you to agree with them. To me it is sad that this guy will be the next overall #1 pick, that's my opinion and that's all it is is an opinion. However I still maintain he's not in Crosby's league.

But this post, on the other hand, is ridiculous. Any fan that doesn't see the talent and potential in Kessel just has their blinders on.

The upcoming draft has already been labelled as being very weak and that only the first half dozen picks will be getting a bue-chip prospect.

Let me rephrase then. The times I've seen him play (roughly 15-20), I have not seen anything special. He's an average, at best face-off guy, stands around in his own end. Does not distribute the puck well (which is a common attribute of most players in the US development program), always looks to shoot before pass.

Kessel early in the year was a monster at the face-off although his success rate has tapered off a bit, but I'd still say he's one of the better players at the practice. He's not going to hit anyone but he will get back into the defensive zone and doesn't stand around in the least - claiming he does signifies extreme blinders. And while Kessel obviously doesn't have a problem with shooting the puck, he does lead the entire Gophers team in assists with 13 which, is 3 more than anyone from UND has at this point. :0

Kessel early in the year was a monster at the face-off although his success rate has tapered off a bit, but I'd still say he's one of the better players at the practice. He's not going to hit anyone but he will get back into the defensive zone and doesn't stand around in the least - claiming he does signifies extreme blinders. And while Kessel obviously doesn't have a problem with shooting the puck, he does lead the entire Gophers team in assists with 13 which, is 3 more than anyone from UND has at this point. :0

In other words, Donny needs a freshman to "carry the mail" this season.

Ah yes, instead of simply admitting Kessel can distibute the puck...

In other words, Donny needs a freshman to "carry the mail" this season.

...find a way to claim his assist total is a negative for the Gophers and "Donny"? And of course if a Freshman or Sophomore god forbid ever led UND in assists it would instead be a great accomplishment?:

Name, Yr GP G A

Travis Zajac, F, So 18 5 11

T.J. Oshie, F, Fr 18 7 10

Chris Porter, F, Jr 18 3 10

Brian Lee, D, Fr 18 2 10

Never mind Kessel has 1 more assist than a So and 2 more than a Jr. ;):0

Edited by Slap Shot

Ah yes, instead of simply admitting Kessel can distibute the puck...

...find a way to claim his assist total is a negative for the Gophers and "Donny"? And of course if a Freshman or Sophomore god forbid ever led UND in assists it would instead be a great accomplishment?:

Name, Yr GP G A

Travis Zajac, F, So 18 5 11

T.J. Oshie, F, Fr 18 7 10

Chris Porter, F, Jr 18 3 10

Brian Lee, D, Fr 18 2 10

Never mind Kessel has 1 more assist than a So and 2 more than a Jr. ;):0

Yo, bigmouth, little history lesson: Donny in reference to Zach Parise his freshmen year: "We (UMN) don't need a freshmen to carry the mail for us". Get it now ?! (finally?)

slapshot, let me explain something to you before you open your mouth and prove your foolishness again. I'm blind ? What the hell was st phil doing when Oshie walked in one on one and put a goal on briggs friday. Maybe he was practicing being a bowling pin that's what it looked like to me, but then again I'm blind. Now, my question for you. How many times are you going to prove to all of us how uninformed you are before you go somewhere that people want to talk about your hero. Think before you post next time.

Here is the funny thing to all of this Vanek is playing on the PK in Buffalo, I have watched the Sabres play a few times this season and there he was on the ice for the PK against the Wild.

Actually Vanek logged exactly 0 minutes and 0 seconds while the Sabres were shorthanded on sunday night against the wild.

For the year Thomas had been on the ice a total of 3:55 while the sabres are shorthanded or about 7 seconds a game.

Edited by petey23

Slappy. Take your Kesshole over to GayPuckLive. Bring your little bunny around next year if you

wish, but leave with your Kesshole now si vous plais.

Hi. I'm a Gopher fan who regularly posts on Gopher Puck Live and frequents SiouxSports to keep updated on your squad. I feel a little silly making my first post right after the big series this past weekend, but I was really appalled by the above statement and felt I had to do something about it. I know you guys refer to us as the "Goofers" and have cute nicknames for all our players (just like we do for you guys), but has it really gotten than uncivil that you guys feel the need to use homophobic slander to mock us? That is really, really childish you guys, and quite frankly I'm disappointed you let this crap go here. Seriously, we may back different teams, but this is taking it too far... now, I could say something mean about your school's mascot, but I'm going to let it go. Just clean it up, you're embarassing yourselves. Thanks very much.

On a hockey related note, Kessel did not have a very productive weekend. Players like Potulny, Irmen, and Stoa really carried the load for us the majority of the weekend. However, I can assure you he is going to turn out to be one amazing player. As Slap Shot noted, he's first on the team in assists, second in goals and points, and has really had a tremendous start to his freshman year. He moves the puck very well, is unselfish, makes great decisions on the ice, and is amazingly quick. Sure, he doesn't take the body, so he is not the most complete hockey player... but you guys are ripping on him for things you are defending Toewes on, and Kessel's production is far superior to this point this year. Just trying to enlighten you guys a little bit...

As for the series, what a great weekend of college hockey. You could tell the Sioux weren't always on their game (I'd like to think that's because the Gophs skated well, played smart, and were aggresive and physical), but nonetheless, both teams have a lot of raw talent and have the potential to be good for many years to come. I honestly can't decide which rivalry I enjoy more, the Badgers or the Sioux. You guys have been much more competetive year in and year out for as long as I can remember, and we all built up some resentment towards you during the great championship runs you made with Blais, so I might give the Sioux the edge in the rivarly matchup. I look forward to every weekend we play one another, and I can't wait until we meet again at Mariucci in January.

Thanks for listening.