SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

This is a bigger recruiting loss than most of you realize. Gregoire is somewhere between Jon Toews and Colin Wilson in ability. He has not been ranked very high by the scouting services at this point in time because of his injury. Once they see some more games they'll realize he may have 1st round potential in the upcoming NHL draft.

Dead on, had he not had his injury, he certainly had the potential to go very high, and still might. I suspect that he will be a pure goal scorer not unlike Dingle, but with a far less hilarious name.

That's ok. I think Gregoire is good, but I think he's not a first round pick either. He could be a 2nd round pick, though.

That being said, he could be a "Gretzky special" and go something like 20+ spots ahead of where he should have been picked.

This kid is a very good player and what is wrong with him only being a "2nd round pick" in your eyes?

according to letsGoDU, after gregoire, they now have another guy that may come in for 2007. comrie, was supposed to come in there in 2004, but had a bad injury...i thought this might help UND's chances on the Nash situation, even though it looks like du will still have room for a couple more guys.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/

I doubt Denver is using full money to bring in Comrie. While he was once a DU committ, he's now a probably something of a project player now given his medical history, and has some family connections to the Denver program, as his cousin, Paul Comrie, was a key player for Denver in the late 90s.

Denver also would love to get Riley Nash, too. We'll see how that goes.

Denver probably also needs to find a d-man or two, especially with Viedeman graduating.

I doubt Denver is using full money to bring in Comrie. While he was once a DU committ, he's now a probably something of a project player now given his medical history, and has some family connections to the Denver program, as his cousin, Paul Comrie, was a key player for Denver in the late 90s.

Denver also would love to get Riley Nash, too. We'll see how that goes.

Denver probably also needs to find a d-man or two, especially with Viedeman graduating.

What do you think of John Lee? I have to admit that I was surprised to see he was projected as a round 2 pick.

Can't take em all anyway. It still leaves David Toews,Nash or whoever the coaching staff chooses to recuit

Is a verbal commitment binding? I see kids changing their minds and going to the OHL instead of NCAA. But what if a kid wants to go to a different school and he hasn't signed yet? Can he switch? Is this ever done?

Is a verbal commitment binding? I see kids changing their minds and going to the OHL instead of NCAA. But what if a kid wants to go to a different school and he hasn't signed yet? Can he switch? Is this ever done?

A verbal commitment is not binding. Kids do verbally commit and then change their minds. Or have them changed.

Yes. It can be done and it has happened. A verbal commitment is not binding, but most kids and schools honor that commitment. However, I have seen kids and schools change their minds. A case in point is the son of the new Gophers football coach. He verballed to Illinois, but it was reported in today's paper that he has changed his mind and is going to Minnesota. Rumor has it that Keith Ballard gave a verbal to UND, and then changed his mind. There really are no consequences to that decision. If they sign a letter of intent, that can be binding. If the coach/school decide not to let the recruit out of that commitment, they can make them sit out for a year.

His dad played football for Minnesota, so I'd assume that would be his top choice.

I wouldn't assume that. We have had kids in the past that parents went to UMN and their son played hockey for UND. I think it wasn't that long ago either.

I want to say maybe Smaby? Or someone along that lines.

It really is rare. The most recent case that I can think of is Nate Hagamo who verballed to Wisconsin. Duluth also recently lost a player, and they also lost Tyler Gron, but that was do to academic performance.

I wouldn't assume that. We have had kids in the past that parents went to UMN and their son played hockey for UND. I think it wasn't that long ago either.

I want to say maybe Smaby? Or someone along that lines.

I believe you are thinking of Finley. I believe when I met him in Madison he told us that he played football for the Gophers, but no longer like the program so he was happy that Joe came here.

I believe you are thinking of Finley. I believe when I met him in Madison he told us that he played football for the Gophers, but no longer like the program so he was happy that Joe came here.

I knew it was one of our burly defensemen.

anyone here seen aaron ness play for roseau? seems to be a hell of a d man but i believe is a sophmore....any studs coming besides him for roseau or warroad? thanks to any in the know up north!

Yes. He is small, but very good. I believe he's only a sophomore. When Roseau and Moorhead played recently, both Dave Hakstol and Don Lucia were present. The conventional wisdom is that both were looking at Aaron Ness. That makes sense because John Lee is already committed to Denver, Jordy Christian to SCSU and Roseau is mostly underclassmen. Another possibility is Jeff Foss, a defenseman from Moorhead.

