SiouxSports.com Forum

Thoughts from the weekend

shep

As for Towes being overrated, I will just say that he wasn't the best freshman on the ice this weekend and I just can't imagine how he's the #2 pick. I could be wrong, but maybe some of the 17 or so scouts in the stands saw that too. Time will tell.

That's a pretty bold statement for someone to make I think on here...Just to agree with sagard, I don't remember Kessel or Wheeler even really being on the ice on Saturday night. Does that mean Wheeler isn't deserving of the #5 pick last year? Obviously the scouts know what they are looking at because I can see Wheeler being a dominant force in the future when he begins to utilize his size better. Kessel scored a goal on Friday, but Toews was just as noticeable, if not more, on the ice on Friday, but didn't get on the score sheet. Does that mean he didn't play just as well? I think not.

Usually when 2 good teams get together, a lot of guys disappear, and it tends to be freshman a lot of times. If you know hockey, thats what happens during a player's freshman year. There's going to be some up-and-down periods. There's gotta be an adjustment period. Every hockey player has an off game, Towes had it on a night against a big-time rival in a big-time game, but that doesn't mean he's not an unbelieveable hockey player. Don't be so harsh on a guy when you can obviously see he's got something special in him. But thats just my $.02.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, we're only looking at players who haven't already been drafted. That means Finley (WSH), Chorney (EDM), Oshie (STL), Kozek (ATL), Watkins (DAL), and Lee (OTT) from UND, and Anderson (PHI), Wheeler (PHO), and Stoa (COA), along with Frazee (NJD), whom we didn't see, are exempt from this discussion of the upcoming draft.

That leaves us with Alexander, Jones, Martens, Miller, and Duncan from UND, and Bostrom and Kessel from Minnesota, to compare with Toews. Although Jones had a good weekend, he's undersized by NHL standards (at least right now) at 5'10" and 187. I thought Duncan wasn't the impact player we've seen before, and we all know (or we're told) that Kessel is the number one pick. Bostrom had a good weekend, but I'd still take Toews.

Dave

All that makes sense and of the ones you've listed he is the best. But that's just two teams.

I guess I was spoiled somewhat by the World Juniors last year with Crosby and Ovechkin and now we're talking about someone who may soon be in that lofty category. I know those were the last two #1's but you get my point.

Perhaps I don't know what a #2 pick should look like, but I still have a hard time comprehending this.

So did Kessel live up to his potential #1 overall ranking? To me he disappeared for large portions of the weekend. He also missed a chance to drill Oshie by the side of the net and led to a Sioux goal Friday.

That's a fair point. I guess I may have too lofty an expectation of what a #1 or #2 should be.

However, I think Kessel proved to be better than Toews this weekend.

Wow, I think you guys really need to watch Toews. I think he's playing very good even if it isn't showing up on the scoresheet. He has great vision and FANTASTIC anticipation and is usually very good with the puck. The best thing about him, though, is his play without the puck, especially for someone that will be 17 all season long. I thought he was maybe the best player on the ice on Friday and while he wasn't as good last night, he was still no slouch. There are a lot of players whose weekend I'd ctriticize before Toews, and I'm sure the coaches have done a good job letting them know who they are.

Potulny and Irmen play so well at the Ralph, I bet they wish they'd opted to play half their games there.

True, the Sioux are in danger of not making the tournament, especially when you stop to consider that it is unlikely that more than four will make the field from the WCHA. Given their home record, if they to make it, can they opt to play the first round on the road?

This was the best I've seen UMN play all year. The Sioux were not far behind. They get it together, they'll be really tough to beat. If they don't, hey, they're playing nine freshmen every game, two of which should still be in high school. Let's not be guilty of unrealistic expectations. Last year I was PO'ed because they should have been doing much better with such an experienced team.

Of all that I wrote in the original post, I really didn't think the Toews comment would be so controversial.

I didn't say he was bad or stunk or anything like that; he had some difficulties making plays this weekend thus I'm surprised he's a potential #2 pick.

Some have pointed out that many others have already been drafted and that makes sense, but I'm not saying Toews isn't a good player, I'm just not able to comprehend that he's the #2 pick when that type of player usually hits the NHL a year after he's drafted.

Put another way, I was able to understand how Parise was a 1st round pick based on what I saw his Frosh year. The projections are that Toews will be drafted MANY spots ahead of Parise and that blows my mind based again on what I've seen.

Of all that I wrote in the original post, I really didn't think the Toews comment would be so controversial.

I didn't say he was bad or stunk or anything like that; he had some difficulties making plays this weekend thus I'm surprised he's a potential #2 pick.

Some have pointed out that many others have already been drafted and that makes sense, but I'm not saying Toews isn't a good player, I'm just not able to comprehend that he's the #2 pick when that type of player usually hits the NHL a year after he's drafted.

Put another way, I was able to understand how Parise was a 1st round pick based on what I saw his Frosh year. The projections are that Toews will be drafted MANY spots ahead of Parise and that blows my mind based again on what I've seen.

I just find it ironic how you're almost always the first person to criticize the team. Take some time and realize the good things that happened. The Sioux played horribly, yet were only 2 blown calls away from getting ties against a team that supposedly played its "best of the year."

In your first post you said there's evidence that the team won't turn things around? Where is this evidence? All i've seen from the Sioux over the years is that they make the playoffs and usually do pretty well.

I just find it ironic how you're almost always the first person to criticize the team. Take some time and realize the good things that happened. The Sioux played horribly, yet were only 2 blown calls away from getting ties against a team that supposedly played its "best of the year."

In your first post you said there's evidence that the team won't turn things around? Where is this evidence? All i've seen from the Sioux over the years is that they make the playoffs and usually do pretty well.

The evidence?:0

This year?;)

They are 1-5 at HOME against the top teams in the WCHA.

They beat up on Mich Tech and St Cloud and that's it.

I can't predict the future, but I know what I've seen in those last 5 home games and I know that this can be construed as evidence of why I'm less than hopeful about a long playoff run.

You're right, Sioux teams in the past have done well in the playoffs and last year's team surprised me and many others, but as someone else pointed out, that was a senior laden team. As some of the apologists always are quick to point out, this is a freshman laden team and "they will get better." I'm sure that's true, but I just don't see it happening yet this year.

Btw, we weren't two blown calls from ties this weekend; we were three of four weak goals away from winning this weekend. No one seems to want to talk about that.

The evidence?:0

This year?;)

They are 1-5 at HOME against the top teams in the WCHA.

They beat up on Mich Tech and St Cloud and that's it.

I can't predict the future, but I know what I've seen in those last 5 home games and I know that this can be construed as evidence of why I'm less than hopeful about a long playoff run.

You're right, Sioux teams in the past have done well in the playoffs and last year's team surprised me and many others, but as someone else pointed out, that was a senior laden team. As some of the apologists always are quick to point out, this is a freshman laden team and "they will get better." I'm sure that's true, but I just don't see it happening yet this year.

Btw, we weren't two blown calls from ties this weekend; we were three of four weak goals away from winning this weekend. No one seems to want to talk about that.

If you go back and watch some of the first games of the season, the freshmen have gotten a lot better. For you to say that you don't see it happening yet is naive. To say that they won't get better because after just a couple months of playing NCAA hockey they aren't up to your demands of greatness is also naive. They have made huge steps and will only get better, but of course the team will have setbacks. I think you need to give the team a break and realize the good that has happened. Alos, just because Jpar completely dominates doesn't mean he can't have some bad games here or there. His play so far this year has been a surprise and when he has an off-day you want to cut him and the rest of the guys from the team. Give them some slack and just enjoy some of the greatest hockey around without having to criticize everything they do.

