SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I spent some time reading through that site, wow! The Menver recruiting classes are looking pretty impressive for the next few years, depending when they bring their kids in. Dam them! And their midget coach with his small hands.

After the Erstad story, let's hope that means they are holding out for Nash. I'd say the coaches have proven many times over that they know how to handle this recruiting thing. Maybe we need one of those, "Dear Riley Nash, here is why you need to play for the finest college hockey program in the country, THE FIGHTING SIOUX from the University of North Dakota" messages. You know, like the one that delivered Malone and some of the recruits. Who was that silver key salesman again? Now would be the time to limber up and start plunking away.

Of all the players that DU took the one that bothered me the most was Gregoire. However, based on past experience keep the faith that the coaches are continuing to do some outstanding recruiting and that they will soon deliver some more great news. :glare:

FWIW, Cornell doesn't offer athletic scholarships, nor do any of the Ivy League programs. Cornell, of course, has academic scholarships available and normal financial aid avenues, as do the other Ivies. I don't think students generally default (or fall) to Cornell; generally, if one ends up at Cornell that's the atmosphere and challenge one wants. Of course, if Riley wants to "fall" to Cornell, I'm sure he'll be welcomed with open arms. ???

I don't know how the Ivy's do things for athletes, but I know for a fact that Harvard does not offer academic scholarships. They offer them on need based only. If your parents have the money to pay, pay up, or your spot goes to one of the thousands of smart rich kids waiting in the wings.

Of course the endowments at Yale and Harvard are large enough to cover tuition for every student and still not dip into principle, but they still charge close to $50,000 per year for tution. Gotta love the law of supply and demand.

Hey I don't have to worry, I'm sure my to boys (4 & 1) will be getting full rides to UND on hockey scholarships!!! :glare:

I don't know how the Ivy's do things for athletes, but I know for a fact that Harvard does not offer academic scholarships. They offer them on need based only. If your parents have the money to pay, pay up, or your spot goes to one of the thousands of smart rich kids waiting in the wings.

Of course the endowments at Yale and Harvard are large enough to cover tuition for every student and still not dip into principle, but they still charge close to $50,000 per year for tution. Gotta love the law of supply and demand.

Hey I don't have to worry, I'm sure my to boys (4 & 1) will be getting full rides to UND on hockey scholarships!!! :glare:

this was what i was talking about with erstad, even though its highly unlikely, there is a possibility of going to a school and paying for it(or in erstad's case, waiting for hak to offer a scholarship). jimmy fraser almost certainly was offered a scholarship to other schools, and probably declined. he may still be on scholarship, but im trying to prove a point to a$$holes that jump on people like me for making one TINY comment, and making themselves feel good by slamming people. go ahead and slam me some more (this is directed a minority of SS members).

this was what i was talking about with erstad, even though its highly unlikely, there is a possibility of going to a school and paying for it(or in erstad's case, waiting for hak to offer a scholarship). jimmy fraser almost certainly was offered a scholarship to other schools, and probably declined. he may still be on scholarship, but im trying to prove a point to a$$holes that jump on people like me for making one TINY comment, and making themselves feel good by slamming people. go ahead and slam me some more (this is directed a minority of SS members).

Back to this thread's topic. A very interesting matchup in the BCHL last night for Sioux fans

http://www.bchl.bc.ca/leagues/hockey_boxSc...p;gameID=330620

Trupp with 1G/1A and the 3rd star vs. Nash with Salmon Arms lone goal.

Updated (removed complete losers that decided to throw their life away at some lesser institution :silly: ):

Even with the loss of Bishop, UND is full for 2007, assuming everyone that can come, does. Some players (Bruneteau) may wait a year if we landed another elite recruit. Here are a few players the Sioux are / may be interested in. UND also has the tendency to get a player no one expects like Jonathon Toews.

2007 (or 2008):

Forwards:

Riley Nash - Salmon Arm BCHL

Matt Frattin - Fort Saskatchewan

Sidney Crosby :ohmy:

Defense:

Not Likely

Goalie:

Not Likely

2008:

Forwards:

David Toews - Shattuck-St. Mary's

Joe Colborne - Camrose AJHL

Cam Lamoreux - Drumheller AJHL

August Aiken - Salmon Arm BCHL

Stephan Novotny - Shattuck-St. Mary's

Kelly Zajac - Salmon Arm BCHL

Derek Lee - Salmon Arm BCHL

Justin Johnson - Eau Claire N. HS

Defense:

Brett Kostolansky - Shattuck-St. Mary's

Goalie:

Not Likely

Forwards:

See 2008 List

Defense:

Aaron Ness - Roseau

Ben Hughes - Shattuck-St. Mary's

Ben Montgomery - Shattuck-St. Mary's

In case anyone hasn't read, Mike Dorr from Roseville High School committed to the Gophers for 2008. This is a pretty big pickup for the Gophers since he is one of the best fowards in the state. He will play in the USHL next year. I don't think he was ever on UND's radar but I just thought I would mention it.

