SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts from the weekend

shep

I am glad it cracked you up Streaky, because it was meant to be in veiled jest. This said, there is a huge difference between Philly's decision, complete with a press conference to announce that he preferred the Gophers "style of play" over the Badgers who had, for good reason, heavily recruited him, and other D-1 prospects, including those from Minnesota, who decide to play where they have the best opportunities for success, including at North Dakota. The state of Wisconsin has produced very few D-1 players to date. That will change. Obviously, they would have preferred getting Phil. Most, but certainly not all, Sioux players from Minnesota either did not play in the Cities, or were not heavily preferred by Da Don or Da Doug. Therein lies the distinction. Of course, Parise did not turn his back on his home town because he never lived in Minneapolis, the locale of the U of M. When Roseau, Moorhead, or Warroad get D-1 programs, maybe then I will feel differently. Of course, the Potulnys and Vermin did turn their backs on their hometowns, and I do not think highly of them either.

This all said, I did have the distinct pleasure of watching Robbie Earl, Joe Pavelski, and other Badgers tell Philly that he had made a huge mistake in judgment while he was forced to shake their hands after the recent trouncing at The John. I suspect that if the Gophers do not make it to Milwaukee, and if the Badgers do, you will not find Philly anywhere close to the town, or to the arena.

Why would it give you pleasure to see Earl and Pavelski shake hands with "Philly?" Fans always make a much bigger deal over things like this than the players do. I doubt many of the Gopher players felt this way about Parise when he missed out on a National title. Phil Kessel made a decision that he felt was right for him, as did Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen, much in the same way that Parise did several years ago when he picked UND over Minnesota. That's the way it goes in college recruiting. Players don't "turn their backs on their home town." This garbage is made up by disgruntled fans that don't have enough going on in their lives. This happens in Minnesota all the time from Warroad to Red Wing. We can't keep them all. And if Kessel doesn't make it to Milwaukee, he'll be as disappointed as any other Gopher player for not being there...no more, no less...being from Wisconsin has nothing at all to do with it.

Just let it go....

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad it cracked you up Streaky, because it was meant to be in veiled jest. This said, there is a huge difference between Philly's decision, complete with a press conference to announce that he preferred the Gophers "style of play" over the Badgers who had, for good reason, heavily recruited him, and other D-1 prospects, including those from Minnesota, who decide to play where they have the best opportunities for success, including at North Dakota. The state of Wisconsin has produced very few D-1 players to date. That will change. Obviously, they would have preferred getting Phil. Most, but certainly not all, Sioux players from Minnesota either did not play in the Cities, or were not heavily preferred by Da Don or Da Doug. Therein lies the distinction. Of course, Parise did not turn his back on his home town because he never lived in Minneapolis, the locale of the U of M. When Roseau, Moorhead, or Warroad get D-1 programs, maybe then I will feel differently. Of course, the Potulnys and Vermin did turn their backs on their hometowns, and I do not think highly of them either.

This all said, I did have the distinct pleasure of watching Robbie Earl, Joe Pavelski, and other Badgers tell Philly that he had made a huge mistake in judgment while he was forced to shake their hands after the recent trouncing at The John. I suspect that if the Gophers do not make it to Milwaukee, and if the Badgers do, you will not find Philly anywhere close to the town, or to the arena.

So, You were on the ice and heard The Wisconsin Players tell Kessel he made a mistake?.

Edited by hockey1

Why would it give you pleasure to see Earl and Pavelski shake hands with "Philly?" Fans always make a much bigger deal over things like this than the players do. I doubt many of the Gopher players felt this way about Parise when he missed out on a National title. Phil Kessel made a decision that he felt was right for him, as did Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen, much in the same way that Parise did several years ago when he picked UND over Minnesota. That's the way it goes in college recruiting. Players don't "turn their backs on their home town." This garbage is made up by disgruntled fans that don't have enough going on in their lives. This happens in Minnesota all the time from Warroad to Red Wing. We can't keep them all. And if Kessel doesn't make it to Milwaukee, he'll be as disappointed as any other Gopher player for not being there...no more, no less...being from Wisconsin has nothing at all to do with it.

Just let it go....

Oh boy, is this all we have to talk about? This place is turning into 24/7 Kessel.