SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

With Jammer getting captaincy, this now makes 3 in a row that speak to what Bubs recruits. 

Yes we all want wins. Yes we all want ships. 

But if they can have success and do well, regardless of record, and have the character of Senden, Gaber, and now Jamernik, I’m ok with the program. They’re high character people that hopefully they can mold into nhl talent. That is a win. 

Happy to see 27 get the C

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

Yes we all want wins. Yes we all want ships. 

But if they can have success and do well, regardless of record, and have the character of Senden, Gaber, and now Jamernik, I’m ok with the program.

Once wins and banners become optional, we become like the programs just hoping to make the tournament once in awhile (Michigan Tech, Bemidji State, Northern Michigan, LSSU). I don't want to go there.

The most successful programs generally have high character players who are also good in the classroom. Those things are usually connected and not mutually exclusive.

Berry and company did a great job turning this team around last season and the addition of Dillon Simpson to the coaching staff was great. Now they just have to figure out why this team fades down the stretch after being so good most of the season.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Langster019 said:

But if they can have success and do well, regardless of record, and have the character of Senden, Gaber, and now Jamernik, I’m ok with the program. 

You're forgiven if this blurb was written under duress, under the influence, if you were experiencing a psychotic break from reality or if you were in a public venue with Gopher players & their slackness was transmitted to you.

Complacency leads to mediocrity. As one of the premiere hockey teams in the nation, it's incumbent for this program to always reach for the stars, year in & year out. May this team always be a reflection of its fanbase: full of piss & vinegar and may they always be contending for a NC.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Now they just have to figure out why this team fades down the stretch after being so good most of the season.

Maybe the coaching staff can stop treating the Penrose like it's the Holy Grail for the team. Last year the players were celebrating the regular season championship by skating the trophy around the rink, hooting & hollering.  Premature celebrating & the consequent let-down the remainder of the season when they couldn't seem to recover their spent mojo. It's only natural for a team to have a drop in performance in their remaining games if they blow their load too soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, .357 said:

You're forgiven if this blurb was written under duress, under the influence, if you were experiencing a psychotic break from reality or if you were in a public venue with Gopher players & their slackness was transmitted to you.

Complacency leads to mediocrity. As one of the premiere hockey teams in the nation, it's incumbent for this program to always reach for the stars, year in & year out. May this team always be a reflection of its fanbase: full of piss & vinegar and may they always be contending for a NC.

Maybe the coaching staff can stop treating the Penrose like it's the Holy Grail for the team. Last year the players were celebrating the regular season championship by skating the trophy around the rink, hooting & hollering.  Premature celebrating & the consequent let-down the remainder of the season when they couldn't seem to recover their spent mojo. It's only natural for a team to have a drop in performance in their remaining games if they blow their load too soon.

The Penrose is an 8% bonus for BB. That's a sweet little $36,000 at $450K@ year salary. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2024 at 1:45 PM, Sweethockey said:

The Penrose is an 8% bonus for BB. That's a sweet little $36,000 at $450K@ year salary. 

I have no problem with a nice bonus for leading the team to the best conference record in the best conference in the country.  A whole lot different than winning the conference tourney.  

• Upvote 4

Well it’s time to start guessing lineups again because I want the season to be here.  What do you all think of this?

Boisvert-Berg-Kunz 
Swanson-Omac-Perron
James-Wilkie-Strinden
Croal-Jammer-Schmaltz

Andrew-Monty-Littler

Livanavage-Zmolek
Wiebe-Emery 
Strathmann-Macdonald  

Jubenvill-Komzak

Semptimphelter
Hedquist
Johnson

Seems like Kunz will be playing top 6 (or top 9) mins this year for sure based on what Bubs said in the Captain’s article from the Herald. Every forward line has 2 separate guys that can play center. I could maybe see Wiebe playing with Strathmann to start the year since Wiebe can play on the right side well.  

1 hour ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Well it’s time to start guessing lineups again because I want the season to be here.  What do you all think of this?

