SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts from the weekend

shep

I hope Lammy plays more. Parise wasn't up to his game against the top rival and gave up too many soft goals. Lammy played well. Enough said.

We can hate the fact that a GF boy went to play for the disgusting Goofers, but whenever Potulny was on the ice he was the best player in my view and he does EVERYTHING a Captain should do. Solid two-way player.

This team may be full of potential but it just isn't gelling yet in scoring opps. The D played better this weekend, though.

If Toews is the #2 pick in the draft, it will mean that this is a very weak draft. Most First Round picks compete in the pros within a couple of years, and the kid seems to have a LOT of growing up to do b/4 he makes it. If he can't shake sophomore and junior defensemen in college he won't have a chance against pros.

Chorney's antics after his goal is excusable b/c he's a Freshman. However, he needs to remember that we expect Badgers to sink to the level of Goofers not Fighting Sioux. Beyond that, it made the score 4-2 in the third period and the team was down two goals.

Stop blaming the refs, Sioux fans. There is no grand conspiracy against us. We lost this series because the goalie was giving up too many weak ones and when we had PP's including a 5-3 advantage we couldn't capitalize.

Don Lucia seems to have a passion that's absent from his Sioux counterpart. Not saying that's a big reason why the teams played as they did, but the Sioux came out on Friday night with 13,000 fans going nuts in their home arena and were absolutely flat. What's Hak doing pre-game, reading them stories about dead kittens???

If this team is playing in the Ralph after the regular season, I will be SHOCKED!!! I doubt they will even have home ice advantage in the WCHA playoffs and I don't see much likelihood of West Regional action, either. This team has gone 1-5 against the best of the WCHA, DU, Wisc and MN AT HOME!!!!!! Enough said.

Edited by shep

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the gophs beat us twice. pretty simple, they got some bounces and thats how it goes sometimes. phil looked good when he got in but jordan has been great this year so far so i wouldn't get to down on him at all. 1 questionable call each night on goals.can't blame the refs for losing. im pretty burnt out on this series watching these 2 games. go out and sweep BSU and get back on track...WE WILL BE JUST FINE...........

If Oshie is the #2 pick in the draft, it will mean that this is a very weak draft. Most First Round picks compete in the pros within a couple of years, and the kid seems to have a LOT of growing up to do b/4 he makes it. If he can't shake sophomore and junior defensemen in college he won't have a chance against pros.

he got picked 24th last year

While I like the "We'll be fine" attitude, I think 5 straight home losses with a roster this deep in talent is inexcusable, period. The team just tied the school record for dropping consecutive home games.

i hear ya loud and clear...just dont know what else to say right now...they are not getting home wins which are critical in wcha play but on the other hand we have made up for it a little by having road wins..hopefully they will turn it around vs the BEAVS

i hear ya loud and clear...just dont know what else to say right now...they are not getting home wins which are critical in wcha play but on the other hand we have made up for it a little by having road wins..hopefully they will turn it around vs the BEAVS

I like your hopeful nature, but it's not so much just home losses and away wins as it is losses against the top teams in the WCHA and wins against the WCHA's Junior Varsity.

What will this team do in Denver, Mariucci and Madison?;)

Maybe they feel less "pressure" on the road. I don't know. I'm sick of seeing them in person lose and really in the last 5 games, I can't remember feeling they had a real great chance to win.

While I like the "We'll be fine" attitude, I think 5 straight home losses with a roster this deep in talent is inexcusable, period. The team just tied the school record for dropping consecutive home games.

Not to mention very embarrassing to get swept out of your own barn by Wisco and Minnesota. ;)

These guys, including the coaches, had better look at the calendar. The months ending in "r" are about done, and the months that matter are right around the corner.

The Gophs got all the points but there really wasn't that much separating the teams. The biggest factor in my opinion is that UND didn't get the great goaltending they are apparently accustomed to this season.

The other weird thing was that the Sioux actually seemed closer to tying the games before the Gophers took stupid penalties in the final minute. The Sioux didn't try throwing it on net and getting an ugly one down low and basically wasted probably 45 seconds of the final minute each night with perimeter passing.

I don't think that the refs caused UND to lose this series. But I think Sheppard was a little biased against the Sioux on the charging penalty called seconds after the student section finished the chant dedicated to him.

I would have liked to have seen the Sioux play 60 minutes last night, instead of trying to turn it on at the end of the game.

I had fun regardless of the outcome, I love the atmosphere on Sioux-Gopher weekend.

OH, I also checked one of the Gopher fans from behind right outside of the building. I hope he thought it was as funny as I did.

Ooh, the sky is falling!

A bunch of internet Gopher fans were sure their season was over last week after getting swept at home by a big rival. It's not pretty, and it's especially hard to take here in the Twin Cities, but it's just another part of the process of building the team.

