SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2024-25

cberkas

1 hour ago, Big Green said:

I just don't think UST is going to be the great.  Stepping into a premium conference while trying to build a program is going to be very tough.  Besides Alumni i don't think you are going to get much support from the community.  It is a U of M market and they will be little brother to them.  They will be the new Miami and will not add anything when it comes to SOS.

Also too many teams into conference.  Hate the unbalanced schedule.  After adding ASU it forced them to add a 10th team.  Doubt UST would be in if not for ASU being added.  I have always liked the 6 team conference, thought 8 was too many.  Now 10 is way too many.

I don’t know, but finishing 2nd in the CCHA this early into their tenure and beating teams like St. Cloud, Duluth and Minnesota State, and taking the gophers to overtime is already more impressive than what Miami has done, and they didn’t have a shiny new arena to recruit to yet.

• Upvote 4

As long as you give the CCHA a 2 year notice there is no exit fee for St. Thomas.

Q&A with commissioner Don Lucia regarding St. Thomas' departure from the CCHA - The Rink Live | Comprehensive coverage of youth, junior, high school and college hockey

Q: From a logistical standpoint, is there an exit fee for St. Thomas to depart from the league?

A: I’m sure there’s no doubt that played into it because had they waited a little bit longer, there would’ve been, but they gave us, per our by-laws that were established, as long as they give us over a two-year notice, there is no exit fee.

Q: If there isn’t one, then why?

A: That’s a great question. I was not part of the creation of by-laws. I think they were kind of ongoing. We were in discussions this year about redoing that piece of it because personally, I was never comfortable with somebody being able to walk away with no exit fee. We were in the midst of discussions, and I’m sure that may have hastened some of St. Thomas’ thought of, “If we’re going to leave, maybe we need to do it now.”

40 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Wodon is filling his adult diaper about the NCAA ruling. Ivies will be left behind despite their untaxed billions in endowments.  

The real ramifications aside....

If that guy's day is ruined by this.

I'm all for it.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Wodon is filling his adult diaper about the NCAA ruling. Ivies will be left behind despite their untaxed billions in endowments.  

I'm actually surprised no one has brought up Dartmouth basketball players unionizing, which Wodon and McMahon were tweeting about in early March possibly effecting hockey. 

So, this whole CHL thing, which he was kind of for if I remember right, the Ivys will be alright. 

22 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I think the biggest problem is, no one really knows how this ruling is going to affect college hockey. There are a lot of moving parts, still. Now, the latest NCAA court settlement pretty much nixes the idea that the CHL players are no different than college hockey players. It's just a matter of time, once a CHL player sues the NCAA. 

This has been my argument from the very beginning. The coaches may never vote in favor of it, but these pending changes to the NCAA model make the change inevitable at some point.

I still don’t believe the NCAA coaches will ever vote to make the change within the normal legislative process. They didn’t in Naples earlier this month and it’s never likely to happen in the future. They won’t be forced to change the rule until a player (or group of players) from the CHL sues the NCAA, arguing that they have an illegal rule that cost them a six-figure scholarship (and potentially more now with revenue sharing). (Pay site link). 

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

how soon til REA says f' it.............drop "NCAA" hockey and start a semi pro team named.............."The Fighting Sioux" and bankrolled by KEM.

Engelstad Foundation severed ties with UNLV just last week. So more money in that bankroll …

Too bad paying college athletes (above the table) wasn’t a thing in 1999 when Ralph had $100+M he was looking to spend on UND hockey. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Engelstad Foundation severed ties with UNLV just last week. So more money in that bankroll …

Too bad paying college athletes (above the table) wasn’t a thing in 1999 when Ralph had $100+M he was looking to spend on UND hockey. 

wowser..didn't know that about unlv and kem

boy does kem love some kem....I do wonder if Ralph would be proud of her actions since he's been gone....

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

wowser..didn't know that about unlv and kem

boy does kem love some kem....I do wonder if Ralph would be proud of her actions since he's been gone....

I wondered the same.

Hard to know who was more to blame with her fallout with Kennedy.  Thought maybe Kennedy at first since he went through a similar scenario at Colorado.  But now KEM and UNLV are going through a similar, but worse, fallout. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Goon said:

There is still title 9 and I think you start seeing taxpayers really question this at public schools. Pandora's box is now open and we'll see where it goes from here. This combined with the House settlement is earning the power 5 a lot of enemies. 

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Wow. Any word on why? Inopportune time for a school on the outside looking in with realignment (and with D1 hockey aspirations).

8 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Wow. Any word on why? Inopportune time for a school on the outside looking in with realignment (and with D1 hockey aspirations).

“unacceptable leadership”, allegedly.

https://www.fox5vegas.com/2024/05/21/engelstad-foundation-pulls-funding-unlv-over-unacceptable-leadership/?outputType=amp

https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/engelstad-foundation-a-key-unlv-donor-pulling-its-funding-from-the-university

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

There is still title 9 and I think you start seeing taxpayers really question this at public schools. Pandora's box is now open and we'll see where it goes from here. This combined with the House settlement is earning the power 5 a lot of enemies. 

Title IX, etc.

No one seems to know how this plays out. On average, college football is 85% of an athletic department’s revenue. So do you pay your football players with 85% of your available funds?  If so, how do you comply with Title IX?  But then do you really have to pay your women’s swimming team the same amount as your football players?  What an epic gong show this is becoming. 

25 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Twice now she has made a spectacle of her relationships going sour. You can stop being philanthropic with an entity, but you don't need to announce it to the world. Money doesn't buy class.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Title IX, etc.

No one seems to know how this plays out. On average, college football is 85% of an athletic department’s revenue. So do you pay your football players with 85% of your available funds?  If so, how do you comply with Title IX?  But then do you really have to pay your women’s swimming team the same amount as your football players?  What an epic gong show this is becoming. 

My summary:

Glad to see Wodon admit his opinion really doesn’t matter.

Until I know details and knowing about modern university “leadership” I make no judgement about the Englstad Trust decision. 

12 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Twice now she has made a spectacle of her relationships going sour. You can stop being philanthropic with an entity, but you don't need to announce it to the world. Money doesn't buy class.

exactly.....millions of charities out there if you want to make a difference.....it seems like she loves to virtue signal....alot

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1