Warroad is a little down this year. The only senior who has garnered much interest is Aaron Marvin, a SCSU recruit. They have a couple of juniors (Hahn) who are pretty good, but they will probably play juniors if anything. I doubt that they are on anyone's radar at this point.

Yes. He is small, but very good. I believe he's only a sophomore. When Roseau and Moorhead played recently, both Dave Hakstol and Don Lucia were present. The conventional wisdom is that both were looking at Aaron Ness. That makes sense because John Lee is already committed to Denver, Jordy Christian to SCSU and Roseau is mostly underclassmen. Another possibility is Jeff Foss, a defenseman from Moorhead.

Warroad is a little down this year. The only senior who has garnered much interest is Aaron Marvin, a SCSU recruit. They have a couple of juniors (Hahn) who are pretty good, but they will probably play juniors if anything. I doubt that they are on anyone's radar at this point.

WDAY news in Fargo did a bit on Jeff Foss (last night or the night before) and Mornville said that CC, RPI and Minnesota have showed the most interest in him.

I posted this a few weeks ago -

I believe they were mostly interested in looking at Roseau D-man Aaron Ness and forward Tyler Landman. These two are considered two of the best 16 year olds in the state.

If I remember right Aaron Ness' father played for the Sioux in the mid 1980's.

I would think the Gophers are more interested in Tyler Landman. He was one of the leading scorers in last years U16 tourny.

Is a verbal commitment binding?

Choose your answer:

A verbal commitment is

i. as good as the word of the person who made it

ii. worth exactly the same as the paper it's written down on when made*

iii. as good as a verbal real estate deal.

* think about this one a little, because it's first made verbally

Anyone catch Cloquet vs. Duluth East on FSN North last night? Two pretty impressive goalies in action: Ben Leis of East and Reid Ellingson of Cloquet. Are we good in goal with Grieco in and Eidsness on his way? I don't think either of these high schoolers are committed anywhere. They made 92 saves between them in a game that ended in a 1-1 overtime tie.

Yes. It can be done and it has happened. A verbal commitment is not binding, but most kids and schools honor that commitment. However, I have seen kids and schools change their minds. A case in point is the son of the new Gophers football coach. He verballed to Illinois, but it was reported in today's paper that he has changed his mind and is going to Minnesota. Rumor has it that Keith Ballard gave a verbal to UND, and then changed his mind. There really are no consequences to that decision. If they sign a letter of intent, that can be binding. If the coach/school decide not to let the recruit out of that commitment, they can make them sit out for a year.

A verbal commitment is not binding on the athlete, who can sign the written intent with whomever he/she chooses. There are some rules, however, on whether coaches or school representatives can continue talking to an athlete after they have "verbally comitted" to a school, thus the big issue that arose after Lou Nanne and Glenn Sonmor tried to change Zach Parise's mind after he "verbally committed" to UND. Ballard is apparently one example of an athlete's change of mind. Another example is the famed UND freshman class in the fall of 1981. The six recruits of James Patrick, Rick Zombo, Jim Archibald, Dave Donnelly, Dave Tippett, and Gord Sherven, who all went on to play in the NHL. There was reportedly a 7th recruit who verballed to UND, but signed with Wisconsin, named Chris Chelios. Either he had a change of heart, or Badger Bob was more covert than Nanne and Sonmor.

A verbal commitment is not binding on the athlete, who can sign the written intent with whomever he/she chooses. There are some rules, however, on whether coaches or school representatives can continue talking to an athlete after they have "verbally comitted" to a school, thus the big issue that arose after Lou Nanne and Glenn Sonmor tried to change Zach Parise's mind after he "verbally committed" to UND. Ballard is apparently one example of an athlete's change of mind. Another example is the famed UND freshman class in the fall of 1981. The six recruits of James Patrick, Rick Zombo, Jim Archibald, Dave Donnelly, Dave Tippett, and Gord Sherven, who all went on to play in the NHL. There was reportedly a 7th recruit who verballed to UND, but signed with Wisconsin, named Chris Chelios. Either he had a change of heart, or Badger Bob was more covert than Nanne and Sonmor.

Lee Goren was rumored to be committed to MTU and ended up changing his mind and going to UND.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits