SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

A verbal commitment is not binding on the athlete, who can sign the written intent with whomever he/she chooses. There are some rules, however, on whether coaches or school representatives can continue talking to an athlete after they have "verbally comitted" to a school, thus the big issue that arose after Lou Nanne and Glenn Sonmor tried to change Zach Parise's mind after he "verbally committed" to UND. Ballard is apparently one example of an athlete's change of mind. Another example is the famed UND freshman class in the fall of 1981. The six recruits of James Patrick, Rick Zombo, Jim Archibald, Dave Donnelly, Dave Tippett, and Gord Sherven, who all went on to play in the NHL. There was reportedly a 7th recruit who verballed to UND, but signed with Wisconsin, named Chris Chelios. Either he had a change of heart, or Badger Bob was more covert than Nanne and Sonmor.

Chelios was just pissed because they couldn't promise him any ice time.... :lol:

A verbal commitment is not binding on the athlete, who can sign the written intent with whomever he/she chooses. There are some rules, however, on whether coaches or school representatives can continue talking to an athlete after they have "verbally comitted" to a school, thus the big issue that arose after Lou Nanne and Glenn Sonmor tried to change Zach Parise's mind after he "verbally committed" to UND. Ballard is apparently one example of an athlete's change of mind. Another example is the famed UND freshman class in the fall of 1981. The six recruits of James Patrick, Rick Zombo, Jim Archibald, Dave Donnelly, Dave Tippett, and Gord Sherven, who all went on to play in the NHL. There was reportedly a 7th recruit who verballed to UND, but signed with Wisconsin, named Chris Chelios. Either he had a change of heart, or Badger Bob was more covert than Nanne and Sonmor.

The way I've heard the story is that Chelios committed to Gino, then told Gino he was going to keep his visit to WI. Gino told him if he was going to go visit he should just go play there.

My memory might be faulty but I thought I remembered reading or hearing that either Kobesew or Kolanos committed to UND and then changed their mind and went out to BC.

Anyway, it does happen, and for various reasons. That's why us fans hold our breath until the ink is dry.

There are some rules, however, on whether coaches or school representatives can continue talking to an athlete after they have "verbally comitted" to a school, thus the big issue that arose after Lou Nanne and Glenn Sonmor tried to change Zach Parise's mind after he "verbally committed" to UND.

There's no rule about other schools talking to a player after he is verbally committed. Since it's an unofficial thing that doesn't exist in the eyes of the NCAA, there's nothing to stop teams from doing it.

A lot of teams stop recruiting kids once they've verbally committed because it's kind of a Gentleman's Rule to stay away from kids that have already made a choice, and it's a pretty poor use of resources since a kid isn't likely to change his mind.

Some of that is starting to change a bit in college hockey because kids are committing so early. Smaller schools are more willing to take a chance on a kid early, which means some of the bigger name schools either have to also gamble on offering scholarships to kids earlier than they would like, or they have to recruit kids that have already made verbal commitments.

My memory might be faulty but I thought I remembered reading or hearing that either Kobesew or Kolanos committed to UND and then changed their mind and went out to BC.

Anyway, it does happen, and for various reasons. That's why us fans hold our breath until the ink is dry.

I remember it being said that Blaiser recruited them both hard.

I find it interesting that we're discussing recruiting after verbal committment because I was just reading a story about it this morning in the Madison newspapers. Although it is about football, so I'm not sure if it's different in hockey. Personally, the story kind of disguested me, but that might also have to do with the fact that I don't like the Badgers in any sport.

UW football: Bielema a proponent of recruiting to the final whistle

Word travels quick in the recruiting world, and it didn't take long for the members of the University of Wisconsin coaching staff to discover a prospect they coveted had committed to a rival school.

"I was kind of shocked how fast they found out," Gilreath said. "I heard from them that night."

The Badgers staff wanted to make it clear they weren't ready to give up on Gilreath.

"They just wanted to know why I did it," Gilreath said. "They weren't mad at me. They just said they were going to still recruit me. I was like, 'OK.'