In case anyone hasn't read, Mike Dorr from Roseville High School committed to the Gophers for 2008. This is a pretty big pickup for the Gophers since he is one of the best fowards in the state. He will play in the USHL next year. I don't think he was ever on UND's radar but I just thought I would mention it.

didnt he verbal to duluth then back out and sign with the gophs? something like that i think...

and since he wasnt on our radar who gives a ratz azz :silly::ohmy:

Updated (removed complete losers that decided to throw their life away at some lesser institution :silly: ):

Even with the loss of Bishop, UND is full for 2007, assuming everyone that can come, does. Some players (Bruneteau) may wait a year if we landed another elite recruit. Here are a few players the Sioux are / may be interested in. UND also has the tendency to get a player no one expects like Jonathon Toews.

2007 (or 2008):

Forwards:

Sidney Crosby :ohmy:

Defense:

Not Likely

Goalie:

Not Likely

2008:

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:

Not Likely

Forwards:

See 2008 List

Defense:

Aaron Ness - Roseau

Why isn't Justin Johnson on your list?

Updated (removed complete losers that decided to throw their life away at some lesser institution :lol: ):

2007 (or 2008):

Forwards:

Sidney Crosby :lol:

Defense:

Not Likely

Goalie:

Not Likely

2008:

Forwards:

Justin Johnson - Eau Claire N. HS

Defense:

Goalie:

Not Likely

Forwards:

See 2008 List

Defense:

Aaron Ness - Roseau

I saw a bunch of Roseau hockey players at last Friday's game. Can Sophmores make official visits or do you have to be a junior?

Does anybody know if Danny Wurden is on anybody's radar for 2008 or 2009. I know, I know the comment about him being local being the only reason I am asking, but the Fargo Forum ran a nice article on him the other day and he is getting some attention from the NHL and going to the USHL after the state tourney. Good 2-way player, being a defensemen with some offensive weapons, could be a good addition to any DI team I think.

Any info out there on where he is leaning and who is looking at him?

Does anybody know if Danny Wurden is on anybody's radar for 2008 or 2009. I know, I know the comment about him being local being the only reason I am asking, but the Fargo Forum ran a nice article on him the other day and he is getting some attention from the NHL and going to the USHL after the state tourney. Good 2-way player, being a defensemen with some offensive weapons, could be a good addition to any DI team I think.

Really, I'm sure all of the top local players are "on the radar" just because the coaches will get alot of chances to see them. Not sure if that will translate to a scholarship or not, but there is certainly the opportunity there.

The "rumor" (that I heard from a pretty reliable source) is that both MSUM and UND showed interest, but recently backed off because of concerns about his GPA.

Really, I'm sure all of the top local players are "on the radar" just because the coaches will get alot of chances to see them. Not sure if that will translate to a scholarship or not, but there is certainly the opportunity there.

Going back to the local talent, I also haven't heard much about Jeff Foss from Moorhead. I see he recently signed to the USHL for after the high school season. He's listed pretty high on Heisenburg's site, so I would have thought we would have heard something by now. I think that the Wurden/Foss combo would be a great 1-2 punch on the blueline for alot of clubs. I know UND is low in available spots, especially with an extremely young corp of D-men, so I am most likely wasting my time; still it will be interesting to see where those 2 end up.

I know UND is low in available spots, especially with an extremely young corp of D-men, so I am most likely wasting my time; still it will be interesting to see where those 2 end up.

UND will need plenty of defensemen in 2008. Bina and Radke graduate, and Chorney, Lee and Finley will all be legitimate flight risks, based on their lofty draft positions. Of course some of those sophomores could leave after this year too.

As for Denver's other recruits, I think Nash is the type of player that Denver or UND will find room for, whenever he wants to come.

UND will need plenty of defensemen in 2008. Bina and Radke graduate, and Chorney, Lee and Finley will all be legitimate flight risks, based on their lofty draft positions. Of course some of those sophomores could leave after this year too.

As for Denver's other recruits, I think Nash is the type of player that Denver or UND will find room for, whenever he wants to come.

Chorney might be gone next season.

Denver got a commitment today from USHL foward Nate Dewhurst. He's only a 90 birthday so he probably won't come until 2008. The reason I am posting this is it could affect Riley Nash's decision since Denver may have offered Dewhurst a scholarship.

I was hoping for the same thing, because if everyone says this kid is that good we have to get him in a Sioux sweater.

I saw a bunch of Roseau hockey players at last Friday's game. Can Sophmores make official visits or do you have to be a junior?

I ran into hak and the rest of the team leaving Denver this morning and he said that David Toews was not playing with Shattuck and that coach jackson was going to White Horse, AB to scout him.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits