SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

It is possible to expect more out of the program while at the same time not be re-hashing the same tired points over and over again for the last four pages.

The season hasn't even started yet.  The whole team and coaching staff has been preaching about how they have higher goals beyond the Penrose this season...which was met with enthusiastic "it's about time" comments around here.  So the team is hoping to continually build throughout the season to hopefully peak in March/April.
But yet one uninspired exhibition game and the people that "expect more of the program" are already jumping on the Fire Berry bandwagon.  In early October. 

Well said

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, dustnyou said:

I get a kick out of the “losing recruiting battles “ line some spit here. “We lose all the recruiting battles against DU, MN, UM, BU, BC” lol. So we don’t win any huh? The likes of Boisvert, Emery, Swanson, etc .. we didn’t WIN those recruiting battles against these same blue blood schools? UND must have been the only school recruiting them 1st rounders then.. :) 

completely agree. But in defense of others on this site, I really do think it’s somewhere in the middle. You just dropped one recent recruiting class :). Some folks trend over the course of time. When rating recruiting, it’s important to define how a program is going to recruit. Blue chips, over agers, blend, etc 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

completely agree. But in defense of others on this site, I really do think it’s somewhere in the middle. You just dropped one recent recruiting class :). Some folks trend over the course of time. When rating recruiting, it’s important to define how a program is going to recruit. Blue chips, over agers, blend, etc 

I have always favored a blend of 1-2 year blue chippers and 3-4 year guys. Overagers is just another term for guys nobody else wanted because they aren't that good, so we can't get stuck with those.

18 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I have always favored a blend of 1-2 year blue chippers and 3-4 year guys. Overagers is just another term for guys nobody else wanted because they aren't that good, so we can't get stuck with those.

Haha, I agree on the blend piece. I don’t really see it that way for overagers. To me the players in that category can be very good college players. Typically they’re simply late bloomers who were immature during their draft years. They either will go late or not at all.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha, I agree on the blend piece. I don’t really see it that way for overagers. To me the players in that category can be very good college players. Typically they’re simply late bloomers who were immature during their draft years. They either will go late or not at all.

I never thought about the "late bloomers". I imagine we have had some of those over the years.

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I never thought about the "late bloomers". I imagine we have had some of those over the years.

I'm a big believer in late bloomers in all walks of life.   Pretty much the only chance still open for me.  

• Upvote 3

On 10/8/2024 at 10:03 PM, brianvf said:

It is possible to expect more out of the program while at the same time not be re-hashing the same tired points over and over again for the last four pages.

The season hasn't even started yet.  The whole team and coaching staff has been preaching about how they have higher goals beyond the Penrose this season...which was met with enthusiastic "it's about time" comments around here.  So the team is hoping to continually build throughout the season to hopefully peak in March/April.
But yet one uninspired exhibition game and the people that "expect more of the program" are already jumping on the Fire Berry bandwagon.  In early October. 

I like the way you said this.  And it has to be said.

10 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I would classify Cole Smith as a late bloomer. He probably didn't have many teams recruiting him, but he's now a regular in the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Goon said:

I would classify Cole Smith as a late bloomer. He probably didn't have many teams recruiting him, but he's now a regular in the NHL. 

I met his mom and sister? in Mankato during intermission years back waiting in line for the restroom. Super nice people.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

25 Most Intriguing NCAA Freshmen

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/12894283-james-hagens-leads-list-of-25-most-intriguing-freshmen-in-college-hockey

Sacha Boisvert, C, North Dakota (CHI)

Boisvert is such a natural fit into the way North Dakota plays. He has some edge to his game and a good work ethic, but Boisvert can also score as he showed in the USHL last year with the Muskegon Lumberjacks. That’s just what the Fighting Hawks will need from him, too. The 6-foot-2 center is going to be heavily involved in the offense and likely plays an outsized role in what UND will hope is a season of positive momentum.

E.J. Emery, D, North Dakota (NYR)

A 6-foot-3, right-shot defenseman who can absolutely skate, Emery is still growing into his big frame. He can move pucks adequately and there’s probably more offense in his game than he has shown so far in his young career. Either way, North Dakota has a player that it can rely on in any situation and he’ll only get better as he develops over the next few years.

Mac Swanson, C, North Dakota (PIT)

The USHL’s Player of the Year last year and Clark Cup Playoffs MVP knows how to impact the game. Swanson is undersized, but he competes and has enough skill to produce. He improved his rookie USHL scoring total by 22 points last season, finishing the year with 77, but he shone brightest in the playoffs with 17 points in 12 games. North Dakota needs someone with that kind of pedigree and the Alaska native will bring it.

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2024 at 3:30 PM, scpa0305 said:

If we are still in that upper echelon of programs…absolutely. If we start being competitive in the NCAAs, absolutely. We need to figure out a way to compete in some recruiting battles with blue chips. The landscape is changing quickly. But…Bubs is a great coach. Ive heard from advisors, scouts, etc. Berry is very respected in the hockey world. 

Are we a top 10 program anymore? Top 5? I don’t think so unfortunately……. 

• Downvote 2

On 10/8/2024 at 11:01 AM, Goon said:

Berry was in charge of recruiting when Hakstol was the coach. So that kind of negates your argument. Also, UNDer Berry, the team has landed many top-of-the-line recruits. 