Don Lucia seems to have a passion that's absent from his Sioux counterpart.

Huh? I bet if Brooks himself rose from the grave to give a pre-game speech to the nervous youngsters in that locker room the result would have been much the same. Even then, I'd tell Herb to get the hell out of there and come join me for a beer so Hak can do his job.

taz

If you go back and watch some of the first games of the season, the freshmen have gotten a lot better. For you to say that you don't see it happening yet is naive. To say that they won't get better because after just a couple months of playing NCAA hockey they aren't up to your demands of greatness is also naive. They have made huge steps and will only get better, but of course the team will have setbacks. I think you need to give the team a break and realize the good that has happened. Alos, just because Jpar completely dominates doesn't mean he can't have some bad games here or there. His play so far this year has been a surprise and when he has an off-day you want to cut him and the rest of the guys from the team. Give them some slack and just enjoy some of the greatest hockey around without having to criticize everything they do.

Seriously, is there EVER a time when a fan can criticize the team?

Or do I need to just be happy with close losses against teams that are good and play great?

Cuz, this HOME losing streak is driving me nuts. I hated seeing those smug bastard Goofer fans walking out of the arena happy the last two nights and I'm not a big fan of moral victories, so tell me when enough is enough?

I think that everyone should jump onto the Gopher band wagon and leave the sioux to dry up and die!! Wow - I have seen some lame comments on this forum, but these posts by Shep and some others take the cake. Taves is no longer considered a top draft pick because he didn't score any goals and wow everyone - did you watch the game or the score board?:0 The kid has some mad skills that rival the likes of Stafford and Kessel. Of anyone who maybe had a off weekend would have been Oshie - didn't play was well as he has in the past. I realy think the team is experiencing some hometown jitters - load crowd, expecting you to blow the other team out of the water. We had our chances to win these games both nights late in third but couldn't convert. I thought it was a great weekend of hockey though at least one win would have been nice.

I thought the Sioux were up to the challenge this weekend but couldn't match Minne's wheels - We tryed to play Minne's game and got beat at it. The third period on Saturday, when the Sioux started to put the hurt on Minnesota in terms of checking- the game took a turn. We are a very young team - by far younger than any WCHA team that has come to the Ralph yet. Have some faith - be a TRUE Sioux fan and stand by your team - a sweep at Minne would be so much sweeter.

There's no problem with criticizing play occasionally... but you seem to always be the first one to bring up the negatives. There's a difference between criticizing a team and constantly focusing on the teams negatives and never seeing any positives.

I suspect the main reason you've noticed that about me is because there are so many here who are intent on only seeing everything through Sioux colored glasses that makes everything seem all nice and good and causes them to spew sun-shiny pablum all in the name of being a TRUE FAN.

See no evil, hear no evil, say no evil is the motto of the TRUE FAN.

Well...I did say (in the original post) that I thought the D looked better. In fact the shot totals were decent this weekend. That's positive, right?

But last week some said Parise should be a Hobey finalist, another suggested that these freshman could win four titles (ostensibly true I suppose), Kessel was slammed mainly b/c he's wearing Maroon and Gold, not green and white and whenever we lose it's the refs fault. I'd like to think that though I'm a fan I can still see things in a different light.

In fact, the reason I'm so peed off is because I hate seeing them lose and out of that fact I do see some negatives and foolishly opined about that.

Perhaps in order to prove I'm a TRUE SIOUX fan my next post should be about all the great saves Parise made when he wasn't being five-holed.

Once again TJ Oshie showed us that he is a warrior. This kids work ethic was second to none once again this weekend. Plus he showed us some of those soft hands we saw last year with Warroad.

I agree.

The guy who wrote that he was off this weekend, did NOT see the same games I did.

I agree with you Shep.

I jumped in the game thread last night - page 5 I think - said we should quit complaining about the refs and just start playing better.

I quickly got chastised from a 1000+ poster who questioned why my posts always criticize the Sioux in a backhanded way.

Jeez - - I've only posted 9 times and unlikely to post anytime soon.

I wanted to be a part of this forum to discuss Sioux hockey as I see it. But it looks to me like unless I spend most of my time complaining about the conspiracy by the refs against the Sioux, how gutless, arrogant, and stupid the opposing team players are - I'm a bad egg.

I plan on still reading the threads from time to time (future prospects, Sioux in the NHL, etc) - but I don't see any reason to jump in on the name calling and bitching.

Some thoughts from the weekend, seeing the games in person and not yet watching the tapes:

The negatives:

* I'm disappointed because I don't feel like we put forward our best effort. I can handle losing if the effort is good and the game played well, but this was disappointing for that reason.

* A couple times each period, we stopped playing as a team, especially in our own zone, and started flinging the puck around, individually, not looking for teammates. That's coachable, and practices should be all over that, because I'm sure our next 5 opponents will watch the tapes and decide they know how to beat us.

* JP had an off night. He was due. After saving our collective butt so many times, he's owed one. This team is not yet good enough defensively to win against a top opponent when the goalie has a bad night.

* The speed of the game was above a few of our guys, more notably Friday. No point in naming names, but generally I would say it was rookies ... we just didn't react as fast to the play as our opponents did.

The positives:

* When we started hitting, it was effective. Did Potulny make ANY plays after getting crushed by Smaby on Saturday? And the 3rd UND goal Saturday was preceded by a big hit on Harrington (Kozek I think), who was a bit stunned and didn't get into the coverage ... There were maybe 8-10 other truly bone-crunching hits Saturday. This Sioux team has not been notably physical most nights, but I think we should reconsider that approach. They are actually some dang good body checkers, and the intimidation helped get momentum late Saturday.

* Lamoreaux. Looks like he's on his way to regaining the solid form he showed last year.

* The powerplay was generally effective, 2x6 Friday, 1x7 Saturday with the disappointment not getting a goal in 1:20 of 5x3 on Saturday. Perhaps just a little more willingness to release the puck, and a little less conservative entering the zone ...

The summary:

I expected this team to get schooled before Christmas, and the top teams in the WCHA have done just that. (Still, we have wins over next weeks probable #1, Miami, and win-tie at New Hampshire.) The remaining 11 home games are all winnable, and I would not be surprised if the Sioux run the table. The upcoming road schedule, however, is brutal (CC, DU, MN).

If we are to make the NCAA's, these next 4 games - Bemidji and Harvard - may be the most important on the schedule. Both teams are around that #14 bubble spot, which is where the Sioux are likely to be, and the PWR will swing on these head to head matchups. Similarly, all our common opponent comparisons with OTHER ECACHL teams will be driven largely by the results vs. Harvard, and a sweep puts a big point in our PWR column.

Prediction - sweeps against BSU and Harvard, 4th in the WCHA, #14 in the final PWR, and a spot in the West Regional at the Ralph in March. Where after, anything can happen.

will you PLEASE quit calling him LAMMY!! Everytime I get a picture in my head of that old chick with the sock puppet (lambchop) in my head talking to each other and it's F*cking me up!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!

KNOCK IT OFF!!

PS - how about a poll for a name for Phillipe? a NOT-WEIRD name!!!

I'm not a big fan of "Lammy" either, but I was too lazy to look up the correct spelling of Lamoureaux.

I agree with you Shep.

I jumped in the game thread last night - page 5 I think - said we should quit complaining about the refs and just start playing better.

I quickly got chastised from a 1000+ poster who questioned why my posts always criticize the Sioux in a backhanded way.

Jeez - - I've only posted 9 times and unlikely to post anytime soon.

I wanted to be a part of this forum to discuss Sioux hockey as I see it. But it looks to me like unless I spend most of my time complaining about the conspiracy by the refs against the Sioux, how gutless, arrogant, and stupid the opposing team players are - I'm a bad egg.

I plan on still reading the threads from time to time (future prospects, Sioux in the NHL, etc) - but I don't see any reason to jump in on the name calling and bitching.

I thank you for noting your agreement and all I can say is that even TRUE SIOUX fans can disagree with each other and have dissenting views as to how the team is playing.

Some thoughts from the weekend, seeing the games in person and not yet watching the tapes:

The negatives:

* I'm disappointed because I don't feel like we put forward our best effort. I can handle losing if the effort is good and the game played well, but this was disappointing for that reason.

* A couple times each period, we stopped playing as a team, especially in our own zone, and started flinging the puck around, individually, not looking for teammates. That's coachable, and practices should be all over that, because I'm sure our next 5 opponents will watch the tapes and decide they know how to beat us.

* JP had an off night. He was due. After saving our collective butt so many times, he's owed one. This team is not yet good enough defensively to win against a top opponent when the goalie has a bad night.

* The speed of the game was above a few of our guys, more notably Friday. No point in naming names, but generally I would say it was rookies ... we just didn't react as fast to the play as our opponents did.

The positives:

* When we started hitting, it was effective. Did Potulny make ANY plays after getting crushed by Smaby on Saturday? And the 3rd UND goal Saturday was preceded by a big hit on Harrington (Kozek I think), who was a bit stunned and didn't get into the coverage ... There were maybe 8-10 other truly bone-crunching hits Saturday. This Sioux team has not been notably physical most nights, but I think we should reconsider that approach. They are actually some dang good body checkers, and the intimidation helped get momentum late Saturday.

* Lamoreaux. Looks like he's on his way to regaining the solid form he showed last year.

* The powerplay was generally effective, 2x6 Friday, 1x7 Saturday with the disappointment not getting a goal in 1:20 of 5x3 on Saturday. Perhaps just a little more willingness to release the puck, and a little less conservative entering the zone ...

The summary:

I expected this team to get schooled before Christmas, and the top teams in the WCHA have done just that. (Still, we have wins over next weeks probable #1, Miami, and win-tie at New Hampshire.) The remaining 12 home games are all winnable, and I would not be surprised if the Sioux run the table. The upcoming road schedule, however, is brutal (CC, DU, MN).

If we are to make the NCAA's, these next 4 games - Bemidji and Harvard - may be the most important on the schedule. Both teams are around that #14 bubble spot, which is where the Sioux are likely to be, and the PWR will swing on these head to head matchups. Similarly, all our common opponent comparisons with OTHER ECACHL teams will be driven largely by the results vs. Harvard, and a sweep puts a big point in our PWR column.

Prediction - sweeps against BSU and Harvard, 4th in the WCHA, #14 in the final PWR, and a spot in the West Regional at the Ralph in March. Where after, anything can happen.

Good post.

Thoughtful, reasonable, showing good hockey insight, hopeful (more than I am right now, but I'm trying) and generally not a screed against me or anyone else who wants more from their favorite team.

Nice job and I hope you're right about the West Regional!

I thought our power plays stunk :0

Me, too.

It has a ton of potential (there's that word again and now I'm using it) with Lee as the QB, but it seemed the pointmen had a hard time creating a lane for a shot, so often they would either pass to a wing at the dot or when shooting would fire it into the Minny player at the point.

& I'll add Lee had the worst performance I have seen him have yet

These young guys got too worked up over the whole weekend sioux/gopher thing & have not learned to Hate the Goophers yet & thus, want to stomp them back into their holes. But maybe now they understand ? ? ?

Plus woog put his whammy on us :0

This team does not play well when they get behind, it was evident this weekend, and it has been the whole year. After we would score, the gophers seemed to come back and find a way to either take the lead again or extend their lead.

This team has a lot of things to work on, they are very young, but there are still a lot of games to be played this season and the more experience this young team gets, the better they will be in the stretch run.