Boisvert-Berg-Kunz 
Swanson-Omac-Perron
James-Wilkie-Strinden
Croal-Jammer-Schmaltz

Andrew-Monty-Littler

Livanavage-Zmolek
Wiebe-Emery 
Strathmann-Macdonald  

Jubenvill-Komzak

Semptimphelter
Hedquist
Johnson

Seems like Kunz will be playing top 6 (or top 9) mins this year for sure based on what Bubs said in the Captain’s article from the Herald. Every forward line has 2 separate guys that can play center. I could maybe see Wiebe playing with Strathmann to start the year since Wiebe can play on the right side well.  

Zmolek's gonna block about a million pucks again this year.  Love that guy!

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Boisvert-Berg-Kunz 
Swanson-Omac-Perron
James-Wilkie-Strinden
Croal-Jammer-Schmaltz

Andrew-Monty-Littler

Livanavage-Zmolek
Wiebe-Emery 
Strathmann-Macdonald  

Jubenvill-Komzak

Semptimphelter
Hedquist
Johnson

Tons of offensive potential on that 2nd line, but they might get tossed around a bit since they're all small/slight. 
So I just put Berg with two of them and had OMac with Boisvert.
The rest of my lineup ended up the exact same as yours.

Perron - Berg - Swanson
OMac - Boisvert - Kunz

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Boisvert-Berg-Kunz 
Swanson-Omac-Perron
James-Wilkie-Strinden
Croal-Jammer-Schmaltz

Andrew-Monty-Littler

Livanavage-Zmolek
Wiebe-Emery 
Strathmann-Macdonald  

Jubenvill-Komzak

Semptimphelter
Hedquist
Johnson

Lineup looks good. I’d try Boisvert at C out of the gate and like someone else posted. May want to get some size on that 2nd line.Top nine looks solid though and that 4th is nasty. 

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

8%- Frozen 4 appearance What the asst. coaches get? Not a clue.

10%-National championship game appearance

20%- National champions

The way things are going he’s going to need a, win a game in the NCAA tournament bonus ;):D

• Upvote 4

Boisvert-Berg-Kunz 
Swanson-Omac-Perron
James-Wilkie-Strinden
Croal-Jammer-Schmaltz
Andrew-Monty-Littler

My critique: 

That won't be Game 1. Come second half, maybe. Why? 

First two lines do not have enough "defensive responsibility". Swanson and Perron are not big and will be taken advantage of. Kunz can forget to backcheck at times, so can OMac, and Boisvert is a freshman. If OMac and Kunz prove me wrong I'll accept it. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Lineup looks good. I’d try Boisvert at C out of the gate and like someone else posted. May want to get some size on that 2nd line.Top nine looks solid though and that 4th is nasty. 

Yeah we seem to be set up for better depth this year. Our top end is lower initially without Blake and gaber but we have the guys that can grow into it very well. If the 3rd line ends up being some semblance of what I had, that would be a top 6 on most teams.

15 hours ago, brianvf said:

Tons of offensive potential on that 2nd line, but they might get tossed around a bit since they're all small/slight. 
So I just put Berg with two of them and had OMac with Boisvert.
The rest of my lineup ended up the exact same as yours.

Perron - Berg - Swanson
OMac - Boisvert - Kunz

I actually had that same setup for top 6 in my first 3 drafts (except Omac starting at center) and I just couldn’t decide haha. I knew I wanted a playmaker like Swanson with a shooter like Perron but I had a hard time deciding where the rest of the top 6 would fall 

On 8/21/2024 at 1:40 PM, omahasioux1 said:

I plan on going to Oxford this year, Anybody give me any tips on where to stay and restaurants? 

We went last year and stayed at the Elm's.  Nice hotel downtown close to restaurants and bars. The authentic german restaurant and speakeasy's were my favorite, but had a great time everywhere we went.  The Arena is an easy walk through campus from the downtown area. Had a lot of fun with both the ND and Redhawk fans, highly recommend the visit.