It's fair to note the Parise had an off weekend, and especially an off Saturday, but any such notation should include the comment that he's been brilliant most of the year. Spare me any "Lucia has passion and I wish Hakstol had some" talk. This team is a work in progress. If you thought they were going to play four freshmen defensemen avery night, and five freshmen forwards, and not struggle from time to time, you weren't properly prepared for the season.

It would be nice if the offense scored more, but they are still first in the WCHA in goals scored per game (league games only) at 3.75.

As for Toews, I noted last night that he's not nearly ready for the next level. Actually, that's not true. He has already proven that he's able to prosper at the next level. It's just that college IS the next level for him, and he's here a year early. Not only would he be a high school senior this year, he'd be a young senior. Cut him some slack as he's out there against guys seven years older than he is.

This'll be a nice thread to look back on later this year when they've come together.

Ooh, the sky is falling!

A bunch of internet Gopher fans were sure their season was over last week after getting swept at home by a big rival. It's not pretty, and it's especially hard to take here in the Twin Cities, but it's just another part of the process of building the team.

It's fair to note the Parise had an off weekend, and especially an off Saturday, but any such notation should include the comment that he's been brilliant most of the year. Spare me any "Lucia has passion and I wish Hakstol had some" talk. This team is a work in progress. If you thought they were going to play four freshmen defensemen avery night, and five freshmen forwards, and not struggle from time to time, you weren't properly prepared for the season.

It would be nice if the offense scored more, but they are still first in the WCHA in goals scored per game (league games only) at 3.75.

As for Toews, I noted last night that he's not nearly ready for the next level. Actually, that's not true. He has already proven that he's able to prosper at the next level. It's just that college IS the next level for him, and he's here a year early. Not only would he be a high school senior this year, he'd be a young senior. Cut him some slack as he's out there against guys seven years older than he is.

This'll be a nice thread to look back on later this year when they've come together.

If it turns out that it all "comes together" (I love how everyone keeps hoping that will happen even when the evidence thus far is to the contrary) and they play in the Ralph in the Regional, I want someone to print a copy of this, and I will eat it in the organ bar between the first and second periods of their first game.

I'd love to cut Toews some slack, and I will, but I just can't believe he is the 2nd best undrafted player in the world at this point.

My thoughts:

The Gophs wanted it more. That's painful to say (and it was painful to watch), but I think it is true. Irmen and Potulny definitely led the way this weekend.

Parise was below average. The Sioux needed a great goaltending performance and didn't get it--except for one period from Lamoureaux.

The Sioux D couldn't handle Stoa in front of the net on the PP. They need to get more physical.

Stafford was a non-factor much of the weekend. He still showed flashes of his great skill, but he didn't get it done on the scoreboard. Zajac disappeared for stretches as well. To be fair, this tended to happen during stretches when the Gophers were controlling the puck in the Sioux zone, and the Sioux couldn't break out.

Two more pipes for Toews on Friday. Shades of Notermann..

Brian Lee actually looked like a freshman at times. He appeared to be extremely tight at the opening of Friday's game, possibly leading to the first goal. Saturday he had extreme difficulty getting his shot though on the powerplay--it looked like he was slow to pull the trigger, possibly because of indecision. On the other hand he was generally outstanding quarterbacking the PP and his Friday goal was a thing of beauty.

Some bright spots included some very effective and aggressive play from Zach Jones, a tremendous weekend from Spirko, Lammy's performance, and a couple of great individual efforts by Oshie leading to Sioux goals--only one of which counted on the scoreboard. ;)

Kozek had some good hits and it was his pass which set up Prpich's goal late on Saturday. I'd like to see him get some more ice time.

Minnesota probably played their best hockey of the season so far, and the Sioux still had their chances. This team hasn't yet come close to their potential. We need significant improvement in the second half or it may be a short season.

My thoughts:

The Gophs wanted it more. That's painful to say (and it was painful to watch), but I think it is true. Irmen and Potulny definitely led the way this weekend.

Parise was below average. The Sioux needed a great goaltending performance and didn't get it--except for one period from Lamoureaux.

The Sioux D couldn't handle Stoa in front of the net on the PP. They need to get more physical.

Stafford was a non-factor much of the weekend. He still showed flashes of his great skill, but he didn't get it done on the scoreboard. Zajac disappeared for stretches as well. To be fair, this tended to happen during stretches when the Gophers were controlling the puck in the Sioux zone, and the Sioux couldn't break out.

Two more pipes for Toews on Friday. Shades of Notermann..

Brian Lee actually looked like a freshman at times. He appeared to be extremely tight at the opening of Friday's game, possibly leading to the first goal. Saturday he had extreme difficulty getting his shot though on the powerplay--it looked like he was slow to pull the trigger, possibly because of indecision. On the other hand he was generally outstanding quarterbacking the PP and his Friday goal was a thing of beauty.

