SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts from the weekend

shep

Hi. I'm a Gopher fan who regularly posts on Gopher Puck Live and frequents SiouxSports to keep updated on your squad. I feel a little silly making my first post right after the big series this past weekend, but I was really appalled by the above statement and felt I had to do something about it. I know you guys refer to us as the "Goofers" and have cute nicknames for all our players (just like we do for you guys), but has it really gotten than uncivil that you guys feel the need to use homophobic slander to mock us?

I agree -- this is a good example of going too far. A little smack between opponents' fans is inevitable, but the bigoted slurs and profanity are inappropriate for a public forum.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel a little silly making my first post right after the big series this past weekend, but I was really appalled by the above statement and felt I had to do something about it.

So what exactly did you do about it? You've stated your opinion like everyone else. This is a college hockey board where people state their opinions. Some opinions aren't always appropriate, but nevertheless, it's someone's opinion. I'm sure the same thing happens on the board you frequent the most. I'm not a big biblical guy, but when it gets to this level, it's best to just turn the other cheek and let it go. If you don't comment, you don't feed anyone with ammo.

With that being said, I'm all for other team's college hockey fans coming to this site and posting their thoughts. It just kind of urks me when people complain how Sioux fans complain about other teams and other teams players when this is a Sioux message board. If it makes you feel better though, a lot of people complain just as much, if not more about our own players. :0

So what exactly did you do about it? You've stated your opinion like everyone else. This is a college hockey board where people state their opinions. Some opinions aren't always appropriate, but nevertheless, it's someone's opinion. I'm sure the same thing happens on the board you frequent the most. I'm not a big biblical guy, but when it gets to this level, it's best to just turn the other cheek and let it go. If you don't comment, you don't feed anyone with ammo.

With that being said, I'm all for other team's college hockey fans coming to this site and posting their thoughts. It just kind of urks me when people complain how Sioux fans complain about other teams and other teams players when this is a Sioux message board. If it makes you feel better though, a lot of people complain just as much, if not more about our own players. :0

Stating your opinion (criticizing Gopher/Sioux players) = ok

Bigoted slurs / profanity = unnecessary

The point of pointing out inappropriate posts is to help define an ongoing standard for discourse in the forum. That gets everyone on the same page of how to play nice (sometimes forgotten after a lopsided outcome against a rival).

Well, I just wanted to state I felt it was wrong, that's all...

And we complain about our own players a ton as well too... the ol' "BENCH HARRINGTON!" thread sees a lot of action virtually every weekend....

Like I stated, I don't have any problem with fans from other teams, and the majority of posters you find on the board don't have a problem. It's always nice to debate someone from another team rather than all of us who route for the same team :0

It's always nice to debate someone from another team rather than all of us who route for the same team :0

I agree. I have to say that I have yet to read ONE rude, nasty, gloating remark from Slapshot. He/she has an opinion, his/her opinion, no one has asked anyone here to accept or believe anyone else's opinion. Why the heinous crap directed at him/her? Because an idiot Gopher skippy posted crap early on and disappeared. Slappy's the scape goat. I admire and at times disagree with many of my SS fellow posters but some of you have been down right embarrassing in this thread.

The best thing about sports are the rivalries. If we were all friends and cheered for each other, we would be bored out of our minds. And we'd be spending our Friday and Saturday nights at Bible study, reading the Old Testement's blood and guts chapters for a little excitement.

I agree. I have to say that I have yet to read ONE rude, nasty, gloating remark from Slapshot. He/she has an opinion, his/her opinion, no one has asked anyone here to accept or believe anyone else's opinion. Why the heinous crap directed at him/her? Because an idiot Gopher skippy posted crap early on and disappeared. Slappy's the scape goat. I admire and at times disagree with many of my SS fellow posters but some of you have been down right embarrassing in this thread.

The best thing about sports are the rivalries. If we were all friends and cheered for each other, we would be bored out of our minds. And we'd be spending our Friday and Saturday nights at Bible study, reading the Old Testement's blood and guts chapters for a little excitement.