We finally have some top recruits this year, we will see what bubs can do with them……..

On 10/8/2024 at 1:40 PM, scpa0305 said:

Way more with less? Hakstol had wagons. Not sure if he was the primary recruiter for all those guys but his teams were stacked!

Berry has had some nice seasons with success…just not the same success as Hak. The natty was awesome though!

Hak got us to frozen fours, Berry missed multiple tournament fields…..

On 10/8/2024 at 12:01 PM, Goon said:

Berry was in charge of recruiting when Hakstol was the coach. So that kind of negates your argument. Also, UNDer Berry, the team has landed many top-of-the-line recruits. 

Whether or not Berry was "in charge" of recruiting, players choose to play for the head coach first and foremost.  Berry is doing thy bidding for the head coach.  Under Hak we were known as NHL U.  No one says that anymore.  Recruiting as a whole has declined under Berry.  That's not to say we haven't had some good recruits, but as a whole it's been worse.  Also, Berry was only under Hak for a few years of Hak's tenure, yet Hak churned out great players and great results for many years prior.  You make your statement like Hak couldn't have existed without Berry which is incredibly untrue.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

So is the only streaming option for those not in Grand Forks, for next week, the Midco sports plus package with CCHA hockey network? 

Not sure…just know that the Mankato games do not appear on the NCHC.tv schedule.

16 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

And how do you get that?

On 10/13/2024 at 8:21 AM, Blackheart said:

Not sure…just know that the Mankato games do not appear on the NCHC.tv schedule.

The series should be part of the Big10+ package.  I believe the WCHA signed as a part of that package, and got out of the FloHockey deal.  I may be wrong about this as it shows CCHA+, and does not show up on the Big+ schedule.  It should be with the WCHA deal with them, but it is pretty confusing. 

30 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

The series should be part of the Big10+ package.  I believe the WCHA signed as a part of that package, and got out of the FloHockey deal.  I may be wrong about this as it shows CCHA+, and does not show up on the Big+ schedule.  It should be with the WCHA deal with them, but it is pretty confusing. 

MIDCO+ or whatever it is called covers CCHA, B1G+ has WCHA games (along with NCHC.tv when St. Cloud and Duluth women's team plays at home)

• Upvote 1

On 10/8/2024 at 3:04 PM, skateshattrick said:

Look at the 2013-2014 roster, which is just one example. Hak took the team to the Frozen Four and lost a heartbreaker to Minnesota with .06 seconds remaining where the top 3 scorers were sophomore forward Rocco Grimaldi, Michael Parks and Mark MacMillan. Grimaldi was probably the only legitimate 1st line forward on that team. Other notable players were Stephane Pattyn and Connor Gaardner (a walk on). That was not a very talented team, but Hak got them playing well at the end. 

Damn...sorry to go back on a week old post but this shi+ is the total truth.  One of my favorite Sioux squads ever!  We weren't supposed to beat Ferris (Buhler) State but won on a Connor Gaarder goal in double OT to go to the F4. (IIRC)  This was Haks finest job as a coach; taking a team that should have probably lost in the conference playoffs all the way to the Frozen Four.  We didn't know how good we had it...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Damn...sorry to go back on a week old post but this shi+ is the total truth.  One of my favorite Sioux squads ever!  We weren't supposed to beat Ferris (Buhler) State but won on a Connor Gaarder goal in double OT to go to the F4. (IIRC)  This was Haks finest job as a coach; taking a team that should have probably lost in the conference playoffs all the way to the Frozen Four.  We didn't know how good we had it...

Lot of guys on that team that bled green and white.  One thing we did get in 13-14 that we haven't the last 3 seasons is championship quality goaltending (which in turn is aided by great team d-zone play), and McIntyre (1.99 and .926 that season) played really well down the stretch that year.  

• Upvote 2

Nice article on Swanson:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/how-mac-swanson-developed-into-an-elite-hockey-player

Some pretty high praise from former UND players, coaches, and current teammates.

"His brain is on a different level than a lot of players at his age," said Jackson Keane, a former UND player who coached Swanson last season. "He continues to wear you down with small, really nice hockey plays. As the game goes on, it wears you down mentally. He's not going to burn you with his skating, but he's going to make a 30-foot saucer pass on the tape, where you're thinking, 'How did that even happen?'"

"He's one of the best passers I've ever seen in this game," Eades said. "And this is my 41st year. I've had the pleasure of working with some greats. It's like a quarterback. He's sees the first option, the second option. Some really, really good players see a third option. He sometimes sees the fourth. He has eyes in the back of his head. As he gets the puck, he already knows where it's going. A lot of great passers need to hold onto the puck for a long time. He doesn't need to."

"Obviously, his passing and offensive ability (stand out)," teammate Owen McLaughlin said. "But something I've noticed is how hard he plays and how strong he is in puck battles. I think that goes a little bit unnoticed sometimes, because he's a smaller guy."

• Upvote 1

On 10/15/2024 at 12:18 AM, farce poobah said:

Lot of guys on that team that bled green and white.  One thing we did get in 13-14 that we haven't the last 3 seasons is championship quality goaltending (which in turn is aided by great team d-zone play), and McIntyre (1.99 and .926 that season) played really well down the stretch that year.  

THIS, we need a goaltender to step up when it matters at the end of the season.  It seems they've gone the other way lately.

• Upvote 2