Some bright spots included some very effective and aggressive play from Zach Jones, a tremendous weekend from Spirko, Lammy's performance, and a couple of great individual efforts by Oshie leading to Sioux goals--only one of which counted on the scoreboard. ;)

Kozek had some good hits and it was his pass which set up Prpich's goal late on Saturday. I'd like to see him get some more ice time.

Minnesota probably played their best hockey of the season so far, and the Sioux still had their chances. This team hasn't yet come close to their potential. We need significant improvement in the second half or it may be a short season.

Kermit

Good points.

I forgot to mention Stafford and you hit it on the head.

I haven't watched Minny play this year-why would I?- but they looked to be in the same class as DU and Wisconsin with Wisconsin being the best I've seen.

I think Oshie is the MVP thus far.

Before we start knocking Toews, lets remember that he is still 17 years old and could very well still be playing junior hockey.

I'm really not trying to knock Toews as much as I'm just surprised that he may be the #2 pick in the draft next year.

There MUST be some 19 year old in Russia who is better.

Toews is a great 17 year old hockey player, but as I noted most of the 1st round picks play in the pros within a couple of years, and he would really need to make great improvement fast to be there next year.

Ooh, the sky is falling!

I agree.

I am not going to comment on the games because I was in Washington DC for the series, so I'll just take the words of the posters about player performances here.

Yeah, Too bad Hakstol is actually a good coach. I mean, seriously. How many crappy, uninspired coaches take their team to the Frozen Four THEIR FIRST YEAR AS A HEAD COACH? Yeah. he sucks. ;)

I don't know if we will make it to Milwaukee, I didn't know even before the season started, but to say that Toews is overrated, Hakstol isn't cutting it as a head coach, and that JPar just isn't the go to guy after having two bad games, that's just what you call "diving from the bandwagon."

I'm really not trying to knock Toews as much as I'm just surprised that he may be the #2 pick in the draft next year.

There MUST be some 19 year old in Russia who is better.

Toews is a great 17 year old hockey player, but as I noted most of the 1st round picks play in the pros within a couple of years, and he would really need to make great improvement fast to be there next year.

Those NHL scouts obviously don't have a clue. ;)

I agree.

I am not going to comment on the games because I was in Washington DC for the series, so I'll just take the words of the posters about player performances here.

Yeah, Too bad Hakstol is actually a good coach. I mean, seriously. How many crappy, uninspired coaches take their team to the Frozen Four THEIR FIRST YEAR AS A HEAD COACH? Yeah. he sucks. :0

I don't know if we will make it to Milwaukee, I didn't know even before the season started, but to say that Toews is overrated, Hakstol isn't cutting it as a head coach, and that JPar just isn't the go to guy after having two bad games, that's just what you call "diving from the bandwagon."

Look Redwing, I know you and I have a totally different perspective on what it means to be a Sioux fan. I think I'm realistic and I sometimes say negative things (especially after watching the 5th straight home loss and against the hated rival). You are ALWAYS positive. The team could shoot pucks at your head during pregame warmups and you'd complement them on their accuracy.

That said, I was at the games and on Friday night one team came out ready to play. Now if that's coaching issue or not, I guess I don't know for sure, but Lucia's team was ready to play. That's all.

As for Towes being overrated, I will just say that he wasn't the best freshman on the ice this weekend and I just can't imagine how he's the #2 pick. I could be wrong, but maybe some of the 17 or so scouts in the stands saw that too. Time will tell.

As for Towes being overrated, I will just say that he wasn't the best freshman on the ice this weekend and I just can't imagine how he's the #2 pick. I could be wrong, but maybe some of the 17 or so scouts in the stands saw that too. Time will tell.

So did Kessel live up to his potential #1 overall ranking? To me he disappeared for large portions of the weekend. He also missed a chance to drill Oshie by the side of the net and led to a Sioux goal Friday.

Remember, we're only looking at players who haven't already been drafted. That means Finley (WSH), Chorney (EDM), Oshie (STL), Kozek (ATL), Watkins (DAL), and Lee (OTT) from UND, and Anderson (PHI), Wheeler (PHO), and Stoa (COA), along with Frazee (NJD), whom we didn't see, are exempt from this discussion of the upcoming draft.

That leaves us with Alexander, Jones, Martens, Miller, and Duncan from UND, and Bostrom and Kessel from Minnesota, to compare with Toews. Although Jones had a good weekend, he's undersized by NHL standards (at least right now) at 5'10" and 187. I thought Duncan wasn't the impact player we've seen before, and we all know (or we're told) that Kessel is the number one pick. Bostrom had a good weekend, but I'd still take Toews.

Dave