SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2024-25

cberkas

Congratulations to Denver winning #10 and keeping the National Title in the NCHC.

Arizona State enters the Thunder Dome :D 

The Ice Breaker goes to Las Vegas and Orleans Arena with Minnesota hosting, should have used Lee's Family Forum (was The Dollar Loan Center). Minnesota is the host with Omaha, Air Force, and UMass

Would be nice to see the Vegas holiday tournament at T-Mobile comeback.

Inaugural Coachella Valley Catus Cup - January 3rd and 4th will have Omaha, Lowell, Holy Cross, and Michigan Tech. 

UNLV will play two NCAA D1 games again, no team or teams announced yet.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

Congratulations to Denver winning #10 and keeping the National Title in the NCHC.

Screw that. I am so sick of Denver. Third title in four Frozen Four trips since we last got to the Frozen Four in 2016. We are playing second fiddle to another program.....again. They must be the luckiest team in the history of collegiate sports. (sarcasm) :silly:

But we beat them three out of four times in the regular season and won the Penrose Cup, so everything is good. Right? (sarcasm) :silly:

I guarantee you nobody outside our fanbase thinks we had a better season. Including potential recruits that have UND and Denver on their short lists. But UND athletics is all about the "student-athlete experience" and wins and losses don't matter. :sad:

I don't know how we got here, but I hope we find an escape hatch and quickly. Because we are capable of so much more than this.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

That would be big for Michigan.
Sucks that Michigan and Minnesota both get a first-rounder to return for their junior seasons, but our star 4th-rounder leaves after his Soph year.  :( 

From what I've read, Wpg is well-stocked at the F/C positions, so maybe they were more patient & supportive of McGroarty staying another year. So if they had drafted Blake instead of Car he may have stayed another year; but who knows, Blake may have been itching to move on regardless.

Wonder how much of an NIL deal, if any, figured into Mcgroarty's decision to stay.

MI still lost a lot of offense with Brindley, Nazar & Duke signing; will take a lot to replace that.

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Screw that. I am so sick of Denver. Third title in four Frozen Four trips since we last got to the Frozen Four in 2016. We are playing second fiddle to another program.....again. They must be the luckiest team in the history of collegiate sports. (sarcasm) :silly:

But we beat them three out of four times in the regular season and won the Penrose Cup, so everything is good. Right? (sarcasm) :silly:

I guarantee you nobody outside our fanbase thinks we had a better season. Including potential recruits that have UND and Denver on their short lists. But UND athletics is all about the "student-athlete experience" and wins and losses don't matter. :sad:

I don't know how we got here, but I hope we find an escape hatch and quickly. Because we are capable of so much more than this.

Fine.  Fine.  I'll pick Denver to win it all in @jimdahl's pool next season. 

But everyone has to be okay with that leaving the door open for Minnesota or Duluth to win. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Fine.  Fine.  I'll pick Denver to win it all in @jimdahl's pool next season. 

But everyone has to be okay with that leaving the door open for Minnesota or Duluth to win. 

Are you trying to be funny? Sorry, but I am just not in the mood.

You may not care about NCAA titles, but they help define the greatness of a program. And Denver and Duluth have a combined 5 since we won #8 in 2016. Those are hard facts, facts that cannot be explained away by bad luck and/or the single elimination format.

This postseason was an unmitigated disaster. This team had the table set to have a huge turnout by the Fighting Sioux/Hawks faithful for the regional (Sioux Falls) and the Frozen Four (St. Paul). And they flushed it down the toilet. After winning all those games and the Penrose. I honestly hope the coaching staff can figure out why this team loses its mental edge after clinching the Penrose. Because it will be more of the same next season unless they can.

I will be in my seat in REA as always next season. But this trend of early playoff exits is concerning.

51 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Makes you wonder?

I get some of the reasoning with Blake being drafted in 2021 and both Snuggerud and McGroarty in 2022...and with Carolina needing to replenish their entire feeder system with them getting an AHL team again this upcoming year...just one of those things that you'd normally pencil in a 4th rounder to stick around for at least 3 seasons in a normal situation.  Of course, Blake had a pretty damn good year too.

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Eff man....don't turn a dumb attempt at humor into a diatribe of "doesn't care about national championships", and a history lesson about Denver and Duluth's success.

Just block me and my posts....it's easier that way.  

I don't block people.

And I was referring to a comment you made once that you didn't care how many NCAA banners we win (I forget what thread it was). I can agree to disagree with you on that.

I'm just not feeling good about UND athletics right now. I meant no disrespect.

30 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your "takes"  I do tire from the 12 y/o drama queen approach you take, over and over again.  

I have said my piece on the topic of NCAA titles and playoff flameouts. I am done.

But I don't see how stating facts (albeit uncomfortable and negative facts) qualifies as a "12 y/o drama queen approach".

I think we'll have a good team next year and I think the coaching staff will do fine with portal additions like they did in 2023-2024.

But we have to get back to old fashioned UND playoff hockey. The continued success of our program depends (in part) on it.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But we have to get back to old fashioned UND playoff hockey. The continued success of our program depends (in part) on it.

What is "old fashioned UND playoff hockey" exactly, assuming it is something other than just better results?  

22 minutes ago, burd said:

What is "old fashioned UND playoff hockey" exactly, assuming it is something other than just better results?  

ca749d64-09d9-4084-9be9-9ddace246b78_tex

Go back to "old time hockey" and here's a glimpse of Schloss and @Goon and the DS writer trying to record all the PIMs. 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1