Perhaps because he posted nothing about the series until after the Gophers had gotten the sweep. He didn't say anything leading up to it, why should we care what he has to say afterwards. To me, it's just like someone joining right after their team wins and starts ranting... he just happened to have already had his screenname.

Hi. I'm a Gopher fan who regularly posts on Gopher Puck Live and frequents SiouxSports to keep updated on your squad. I feel a little silly making my first post right after the big series this past weekend, but I was really appalled by the above statement and felt I had to do something about it. I know you guys refer to us as the "Goofers" and have cute nicknames for all our players (just like we do for you guys), but has it really gotten than uncivil that you guys feel the need to use homophobic slander to mock us? That is really, really childish you guys, and quite frankly I'm disappointed you let this crap go here. Seriously, we may back different teams, but this is taking it too far... now, I could say something mean about your school's mascot, but I'm going to let it go. Just clean it up, you're embarassing yourselves. Thanks very much.

On a hockey related note, Kessel did not have a very productive weekend. Players like Potulny, Irmen, and Stoa really carried the load for us the majority of the weekend. However, I can assure you he is going to turn out to be one amazing player. As Slap Shot noted, he's first on the team in assists, second in goals and points, and has really had a tremendous start to his freshman year. He moves the puck very well, is unselfish, makes great decisions on the ice, and is amazingly quick. Sure, he doesn't take the body, so he is not the most complete hockey player... but you guys are ripping on him for things you are defending Toewes on, and Kessel's production is far superior to this point this year. Just trying to enlighten you guys a little bit...

As for the series, what a great weekend of college hockey. You could tell the Sioux weren't always on their game (I'd like to think that's because the Gophs skated well, played smart, and were aggresive and physical), but nonetheless, both teams have a lot of raw talent and have the potential to be good for many years to come. I honestly can't decide which rivalry I enjoy more, the Badgers or the Sioux. You guys have been much more competetive year in and year out for as long as I can remember, and we all built up some resentment towards you during the great championship runs you made with Blais, so I might give the Sioux the edge in the rivarly matchup. I look forward to every weekend we play one another, and I can't wait until we meet again at Mariucci in January.

Thanks for listening.

First posts can come any time when they are reasonable.

In the "takes one to know one" category, I think I can safely say that the problem with Slap Shot isn't just his post this time, it's past history. Sometimes Slap Shot says stuff that's just fine even if I don't agree with it. Sometimes he can be an arse. However, that makes one more sensitive to anything he posts. It also didn't help that he showed up while the blood was still flowing to tell us to lighten up.

I'll say this, I've learned more and more over the years to hold my tongue when I am in someone else's "house". And when bringing up an issue, to use a softer approach than I would here on SS, or a public board like USCHO. I think that was the problem.

I agree -- this is a good example of going too far. A little smack between opponents' fans is inevitable, but the bigoted slurs and profanity are inappropriate for a public forum.

Point well taken Rushmore, Admin, and everyone else. I am over the line in a world that is now full of them.

Please accept my apologies. I am a better person that this. I should know by now that some skin can be pretty thin. Guess all those Gopher fans walking into The Ralph asking where the showers were just don't recognize lines either. It is just that I grow so tired of Gopher fans' tired lines about Ralph and their constant young girl gaze over this guy Kessel. In my opinion, the Sioux have at least a handful of skaters who are every bit as capable as Philly. Maybe the fact that he turned his back on his hometown has something to do with my attitude.

And you are right rushmore88. It was truly a great great college hockey series, and one that little matters come March unless it is the difference between fifth and sixth place for either team.

Self-imposed board ban, come on up.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

It also didn't help that he showed up while the blood was still flowing to tell us to lighten up.

I don't have any problem with Slappy's hockey opinions. I do think it's a bit much when opposing teams' fans show up here after their team beats the Sioux and then proceed to lecture us in condescending tones about what we can and can't complain about.

Edited by PCM

I don't have any problem with Slappy's hockey opinions. I do think it's a bit much when opposing teams' fans show up here after their team beats the Sioux and then proceed to lecture us in condescending tones about what we can and can't complain about.

