SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Michigan-The Ohio State. Done.

Fred got me again!

This one is legit. I should have added a clause in my challenge excluding football, ya know with the absense of conference tournamentso and all.

So how about hockey and basketball(two equivalent schedule/playoff styles.

Fred got me again!

This one is legit. I should have added a clause in my challenge excluding football, ya know with the absense of conference tournamentso and all.

Still Army-Navy.

Fred got me again!

LOL! Just trying to keep you on your toes. ;) Thanks for the additional qualifiers. I would say BC-BU are right up there in Hockey, along with Minnie and Wisco (just because of the Big 10 connections and the fact that those two schools and their states consider themselves to be peers; whereas both those states look down their noses at anything west of them and east of California <<<-- commonly referred to as Gopher arrogance); and in Basketball... gotta go with Indiana-Kentucky (I mean, Bob Knight won't even say the word "Kentucky" still to this day. He refers to it as that other "SEC team." Speaking of... that rivalry will be on full display tonight in the NCAA Tourney.

Go Sioux!

Fred

In a random article about REA filing a lawsuit about their fire the Herald has a random pic of the exterior of the Ralph with the following caption below it---"The Ralph Engelstad Arena at the University of North Dakota has numerous logos and references to the Fighting Sioux incorporated into the design of the building."

Why?

• 2 weeks later...

Have to love this article:

http://www.cbssports...p-but-should-it

Love this quote:

"Do we really want the NCAA to be the moral police?" one college administrator said last week.

What a moron that administrator is. The NCAA membership, college administrators like that one, voted the NCAA executives that power ... and the membership was too stupid to see how the NCAA would turn around and use it.

Me?

Hey, to that administrator and all the others too dumb to see where that "moral police" power would go, I say my four favorite words:

I. Told. You. So.

Have to love this article: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/18454264/ncaa-wants-to-regulate-bowl-sponsorship-but-should-it Love this quote: What a moron that administrator is. The NCAA membership voted the NCAA executives that power ... and the membership was too stupid to see how the NCAA would turn around and use it. Me? Hey, to that administrator I say my four favorite words: I. Told. You. So.

He obviously needs to be re-educated, comrade.

Have to love this article:

http://www.cbssports...p-but-should-it

Love this quote:

What a moron that administrator is. The NCAA membership, college administrators like that one, voted the NCAA executives that power ... and the membership was too stupid to see how the NCAA would turn around and use it.

Me?

Hey, to that administrator and all the others too dumb to see where that "moral police" power would go, I say my four favorite words:

I. Told. You. So.

Well, for what it's worth, if the Pac-12, Big Ten and SEC wanted to leave the NCAA and form their own, private association - they could do that just fine. They'd not only survive, they'd make as much money as they do now. And they could get their bowls sponsored by whomever they please.

UND is totally dependent on the NCAA. Unless they wanted to make the hockey team private, sort've like how Shattuck is to Minnesota high schools. Something like that.

Well, for what it's worth, if the Pac-12, Big Ten and SEC wanted to leave the NCAA and form their own, private association - they could do that just fine. They'd not only survive, they'd make as much money as they do now. And they could get their bowls sponsored by whomever they please.

UND is totally dependent on the NCAA. Unless they wanted to make the hockey team private, sort've like how Shattuck is to Minnesota high schools. Something like that.

You missed the point. This isn't about UND.

Let me spell it out:

The NCAA membership gave the NCAA executives an inch of power.

Now the NCAA executives are taking it a mile and the membership is surprised.

You missed the point. This isn't about UND.

Let me spell it out:

The NCAA membership gave the NCAA executives an inch of power.

Now the NCAA executives are taking it a mile and the membership is surprised.

Is the membership surprised, or are individual administrators surprised? The representatives of the members are the school presidents. I would guess that fewer of them are surprised by anything that the NCAA does than the lower level administrators.

Here's a question. If there is no NCAA and we're in something new and different would other schools still have a problem with Fighting Sioux? It kinda feels like it to be honest.

Yes, some schools would. For instance, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa all had Native American policies in place before the NCAA came out with theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/17746602/new-twist-in-fighting-sioux-nickname-controversy

However, Attorney Carla Fredericks says, a lawsuit filed by UND students could take precedence over any laws put in place by the State. The lawsuit contends that student's, federal Civil Rights are being violated by the use of the nickname and logo.

Carla Fredericks, Attorney for Students: "Title Six prevents discrimination in institutions that are federally funded... Because UND is a federally funded institution, and because the University of North Dakota utilizes a nickname and mascot, that is by its very nature defamatory to Native Americans."

So that vote in June may be worthless. More twists and turns than a roller coaster.