SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

UND's chances of getting Riley Nash may be improving. according to Let's Go DU, du might be out of scholarships to offer. im not sure what the scholarship status is at UND or cornell, but i would hope that UND would have one to offer. on the other hand, i would have assumed that du could offer something...who knows

UND's chances of getting Riley Nash may be improving. according to Let's Go DU, du might be out of scholarships to offer. im not sure what the scholarship status is at UND or cornell, but i would hope that UND would have one to offer. on the other hand, i would have assumed that du could offer something...who knows

im guessing either school would make room someway

i say we get him :glare:

UND should have some scholarship space available from losing Hunter Bishop earlier this season.

UND should have some scholarship space available from losing Hunter Bishop earlier this season.

i dont know if he was on scholarship... im sure that porter is, and fabian?, not foyt. and obviously toews and oshie are. for next year i would assume that marto and hamilton wont be on scholarships. can anybody say how my aim is on these?

I don't know how much I'd read into that blog. It didn't sound to me like they were necessarily in dire straights. Just some speculation as to where $ could go. I would expect they will find the $ for Nash if he wants to go there.

I don't know how much I'd read into that blog. It didn't sound to me like they were necessarily in dire straights. Just some speculation as to where $ could go. I would expect they will find the $ for Nash if he wants to go there.

I can understand a kid wanting to be careful and methodical in selecting the school he will attend but perhaps young Riley out-waited an offer from the WCHA school of his choosing. The top programs can't afford to wait forever to fill out their rosters or all of the available talent would be gone. UND is no different from DU in that perspective. Without any clear indication from the kid, perhaps the coaches filled the vacancy with just as talented a Nash acquaintance instead.

hak and company must be holding out for somebody like david toews??

Don't know. David Toews has time on his side. You don't HAVE to commit to a school during your junior year. However, Riley Nash is still hanging around.

I think the longer he waits the better it gets for Cornell.

I'm not too dissappointed we didn't get Erstad. I'm sure he'll do well for Wisconsin, but we can't get everyone.

Don't know. David Toews has time on his side. You don't HAVE to commit to a school during your junior year. However, Riley Nash is still hanging around.

I think the longer he waits the better it gets for Cornell.

I'm not too dissappointed we didn't get Erstad. I'm sure he'll do well for Wisconsin, but we can't get everyone.

Nor am I, I don't know how good he will be but the reality is that he will play a year or 2 in the USHL. The Sioux only have one or two spots left for the next two recruiting classes and chances are they can fill those spots with legit blue chippers whether that is Nash, Toews, or some other elite level player. I suspect that Erstad will develop into a very good college defensive forward.

FWIW, Cornell doesn't offer athletic scholarships, nor do any of the Ivy League programs. Cornell, of course, has academic scholarships available and normal financial aid avenues, as do the other Ivies. I don't think students generally default (or fall) to Cornell; generally, if one ends up at Cornell that's the atmosphere and challenge one wants. Of course, if Riley wants to "fall" to Cornell, I'm sure he'll be welcomed with open arms. :glare:

FWIW, Cornell doesn't offer athletic scholarships, nor do any of the Ivy League programs. Cornell, of course, has academic scholarships available and normal financial aid avenues, as do the other Ivies. I don't think students generally default (or fall) to Cornell; generally, if one ends up at Cornell that's the atmosphere and challenge one wants. Of course, if Riley wants to "fall" to Cornell, I'm sure he'll be welcomed with open arms. :glare:

the challenge to become an nhl talent at a crap school? im just kidding, i have respect for cornell. how many academic scholarships are available to give out to hockey players at cornell?

the challenge to become an nhl talent at a crap school? im just kidding, i have respect for cornell. how many academic scholarships are available to give out to hockey players at cornell?

As many that are qualified and earn them? I don't know if there are any limits other than financial on academic scholarships.

i think UND will add some top talent for the coming years, but it would have been sweet to get erstad not on scholarship.

Do you really think UND was going to land a kid ranked in the CSS a few spots behind Brad Malone and ranked ahead of Ben Blood, Brett Bruteneau and Riley Nash without a scholarship? The four aforementioned UND (potential) recruits that some people on this board have been drooling over and the hope was that Erstad would walk on. ROTFLMAO!!! :glare:

Do you really think UND was going to land a kid ranked in the CSS a few spots behind Brad Malone and ranked ahead of Ben Blood, Brett Bruteneau and Riley Nash without a scholarship? The four aforementioned UND (potential) recruits that some people on this board have been drooling over and the hope was that Erstad would walk on. ROTFLMAO!!! :glare:

i said that it would be cool since UND was a close second to wisconsin. i am well aware that it is probably extremely rare, if its even happened, to turn down one powerhouse with scholarship for another without. i dont really see why that is so funny to you.

It's funny because it doesnt make any sense.

I have to agree. Let's pretend UND is Erstad's first choice. UND doesn't offer him a scholarship, though. His close second choice, UW, offers him a scholarship. Even if this were the scenario, Erstad would STILL sign with UW. Scholarships are what makes the offer hard to pass up.

The Capitol Times statement meant that, if UND would have offerred a scholarship, Erstad more than likely would have committed to UND. We did not, UW did. They got him, we didn't. That's all there is to it.

I spent some time reading through that site, wow! The Menver recruiting classes are looking pretty impressive for the next few years, depending when they bring their kids in. Dam them! And their midget coach with his small hands.

After the Erstad story, let's hope that means they are holding out for Nash. I'd say the coaches have proven many times over that they know how to handle this recruiting thing. Maybe we need one of those, "Dear Riley Nash, here is why you need to play for the finest college hockey program in the country, THE FIGHTING SIOUX from the University of North Dakota" messages. You know, like the one that delivered Malone and some of the recruits. Who was that silver key salesman again? Now would be the time to limber up and start plunking away.