I can't say that I've seen a hockey opinion from him/her. Only the latter (condescending tones), and always after Gopher wins only. That's his/her history on this board, a tiresome bore in my opinion.

rushmore88, it's funny you'd be offended by anything having "kill,maim,pillgae,burn" in your sig line. I get it, you're another one of those I want to have my cake and eat it to guys. As long as you can feel good about yourself that's all that really matters here I guess. By the way I know North Dakota Hockey and he is a great guy and a passionate sioux Fan, one of the best I've ever met.

Point well taken Rushmore, Admin, and everyone else. I am over the line in a world that is now full of them.

Please accept my apologies. I am a better person that this. I should know by now that some skin can be pretty thin. Guess all those Gopher fans walking into The Ralph asking where the showers were just don't recognize lines either. It is just that I grow so tired of Gopher fans' tired lines about Ralph and their constant young girl gaze over this guy Kessel. In my opinion, the Sioux have at least a handful of skaters who are every bit as capable as Philly. Maybe the fact that he turned his back on his hometown has something to do with my attitude.

And you are right rushmore88. It was truly a great great college hockey series, and one that little matters come March unless it is the difference between fifth and sixth place for either team.

Self-imposed board ban, come on up.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Ban for comments on Kessel? What about his blantent reference to Christmas? Come to think of it, I guess this is the time of year that Gopher fans celebrate the birth of Phil.

Let me rephrase then. The times I've seen him play (roughly 15-20), I have not seen anything special. He's an average, at best face-off guy, stands around in his own end. Does not distribute the puck well (which is a common attribute of most players in the US development program), always looks to shoot before pass. Brings no physical presence, however has perfected the "toe drag", which is always neutralized with solid defense any way. These are purely my own observations, I certainly would never ask you to agree with them. To me it is sad that this guy will be the next overall #1 pick, that's my opinion and that's all it is is an opinion. However I still maintain he's not in Crosby's league.

I'm curious on what you think of Jonathan Toews play, he is projected to go very high in the draft, very close to Kessel. I do agree with you about Kessel not being in Crosby's league, atleast he is not there yet.

As a Sioux fan I'd like to jump into this thread and criticize some Sioux fans for their propensity to rip Kessel for no apparent reason. Actually, the only reasons they are ripping him is because he is ranked higher than Sioux freshman, and plays for the Gophers. This is getting old quick, and it's the same thing that happened a couple of years ago when comparing Vanek to ZP. The players are different, while Towes is bigger, and better in the defensive zone there is no debating that Kessel is far superior in the offensive zone. Case in point, 22 points in 18 games is nothing to scoff at. IMO, he's on pace for a 45-50 point year. Not to bad for a kid who should still be in highschool. Towes, is having a great year as a 17 year old freshman. He needs to fill out a little more and should be a dominate power forward for years to come. IMO he has yet to adjust to the pace of the game where it seems that he hesitates a split second to long in scoring situations. Towes is not the snipper that kessel is and there is nothing wrong with that, but some sioux fans can't seem to come to grips witht the fact that the top draft eligible player in the world plays for the gophers. Hey, we got number 2 and that's not too bad. :D

FYI, I read the scouting report of Kessel -v- Towes in the link above and I don't belive that Kessel separated himself that much on Friday. IMO, Towes one of UND's best players Friday, where Kessel was not playing at nearly the level of Potulny or Irmen.

As a Sioux fan I'd like to jump into this thread and criticize some Sioux fans for their propensity to rip Kessel for no apparent reason. Actually, the only reasons they are ripping him is because he is ranked higher than Sioux freshman, and plays for the Gophers. This is getting old quick, and it's the same thing that happened a couple of years ago when comparing Vanek to ZP. The players are different, while Towes is bigger, and better in the defensive zone there is no debating that Kessel is far superior in the offensive zone. Case in point, 22 points in 18 games is nothing to scoff at. IMO, he's on pace for a 45-50 point year. Not to bad for a kid who should still be in highschool. Towes, is having a great year as a 17 year old freshman. He needs to fill out a little more and should be a dominate power forward for years to come. IMO he has yet to adjust to the pace of the game where it seems that he hesitates a split second to long in scoring situations. Towes is not the snipper that kessel is and there is nothing wrong with that, but some sioux fans can't seem to come to grips witht the fact that the top draft eligible player in the world plays for the gophers. Hey, we got number 2 and that's not too bad. :D

FYI, I read the scouting report of Kessel -v- Towes in the link above and I don't belive that Kessel separated himself that much on Friday. IMO, Towes one of UND's best players Friday, where Kessel was not playing at nearly the level of Potulny or Irmen.