When Badgers coach Bret Bielema will unveil his 2007 recruiting class today, the group will include at least five players who at one point verbally committed to another school. "Until they tell you, 'Hey, I don't want you to call here anymore,' or the (high school) coach or someone tells you, 'Stop doing this,' we don't see it's in our best interest (to stop)," Bielema said. "There's a reason there's a signing day. It's open recruiting until then." "

It seems like these young athletes have a hard enough time trying to decide where to go to school in the first place. They think that once they make a decision it will get easier, and with continued recruiting from other schools I can only imagine how many times they second guess themself.

Cichy still intends on being a Sioiux in 2008, at least for now.

Maybe the kid wants to play at UND. I don't see why he wouldn't since he is an American boy.

Why not go to UND where you can fast track to the NHL? Kind of like if you want to work on the farm you go to NDSU, if you want to own the Farm you got to UND. Same thing.

I know this has been talked about already, but as an interested Sioux fan, I was wondering about our prospects and what they bring to the table. Here is a list that I've compiled, though I'm sure I am missing a few. Just interested in their size/stats/hockey potential... you know, the stuff we will talk about all summer long after another trip to the frozen four. I've put their possible year to start with the Sioux, so correct my miscalculations.

Riley Nash, 07' F

Brett Hextall, 07' F

Derrick LaPointe, 07' D

Jake Marto, 07' D

Ben Blood, 07' or 08' D

Brett Bruneteau, 08' F

Mike Cichy, 08' F (assuming he doen't jump to major juniors)

David Toews, 08' F

Zach Budish, 08' D

young Canadian goalie, 08' can't think of the name, but I think we have him committed

Does anyone know anything about the Zajac in juniors right now?

Anyways, let me know how we look for the future. Go Sioux!

I know this has been talked about already, but as an interested Sioux fan, I was wondering about our prospects and what they bring to the table. Here is a list that I've compiled, though I'm sure I am missing a few. Just interested in their size/stats/hockey potential... you know, the stuff we will talk about all summer long after another trip to the frozen four. I've put their possible year to start with the Sioux, so correct my miscalculations.

Riley Nash, 07' F

Brett Hextall, 07' F

Derrick LaPointe, 07' D

Jake Marto, 07' D

Ben Blood, 07' or 08' D

Brett Bruneteau, 08' F

Mike Cichy, 08' F (assuming he doen't jump to major juniors)

David Toews, 08' F

Zach Budish, 08' D

young Canadian goalie, 08' can't think of the name, but I think we have him committed

Does anyone know anything about the Zajac in juniors right now?

Anyways, let me know how we look for the future. Go Sioux!

Are you assuming we get a few of these because I haven't seen Heisenberg announce Nash, Towes are Budish.

looks like david toews has really turned it on for shattuck and has 60 points which is 2nd on the team with the points leader at 63. hope we can grab him soon!

http://www.s-sm.org/upper/athletics/team.a...rid=2006+-+2007

:ohmy: No way, a Toews that turns it on in the second half. :D???

Come on David, you were born to be Fighting Sioux, if you come here, you too can be a Canadian icon...

There were a couple of recruits at the games this weekend. Not sure who it is, but I figured it might be easy to try and figure out. One kid had on a letter jacket, purple with yellow sleeves and a big F on it. Not sure what Fosston school colors are...

I seen that Zach Budish kid play yesterday on FoxSports. He looks like a pretty solid play. Are the Sioux looking at him at all? I seen Steven Point and Eau Claire are undefeated in High School Hockey...

G A Pts

Travis Erstad F 12 6'4 195 22 27 49

The USHL did a nice scouting feature on Budish, he lists North Dakota as one of his choices.

http://ushl.com/news/0607/20070204CSBudishRandell.cfm

There were a couple of recruits at the games this weekend. Not sure who it is, but I figured it might be easy to try and figure out. One kid had on a letter jacket, purple with yellow sleeves and a big F on it. Not sure what Fosston school colors are...

Matt Frattin of Fort Saskatchewan was reportedly at North Dakota this weekend.

I seen that Zach Budish kid play yesterday on FoxSports. He looks like a pretty solid play. Are the Sioux looking at him at all? I seen Steven Point and Eau Claire are undefeated in High School Hockey...

G A Pts

Travis Erstad F 12 6'4 195 22 27 49

does anybody know where erstad is leaning towards? i think UND has a good chance of getting him for 08

here is the Top 10 for points in the AJHL

PLAYER # P TEAM GP G A PTS P/G PPG SHG PIM

1 Dustin Sather 33 F Grande Prairie Storm 54 40 59 99 1.8 19 4 59

2 Matt Frattin 14 RW Fort Saskatchewan Traders 54 48 30 78 1.4 17 0 65

3 Alexandre Blais 23 F Grande Prairie Storm 54 32 46 78 1.4 16 8 99

4 Bennett Royer 7 FW Calgary Canucks 54 31 42 73 1.4 17 2 66

5 Sean Ringrose 16 C Fort Saskatchewan Traders 55 29 44 73 1.3 16 0 30

6 Kyle Burton 12 FW Calgary Canucks 55 38 31 69 1.3 24 1 79

7 Andy Hyvarinen 8 F Canmore Eagles 54 32 34 66 1.2 12 7 158

8 Justin Fontaine 14 RW Bonnyville Pontiacs 49 29 37 66 1.3 6 4 58

9 Brett Holmberg 13 RW Sherwood Park Crusaders 58 26 37 63 1.1 8 5 96

10 Everett Sheen 10 F Okotoks Oilers 54 28 34 62 1.1 16 1 122

how many kids were visiting this weekend?

does anybody know where erstad is leaning towards? i think UND has a good chance of getting him for 08

I like Erstad and all, but I'd rather get Toews first and then worry about others.

And there are a ton I'd love to see wearing a Sioux uniform:

Stepan Novotny

David Toews

Travis Erstad

Zach Budish

Riley Nash

Aaron Ness

And these are the guys I'm able to recall off the top of my head.

I like Erstad and all, but I'd rather get Toews first and then worry about others.

And there are a ton I'd love to see wearing a Sioux uniform:

Stepan Novotny

David Toews

Travis Erstad

Zach Budish

Riley Nash

Aaron Ness

And these are the guys I'm able to recall off the top of my head.

well, obviously. everybody is talking about toews though, and erstad sounds like he would be a good pickup. that list you have looks about right. right now nash is probably a bigger concern to the sioux since toews would be 08. the next couple of years could be very exciting for top notch pickups for the sioux.

edit: also, what kind of chance do the sioux have to get novotny? hes ssm right?

here is the Top 10 for points in the AJHL

PLAYER # P TEAM GP G A PTS P/G PPG SHG PIM

1 Dustin Sather 33 F Grande Prairie Storm 54 40 59 99 1.8 19 4 59

2 Matt Frattin 14 RW Fort Saskatchewan Traders 54 48 30 78 1.4 17 0 65

3 Alexandre Blais 23 F Grande Prairie Storm 54 32 46 78 1.4 16 8 99

4 Bennett Royer 7 FW Calgary Canucks 54 31 42 73 1.4 17 2 66

5 Sean Ringrose 16 C Fort Saskatchewan Traders 55 29 44 73 1.3 16 0 30

6 Kyle Burton 12 FW Calgary Canucks 55 38 31 69 1.3 24 1 79

7 Andy Hyvarinen 8 F Canmore Eagles 54 32 34 66 1.2 12 7 158

8 Justin Fontaine 14 RW Bonnyville Pontiacs 49 29 37 66 1.3 6 4 58

9 Brett Holmberg 13 RW Sherwood Park Crusaders 58 26 37 63 1.1 8 5 96

10 Everett Sheen 10 F Okotoks Oilers 54 28 34 62 1.1 16 1 122

how many kids were visiting this weekend?

I saw two on Saturday but wasn't paying attention on Friday. The second one on Saturday was about Coach Jackson's height and had darker blonde hair. That is all I got because he was wearing a black jacket which doesn't help at all.

well, obviously. everybody is talking about toews though, and erstad sounds like he would be a good pickup. that list you have looks about right. right now nash is probably a bigger concern to the sioux since toews would be 08. the next couple of years could be very exciting for top notch pickups for the sioux.

edit: also, what kind of chance do the sioux have to get novotny? hes ssm right?

Don't know what chances we have with Novotny. I haven't heard if he's even been looking at schools at all. Yes, he's at SSM. Doing alright.

I just happen to like players that come from that neck of the woods. ;)

Don't know what chances we have with Novotny. I haven't heard if he's even been looking at schools at all. Yes, he's at SSM. Doing alright.

I just happen to like players that come from that neck of the woods. ;)

i would think he would be looking at school. Not sure why he wouldn't be unless he has something else up his sleeves.