SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA tilt: UND vs the Maize and Blue

Oxbow6

5 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Deep down I think we all knew this was going to be the end result after watching the last month or so. The sweep at home by CC, followed by the sweep at CC and then Omaha and the loss at the Frozen Faceoff, again to Omaha, were all pretty bad signs that we were trending in the wrong direction. It upsets me that this now seems like the norm with BB. I I hope he along with the rest of the coaching staff have some real difficult conversations b

I’m normally really nervous leading up to and during the games. Didn’t have that feeling at all tonight. I didn’t think we would for sure win so wasn’t going to get worked up with high expectations. Sad that I didn’t have those expectations for this super talented team. Knew there was hope we could pull it off after getting down 2 goal all the way until those last seconds clicked off. Sad day I don’t expect us to make any deep runs anymore……..

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

This is what I’ve been locking into. At this point it isn’t dumb (bad) luck. We have 1 NCAA win since 2016. That’s insane (for a program like ours).

Every 8 season's, the Engelstad arena red-light therapy beds, cryochamber, steam room, nap room, private chef making three meals a day, etc, produce 1 playoff win against the American International’s of the college hockey world.

Seems worth it. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Benny Baker said:

Every 8 season's, the Engelstad arena red-light therapy beds, cryochamber, steam room, nap room, private chef making three meals a day, etc, produce 1 playoff win against the American International’s of the college hockey world.

Seems worth it. 

For cripes sake, how many times do we have to tell you that we won the Penrose old man?!

image.thumb.png.bec86742acd328f73a59ba5f0cf37dce.png

2 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Seems worth it. 

Clearly more hot tubs and pool tables are needed. 

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

This is what I’ve been locking into. At this point it isn’t dumb (bad) luck. We have 1 NCAA win since 2016. That’s insane (for a program like ours).

Yes, and most of us that have been defending Berry have pointed out some unusual circumstances and nice performances and said we’ll see how he does next time, especially in the tournament when that has always been the point of contention.  Well, this game they had a chance to win one period and move on.

Like I said, Berry knows the pressure that comes with coaching here, and he needs to own it, that they have peaked too early on many occasions and that his class management has been nothing short of horrible compared to Hakstol.  

Thankfully, it looks like it should be back on track with a few guys playing an extra year of juniors, and not needing the portal as extensively this year, but he still needs to find a way where they are playing so good at the end of the year that they can roll through league playoffs and a realistic run at the National Championship. 

We get that Berry is a players coach, but there needs to be more accountability and playing less favorites.  Schmaltz playing in the last 3 minutes when you need a goal to tie seems a bit odd, considering his output.  

• Upvote 2

And there's no such thing as "get them next year" or "We have a young team"

It's now: every year is basically a new team because of all the transfers. 

This year was not an exemption. It was the rule.

36 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

And the Goon Twitter post was just posted. I was waiting for that :) In all seriousness I am not in the axe berry camp…because I’m not sure who they’d even replace him with (and he seems like an awesome guy). But can completely understand why someone would want to assess the situation. Some of the kool aid drinkers are hilarious. 

Player parents need to stay off social media!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Just saw a formal Und great tweet…you can’t “transfer” tradition 

Was just going to say I have heard stories from people who are friends with former players say that the word is they think UND is a bit soft.  Obviously teams like Omaha and CC have managed to grind it out against us, but we aren’t really even remotely able to grind it out and cycle the puck to wear the opposition down. That used to be a staple of our teams and “culture”.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

It's never been about being right or wrong.  It's about holding UND to the standard that it should be held to in the college hockey world.  Just look at what Brad inherited and look what we've accomplished since.  I can appreciate some NCHC titles, but I just don't those matter a ton.  I'm not even expecting titles...too much puck luck in one-and-done format tourneys.  What I want to see is having top-tier talent excited to play for our program.  I want the national pundits to rave about UND like they used to.  I want the fanbase to be excited out of their minds for two weeks with another pending trip to the Frozen Four even if it ends in tears.  The Penrose is a slow burn that no one thinks about until you have the trophy.

Hak also constantly lost elite talent to the NHL every year! Who has Berry lost early in comparison? Berry has his pick off the portal every year and still can’t win a tournament game!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Was just going to say I have heard stories from people who are friends with former players say that the word is they think UND is a bit soft.  Obviously teams like Omaha and CC have managed to grind it out against us, but we aren’t really even remotely able to grind it out and cycle the puck to wear the opposition down. That used to be a staple of our teams and “culture”.

Lesser talented teams have to "grind/cycle."

Skilled teams use skill and don't "grind," it would be a waste of talent.

All 8 games were more or less skilled vs grind teams....all close games...with all non grind teams winning. (Cornell vs Maine and Michigan vs UND = tossup....evenly matched)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Lesser talented teams have to "grind/cycle."

Skill Teams use skill and don't "grind," it would be a waste of talent.

You still need guys that are hard to play against and can wear the other team down.  We have a few, but not many Rylan Kaip or Rory McMahon types. Even Minnesota figured that out.

23 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I’m normally really nervous leading up to and during the games. Didn’t have that feeling at all tonight. I didn’t think we would for sure win so wasn’t going to get worked up with high expectations. Sad that I didn’t have those expectations for this super talented team. Knew there was hope we could pull it off after getting down 2 goal all the way until those last seconds clicked off. Sad day I don’t expect us to make any deep runs anymore……..

yeah, I had pretty much those same feelings leading up to the game.  Knew we were good enough to win, but didn't expect it to happen.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Seems worth it. 

ouch!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Seems worth it. 

Pretty much nailed it.  The building and the amenities inside have eclipsed any accomplishments on the scoreboard.  And yet nothing will change until attendance dwindles and interest wains.  But why would attendance ever dwindle? The game night experience is second to none! It’s a weird conundrum.