Agreed all the way through.

Alright not that I feel I have to explain myself, but I will. I don't harbor any bad feelings for kessel. I find it hard to believe this guy is the best thing they can come up with for an overall #1. THIS IS MY OPINION. That's the thing with opinions, everyone's is different. Mine is based on the play I have seen on the ice. Putting faith in articles written by a scouting service or any other media source is basing your opinion on someone else's opinion, there seem to be an awful lot of people that base their opinions off of what other people write. I never asked any body to agree or disagree with what I think, just adding my 2 cents worth, based on what I've seen. Beside that, pound for pound, up and down the rink, my money is on the guy in the #7 Sioux jersey. I still maintain the St. Louis Blues got the steal of the last draft.

Perhaps because he posted nothing about the series until after the Gophers had gotten the sweep. He didn't say anything leading up to it, why should we care what he has to say afterwards. To me, it's just like someone joining right after their team wins and starts ranting... he just happened to have already had his screenname.

What difference does it make? Perhaps I simply didn't have time to visit prior to the game during the week, at a time when I'm currently working about 60 hours per week trying to get a personal business going along with contributing about 20 hours per week to my previous employer while he finds my replacement, along with trying to devote time to a wife and two kids? I already visited USCHO and GPL a bit and I only have so much time. I honestly didn't think of visiting here until after reading some posts at GPL.

Not only that, but your argument would make more sense if I tried to rub the weekend in your faces, which I did not. I merely stated - quite clearly - that Shep sucked in both directions and that there's no reason to blame him for the losses. I already stated that if that makes me a bad guy so be it.

However, I will take comments from persons such as Sprig about my supposedly "history" with a grain of salt given that the overrreaction to my posts the past week are typical. For some people all it takes is diasagreeing with a particular fan to be labeled a jerk despite posting nothing over the line. At that point you become a "marked man" in the eyes of some and even though I've on several occasions posted compliments about the Sioux program - both here and at USCHO - those comments are always ignored when someone wants to paraphrase my character and posting history. Didn't I just post yesterday that I believe UND has a great team this year and will definitely be a force in the WCHA FF and quite possibly the NCAA tournament?

Why is it so hard for people to look in the mirror at themselves when being called out for ridiculous comments? Irmen tugs on his jersey and is hung in effigy, Chorny does the same and the excuses are "he's only being a freshman" or, "he only retaliated so it's not as bad", or "at least he didn't do it on the road". Is it really that big a deal to give the opinion it's ridiculous to blame the refs for those losses? Would it have been that hard to simply give a counter-argument instead of calling me the Gopher anti-Christ? I get along with a lot of UND fans at USCHO (Dirty, brian, Wilbur) and have no problem with UND or the collective fanbase - I simply said it's stupid to blame the refs. That's not a personal attack and it sure as heck isn't outrageous - so why such a venemous response?

Yes, I've heard the excuse that you shouldn't come into someone else's "house" and criticize them, but why if it's not done outrageously? Is this not a public forum? Why should non-Sioux fans have to tiptoe around the truth here to avoid being labeled an a-hole? I told that Sue Sucks guy to shut his yap, I try to avoid making personal insults at anyone and I certainly don't go out of my way to chastise every non-Gohper fan at GPL for simply giving a difference of opinion - which is all that I did.

I apologize for the long-winded post and for this having to be dragged out one more time, but I felt I had to respond to what I felt were unfair characterizations about myself as a poster. If the admins would prefer that I vacate SS.com for good I will abide by their request, but I would leave by saying I think it's a bit sad to want to silence someone else just because they politely questioned the validity of a differing opinion.