SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts from the weekend

shep

Yes, I've heard the excuse that you shouldn't come into someone else's "house" and criticize them, but why if it's not done outrageously? Is this not a public forum? Why should non-Sioux fans have to tiptoe around the truth here to avoid being labeled an a-hole? I told that Sue Sucks guy to shut his yap, I try to avoid making personal insults at anyone and I certainly don't go out of my way to chastise every non-Gohper fan at GPL for simply giving a difference of opinion - which is all that I did.

I agree -- there's a big difference between that "Sue Sucks" guy (idiot who registers after a sweep under multiple screen names to make substanceless taunting smack posts) and someone who has hundreds of posts of history of substantive discussion, despite those posts being generally anti-UND. However, with UND fans currently riled up and particularly anti-Gopher, you certainly knew you were going to cause a stir by choosing that moment to come around and tell them to quit whining (put the Gopher fanbase in our shoes -- I've seen the same thing happen countless times on POI, more than one person here can tell you a story of being eviscerated or banned for showing up too soon after a loss).

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I think you guys really need to watch Toews. I think he's playing very good even if it isn't showing up on the scoresheet. He has great vision and FANTASTIC anticipation and is usually very good with the puck. The best thing about him, though, is his play without the puck, especially for someone that will be 17 all season long. I thought he was maybe the best player on the ice on Friday and while he wasn't as good last night, he was still no slouch. There are a lot of players whose weekend I'd ctriticize before Toews, and I'm sure the coaches have done a good job letting them know who they are.

Potulny and Irmen play so well at the Ralph, I bet they wish they'd opted to play half their games there.

True, the Sioux are in danger of not making the tournament, especially when you stop to consider that it is unlikely that more than four will make the field from the WCHA. Given their home record, if they to make it, can they opt to play the first round on the road?

This was the best I've seen UMN play all year. The Sioux were not far behind. They get it together, they'll be really tough to beat. If they don't, hey, they're playing nine freshmen every game, two of which should still be in high school. Let's not be guilty of unrealistic expectations. Last year I was PO'ed because they should have been doing much better with such an experienced team.

This is one of the better posts regarding Toews. Toews is one of UND's better players on and off the puck even though he is young and is probably weaker strengthwise than almost all the guys he is playing against. His best asset appears to be his ability to shield the puck and not expose it to the D-man. Some other guys seem to invite the opportunity to expose the puck so they can dangle the puck through the guys legs. It all looks very spectacular when it works. Unfortunately they usually fail in half their attempts which means they lose the puck half the time. This is simply not acceptable at the next level and that is where Toews is going.

If someone doesn't think that 4 or 5 years, i.e., the age difference between a 17 year old and a 22 year, doesn't make a difference than I suggest they talk to any reputable strength coach. There is a big difference between a 17 year old 185 lb athlete and a 22 year old 185 lb athlete when it comes to strength and conditioning. Jon will get stronger next year and he will show his true skill and ability. He will also likely get to play his natural position which is at center. I'm guessing that Hak doesn't have him at center this year because of the strength issue.

I watched the game on Friday and I didn't notice Kessel until the PP where he scored. I noticed Toews on almost every shift in the first half of the game because of his ability to hold on to the puck. I also noticed him on the PP. If he had scored on his two posts we would probably be talking about what a great weekend Toews had over Kessel.

I agree that Kessel did have a better weekend than Toews. Friday night, Toews was noticeable, hitting two posts, where Saturday night, he wasn't any more noticeable than any other Sioux forward. However, I disagree with the author about Kessel being the most dangerous player on the ice. Unfortunately for Sioux fans, the most dangerous player on the ice was probably either Potulny or Irmen.

Agreed.

All I have to go by is stats and Ryan and Danny killed us.

rushmore88, it's funny you'd be offended by anything having "kill,maim,pillgae,burn" in your sig line. I get it, you're another one of those I want to have my cake and eat it to guys. As long as you can feel good about yourself that's all that really matters here I guess. By the way I know North Dakota Hockey and he is a great guy and a passionate sioux Fan, one of the best I've ever met.

I figured someone would point that out. I put that in my sig line because it's a cheer we do at the Gopher games, one that although it sounds bad, is actually a big joke. I mean, we do have Vikings in this state. What do you expect?

