SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I am bummed about Archibald. Kid turned out into a heck of a player at UNO. He's having a very good season...we could use his goal scoring!

You win some and you lose some. We can't expect to get all our legacy recruits. He would have been nice to have but he also could have panned out the opposite. It was a good get by Dean no question.

UND did scout him and he had a terrible game with a coach there. I think UNO offered before UND got a second look.

I have also heard that our previous associate head coach told him that he wasn't good enough to play division I hockey. If UND was going to offer, it wasn't going to be while he was in high school. He was going to need to prove himself in the USHL.

I have also heard that our previous associate head coach told him that he wasn't good enough to play division I hockey. If UND was going to offer, it wasn't going to be while he was in high school. He was going to need to prove himself in the USHL.

I think that is probably something they do with a lot of kids, especially for the more elite programs that don't need to take a chance on players that aren't considered elite at the time. I think Morelli is another player that Blais jumped on early that UND needed to see more before offering. When you miss on those kinds of players though, it hurts your depth. Of course on the other end of the spectrum, UND has missed on elite players that committed then backed out, which also has hurt their depth and taken a toll on several recruiting classes now.

UND did scout him and he had a terrible game with a coach there. I think UNO offered before UND got a second look.

I'm sure they scouted him far more than one bad game though. He committed later in his senior year so there was ample chance to see him before he decided. He is a kid that lives in relatively close proximity to us, has a family connection to our program, played in an elite league that we scout a lot, etc. There is little doubt they saw him play more than that. This simply appears to be a bad job by the coaches. He would have been great here.

I'm sure they scouted him far more than one bad game though. He committed later in his senior year so there was ample chance to see him before he decided. He is a kid that lives in relatively close proximity to us, has a family connection to our program, played in an elite league that we scout a lot, etc. There is little doubt they saw him play more than that. This simply appears to be a bad job by the coaches. He would have been great here.

Maybe he didn't want to play here......

Maybe he didn't want to play here......

To expand further on what I mentioned in my previous post, someone I know ran into the Archibald's on the journey home from Omaha and asked why he went to UNO. The answer was simply UND wasn't interested and Eades told him he wasn't good enough to play Division I hockey.

To expand further on what I mentioned in my previous post, someone I know ran into the Archibald's on the journey home from Omaha and asked why he went to UNO. The answer was simply UND wasn't interested and Eades told him he wasn't good enough to play Division I hockey.

If that were true, then Eades should have been fired for that. Bridges should never be burned because you never know when someone is going to develop, much less a kid still in high school, that by the way put up huge numbers. I am sure the competition was a concern, but I would think you would always keep a door wide open to one of the leading scorers in the state of Minnesota. I would also add that I don't hold a lot of credence in what some parents say, simply because they all seem to have an axe to grind. I have heard about parents this year and last that have very different thoughts about how good their kid is and how much they should be playing, compared to a fans perspective, nevermind a coaches.

Archie and Eades, the main Sioux combatants in the water bottle incident at Wisco, and teammates on a national championship team. I don't know either, but I just can't imagine Eades telling Archie his high school kid is not good enough to play D1.

Archie and Eades, the main Sioux combatants in the water bottle incident at Wisco, and teammates on a national championship team. I don't know either, but I just can't imagine Eades telling Archie his high school kid is not good enough to play D1.

Thinking the same thing. I have always thought that Zombo and Archibald Jr. went to Omaha because of the respect their dad's have for Dean.

I'm pretty sure sioux coaches were at a couple of Archibald's games. Not his best games. I understand that UND wanted him to play Jr.'s a year before joining the team and UNO wanted him right away. UNO was also quicker with the offer. Hindsight is always 20-20.mwe definitely could use his grit and scoring.

I have my doubts that happened. Several years ago I had the opportunity to stand down in the Sioux locker room with a good friend of mine who was a very good player back in the 70's. This former player had a son who was interested in playing at UND and I heard first hand how Eades stressed the importance of being part of the Sioux family and it was especially important as a legacy player. I was really impressed with the passion Eades had as he talked to this dad about how special it would be for this kid to follow in his dad's legacy. The kid didn't end up coming to UND but it certainly wasn't because of anything Eade's did or didn't do.

One thing you have to remember is that, back in the day, Blaiser was the one that did the recruiting of Jim Archibald to UND and has remained close to them. That most likely had more to do with Archies kid ending up in Omaha than what is being implied here.

I have my doubts that happened. Several years ago I had the opportunity to stand down in the Sioux locker room with a good friend of mine who was a very good player back in the 70's. This former player had a son who was interested in playing at UND and I heard first hand how Eades stressed the importance of being part of the Sioux family and it was especially important as a legacy player. I was really impressed with the passion Eades had as he talked to this dad about how special it would be for this kid to follow in his dad's legacy. The kid didn't end up coming to UND but it certainly wasn't because of anything Eade's did or didn't do.

One thing you have to remember is that, back in the day, Blaiser was the one that did the recruiting of Jim Archibald to UND and has remained close to them. That most likely had more to do with Archies kid ending up in Omaha than what is being implied here.

You could say the same thing about Zombo.
  • Upvote 1

Absolutely, Blais was definitely the main reason Archibald is at UNO. I do think that if UND gave him the interest that Blais did, he'd be wearing green!

That very well could be true. I didn't hear it first hand but was told of it happening. I have my doubts as well since it would seem quite odd any coach would say something like that.

I'm pretty sure sioux coaches were at a couple of Archibald's games. Not his best games. I understand that UND wanted him to play Jr.'s a year before joining the team and UNO wanted him right away. UNO was also quicker with the offer. Hindsight is always 20-20.mwe definitely could use his grit and scoring.

Quick is UNO's recruiting game. They get in on a lot of kids with offers real quick, before other schools have a chance to. Kids aren't always exactly patient enough to see what other offers they can get, and I'm not sure I blame them because waiting for a better offer is a risk. And I can see why UNO is quick to offer too. They take a lot of high risk-high reward type kids IMO. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Does anyone know anything about this kid?

Schlossman@SchlossmanGF20m

Per @mikechambers, BCHL recruit Landon Smith had opportunity to join UND at semester break, but decided not to http://bit.ly/1ikLL3G

Doesnt really paint the UND in the best light.....kinda looks .....seems to be a straight up attempt at poaching a commit ted kid?

Or am I missing something

Doesnt really paint the UND in the best light.....kinda looks .....seems to be a straight up attempt at poaching a commit ted kid?

Looks like it but it is Chambers. He's always stirred the pot when it comes to the Sioux, even when there is nothing to stir.

Does anyone know anything about this kid?

Schlossman@SchlossmanGF20m

Per @mikechambers, BCHL recruit Landon Smith had opportunity to join UND at semester break, but decided not to http://bit.ly/1ikLL3G

Maybe Smith saw the games UND played in BC over Christmas breakand decided against coming...:(

Yeah, we certainly didn't like it when Major Junior was operating behind the scenes to poach our recruits. Don't know if they had been in contact with Smith after he decommitted from Denver and said they didn't have room at present but there was mutual interest, and then offered him when this opened up, but nonetheless he was committed. Would be interested to have Brad talk to the coaches about that in the light that they know how it feels to have recruits poached, if indeed that is what happened.