dagies

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Which is more interesting:

- BU going after* a MA kid to bring him back toward home
- UMn losing a verbal commit to a HEA BU team 

*have to assume NIL part of puzzle

I can tell you which one is more delicious...sorry Gofers.:wink:

Just now, brianvf said:

Wow. Part of me was thinking he wouldn’t even make it to campus with how well he’s been playing. But this is super surprising. Someone hide the weapons at the GPL poster houses!

I’m still not convinced he makes it to a college campus. If he’s projected to go top 3 in the draft, things can change quickly after you’re drafted. 

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

All of a sudden, BC and BU are bringing in a boatload of very elite talent the next couple years. 
Celebrini. Hagens. That whole line of NTDP at BC this year. Now Eiserman flips?

Are any of these players gonna play more than 1-2 years of college hockey? Doubtful IMO. 

That's a huge reason of why I love what UND is doing recruiting. Getting a great mix of really top end and solid 4 year guys.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I wouldn’t get too giddy at Minnesota’s misfortune because if NIL continues to play a big role, they are better positioned with all the major companies and money floating around than we are.  We can only hope that Schlossman is right and that the NCAA will be forced to take a closer look at NIL to prevent college sports from being a farce.  Personally, I prefer the academic rewards slant that UND is taking.

3 hours ago, ChadR said:

What is the story behind the $100k NIL in Boston?

A hockey pundit tweeted (I'm paraphrasing) that Eiserman was offered a 6 figure NIL deal by a blue blood out east sometime over the summer.

For what it's worth CHN's article says there's speculation it's due to a sick family member. But until that's confirmed NIL will be the rumor. 

12 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

A hockey pundit tweeted (I'm paraphrasing) that Eiserman was offered a 6 figure NIL deal by a blue blood out east sometime over the summer.

For what it's worth CHN's article says there's speculation it's due to a sick family member. But until that's confirmed NIL will be the rumor. 

I also heard about it on a podcast being more related to family. So I’m more inclined to go with that reasoning. Especially when you consider he has been away from home for a while between his time at the NTDP and Shattuck. 

11 hours ago, tnt said:

I wouldn’t get too giddy at Minnesota’s misfortune because if NIL continues to play a big role, they are better positioned with all the major companies and money floating around than we are.  We can only hope that Schlossman is right and that the NCAA will be forced to take a closer look at NIL to prevent college sports from being a farce.  Personally, I prefer the academic rewards slant that UND is taking.

Worried about this too. We wouldn’t be able to compete with the big schools. Especially with the transfer rules the way they are…perfect storm to lose commits and players. Not sure I like where all this is going.

I wouldn't be too worried about NIL and situations like Eiserman. If a player has good academic standing, between the Alston Award and FCOA, a player would receive around 10K a year from UND. How many players are getting the "Eiserman" treatment? You would think it would be a very select group every year. How many of those players would have gone East anyway? UND has positioned itself just fine in the college landscape between the Alston and FCOA. 

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I also heard about it on a podcast being more related to family. So I’m more inclined to go with that reasoning. Especially when you consider he has been away from home for a while between his time at the NTDP and Shattuck. 

Considering how much money he is poised to make down the road, this would make more sense. 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Worried about this too. We wouldn’t be able to compete with the big schools. Especially with the transfer rules the way they are…perfect storm to lose commits and players. Not sure I like where all this is going.

I suppose you are always going to get guys that follow the money, but maybe a lot of the elite players won't be as concerned about the short term gain, and want to train and develop in a pro-type atmosphere that UND has to offer.   As long as we get our fair share of guys that are of the 2-3 year college route elite players we should be fine. Will be interesting to see if the NCAA makes some major tweaks to NIL.  

39 minutes ago, tnt said:

I suppose you are always going to get guys that follow the money, but maybe a lot of the elite players won't be as concerned about the short term gain, and want to train and develop in a pro-type atmosphere that UND has to offer.   As long as we get our fair share of guys that are of the 2-3 year college route elite players we should be fine. Will be interesting to see if the NCAA makes some major tweaks to NIL.  

It's a little like the jury system.   The question is not only whether juries are better fact-finders (than judges making the decisions) but also whether the public's confidence in the outcome is greater with juries.   The real effect of NIL on small market schools may not be that significant (I tend to think it will be), but it may be that fan confidence (lack of) in the fairness of the system will still be a problem.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Completely agree and hockey is a tough game, meaning it’s a late bloomer sport. You can always backfill with overagers to be competitive.

But I’ve seen the landscape change over the past 5-7 years. I was fairly confident the Big10 would beef up extremely quick…and they have. From a recruiting perspective. Just something to consider when blue chips commit. Currently it looks like we have 1-2 of them (emery and Boisvert).