So now you are the moral barometer as to what is and is not offensive on this board, lame, lame, lame. Whatever works for you I guess. This is exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about. Nobody here knows what your sig line means, but somone could find it offensive, you have no room to scold anybody for anything as far as I'm concerned.

So now you are the moral barometer as to what is and is not offensive on this board, lame, lame, lame. Whatever works for you I guess. This is exactly the kind of crap I'm talking about. Nobody here knows what your sig line means, but somone could find it offensive, you have no room to scold anybody for anything as far as I'm concerned.

Point taken. I'll remove it, if it's that offensive to you. My apologies.

I have had my run ins with Slap Shot in the past. I've not called him some very nice things either on USCHO. However, I agree with his last long-winded statement up to a point. Yes, I read his posts and he did indeed state that Shepherd (Shep is a user name here, Slap :D ) did suck this past weekend. From what I gathered there isn't a soul here that would disagree with that.

The point where I draw the line is that there doesn't appear to be a post that says "If Shepherd didn't suck, UND would have won." I didn't see that anywhere really. Or maybe I interpretted posts that were similar in scope to that differently.

In any case, Slap Shot is the least of the posters that I think SS.com could do with out. There are others like this Sue Suck guy, Happy, and all that we could do without. The worst thing that you all could do if you were upset with him is ignore him.

I think that this past weekend is over and we're already over the hump towards next weekend. I think it's time to let things simmer down and move on towards the next series. Our time for redemption may come. If not at the Mariucci, perhaps at the XCel Energy Center? Who knows.

rush, I don't care if you take it off or not, it didn't offend me. Neither did North Dakota Hockey's post, as I realize it was meant to poke fun. My only point was that you came on here and reprimanded NDH, and didn't stop to think that your sig may be taken the wrong way. Don't think I'm apologizing, I'm not, just think about your action before taking someone else to task.

Oh slappy, the story of your ife's trial's and tribulation's is quite touching. Thank you for sharing. It's all clear to me now, how can you ever forgive all of us goopher hater's. I feel so warm and fuzzy now. :D

All I meant to say was that I didn't intend any harm, not that you should feel sorry for me. ;)

rush, I don't care if you take it off or not, it didn't offend me. Neither did North Dakota Hockey's post, as I realize it was meant to poke fun. My only point was that you came on here and reprimanded NDH, and didn't stop to think that your sig may be taken the wrong way. Don't think I'm apologizing, I'm not, just think about your action before taking someone else to task.

Nope, it's cool. I understand what you are saying completely.

I haven't watched Minny play this year-why would I?- but they looked to be in the same class as DU and Wisconsin with Wisconsin being the best I've seen.

I think Oshie is the MVP thus far.

As a Gopher fan, I have to disagree on being in the same class as Sconny. They came into our building and out -everythinged us. It looked like a college team against a good high school team.

I think your club will be fine. I still expect the Sioux to start round one of the WCHA at home, and bring a crapload of people to St. Paul in March.

The point where I draw the line is that there doesn't appear to be a post that says "If Shepherd didn't suck, UND would have won." I didn't see that anywhere really. Or maybe I interpretted posts that were similar in scope to that differently.
That's the part I find comical. Those very few holier-than-thou message board denizens who continuously criticize their despised opponents' fans as immature, whiners, etc..., but think their fans are above it all or their favorite message board is the model of civility. In this case, a very small but vocal group of Gopher fans (none who frequent here) declaring UND fans a bunch of whiners; I'm told GPL had plenty of whining on the same topic, and has everyone forgotten POI already? They scour thousands of posts on SiouxSports.com looking for a complaining UND fan to prove their point; that not good enough, they have to exaggerate what those one or two fans said and then declare that exaggeration to be what "the UND fans on SiouxSports.com are saying" (as if we have some collective mind). :D

The refs missed a lot of calls. They definitely missed at least one UND goal in a one point game on Sat. No way to know all other incorrect calls, or how all of them added together affected the game because everyone would have played the game differently had it developed differently. We'd all appreciate officiating inconsistency to have a minimum impact on game outcome, but 98% of us seem to agree that there was no obvious bias in the calling and UMN earned a good road sweep.

That's the part I find comical. Those very few holier-than-thou message board denizens who continuously criticize their despised opponents' fans as immature, whiners, etc..., but think their fans are above it all or their favorite message board is the model of civility.

I don't think any Gopher fan here painted x% of UND fans as the above, nor stated that all of our own fans are above it all. When it comes to holier-than-thou attitudes, that label belongs to a select few from every fan base.

I am one of the biggest Sheppard detractors, but despite two disputed goals last weekend, he was hardly the reason the Sioux lost. When was the last time the Sioux had a power play in the last minute of the game, nevermind two times in a weekend and top that off with two five on three powerplays. The linesmen were more noticeably bad than Shep.

I don't think any Gopher fan here painted x% of UND fans as the above, nor stated that all of our own fans are above it all. When it comes to holier-than-thou attitudes, that label belongs to a select few from every fan base.

I thought I had made both those points (I explicitly referred to posters "who don't frequent here", meaning from other message boards; and I introduced the holier-than-thou fan generically before saying "in this case..."). Philosophically, criticism of people who think their fanbase is better than others includes an implicit acknowledgement that ones own fanbase is not better than others, so must include such people (or is indicative of some sort of delusion or self-loathing).

I thought I had made both those points (I explicitly referred to posters "who don't frequent here", meaning from other message boards; and I introduced the holier-than-thou fan generically before saying "in this case..."). Philosophically, criticism of people who think their fanbase is better than others includes an implicit acknowledgement that ones own fanbase is not better than others, so must include such people (or is indicative of some sort of delusion or self-loathing).

Is there an English translation? :D:D

I've never thought about posting from a philosophical perspective, I post here because I like discussing & reading about my favorite sport. I also like beer. :D;):huh:

In my opinion, the Sioux have at least a handful of skaters who are every bit as capable as Philly. Maybe the fact that he turned his back on his hometown has something to do with my attitude.

I'm not trying to start anything at all, certainly not a Gophers vs. Sioux discussion or Toews v. Kessel, but this line truly cracked me up. I mean, seriously, taking umbrage with Kessel's decision to "turn his back on his hometown" sets a dangerous precedent for those in Grand Forks, doesn't it? Don't most (ahem, nearly all) of your players come from out of state? How do you reconcile your giddy feelings about them? After all, they too "turned their backs" on their home towns. Oh, faulty logic!

I'm not trying to start anything at all, certainly not a Gophers vs. Sioux discussion or Toews v. Kessel, but this line truly cracked me up. I mean, seriously, taking umbrage with Kessel's decision to "turn his back on his hometown" sets a dangerous precedent for those in Grand Forks, doesn't it? Don't most (ahem, nearly all) of your players come from out of state? How do you reconcile your giddy feelings about them? After all, they too "turned their backs" on their home towns. Oh, faulty logic!

If the bolded passage was true, then perhaps you shouldn't have posted anything at all?

Sad yes, but it is true. I'm sure that the Sioux are regretting not recruiting Potulny and Irmen right about now.

I am glad it cracked you up Streaky, because it was meant to be in veiled jest. This said, there is a huge difference between Philly's decision, complete with a press conference to announce that he preferred the Gophers "style of play" over the Badgers who had, for good reason, heavily recruited him, and other D-1 prospects, including those from Minnesota, who decide to play where they have the best opportunities for success, including at North Dakota. The state of Wisconsin has produced very few D-1 players to date. That will change. Obviously, they would have preferred getting Phil. Most, but certainly not all, Sioux players from Minnesota either did not play in the Cities, or were not heavily preferred by Da Don or Da Doug. Therein lies the distinction. Of course, Parise did not turn his back on his home town because he never lived in Minneapolis, the locale of the U of M. When Roseau, Moorhead, or Warroad get D-1 programs, maybe then I will feel differently. Of course, the Potulnys and Vermin did turn their backs on their hometowns, and I do not think highly of them either.

This all said, I did have the distinct pleasure of watching Robbie Earl, Joe Pavelski, and other Badgers tell Philly that he had made a huge mistake in judgment while he was forced to shake their hands after the recent trouncing at The John. I suspect that if the Gophers do not make it to Milwaukee, and if the Badgers do, you will not find Philly anywhere close to the town, or to the arena.