SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Denver Friday Night

cowboys5xsbs

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

That Blake to McLaughlin goal was very similar to the Scmaltz to Caggiula goal in the 2016 National Championship game. 

A remarkable demonstration of skill on that goal.   Not sure which was better: Blake's pass threading the needle between traffic in front of net, or McLaughlin's shot. 

Instant classic. Worthy of a nickname. Ideas?

"Sticks Up" Game: props to Blake for doing it on goal 4, Berg for skating right in front of their bench with it on 7, and everyone who celebrated the W with it after the final buzzer. Keep it going tonight, maybe later in the season too.

"Altitude Room" Game: in the college sports arms race, new must-have amenity just dropped. Does anyone know who is behind it, i.e. NASA, UND aerospace, private sector, etc.?

On Gaber's goal it was so painfully obvious what they were doing, somehow their players didn't know what to expect though. Their PK is having an extra video session today.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

"Sticks Up" Game: props to Blake for doing it on goal 4, Berg for skating right in front of their bench with it on 7, and everyone who celebrated the W with it after the final buzzer. Keep it going tonight, maybe later in the season too.

"Altitude Room" Game: in the college sports arms race, new must-have amenity just dropped. Does anyone know who is behind it, i.e. NASA, UND aerospace, private sector, etc.?

On Gaber's goal it was so painfully obvious what they were doing, somehow their players didn't know what to expect though. Their PK is having an extra video session today.

I’ve noticed a thing DU does where after they score, they skate by the opposing bench with their sticks raised high in the air. They did this all weekend long when they curb stomped CC and I noticed it again last night. I don’t recall seeing any other team doing that, or am I missing something? I didn’t notice UND do it until after their comeback started. Perhaps turnabout is fair play? Wonder if that ticked the UND bench off a little bit when DU was doing that hence Blake and Berg and I think maybe Jamernik doing it during their third period rally. 

Edit: I recall seeing CC’s Noah Laba do it when he scored a pretty breakaway goal for the Tigers in the Saturday game at home in response to DU doing it as well. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

It is an incredibly douchey celly and that's clearly why we kept doing it as a response. Loved it so much. 

+1

Jammer mentioned it postgame but I can’t find the quote now online. I wondered if DU had done it in previous games…sounds like they had. 

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It is an incredibly douchey celly and that's clearly why we kept doing it as a response. Loved it so much. 

It so is. I hope UND doesn’t make it a standard practice to do that but I was glad to see our boys respond in kind last night. Just a very petty immature thing to do-trying to embarrass your opponent like that. 

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

+1

Jammer mentioned it postgame but I can’t find the quote now online. I wondered if DU had done it in previous games…sounds like they had. 

I can’t say if DU has done it in all of their games so far but they certainly did it against CC because I witnessed it. It pissed me off. Bad enough they’ve had their way against us for over a decade, don’t need to be a holes about it on top of that. 

6 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I can’t say if DU has done it in all of their games so far but they certainly did it against CC because I witnessed it. It pissed me off. Bad enough they’ve had their way against us for over a decade, don’t need to be a holes about it on top of that. 

DU can’t help it…it’s who they are.;)

• Upvote 1

On Gaber's goal, he and Pyke were playing catch, then the third time, the forward marking Gaber went to a knee in the middle to block a lane for Pyke, and that opened up the ice for Gaber.  Pyke got him the puck, Jammer set a textbook screen, and Gaber hit the spot.  The PP has actually been pretty good when they get it set up, but they have just struggled so much getting there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

"John Fitzgerald, our exercise scientist, through all of his research, (determined) 9,000 feet appears to be the most beneficial," UND athletic trainer Mark Poolman said..... Who is John  Fitzgerald? Give that man a cigar!! As far as the "Sticks Up" they have to play "Put your hands up in the air" and change the word hands to sticks. Epic game in DONE-ver!

• Upvote 1

Boys need to keep shooting from the right dot. Hit at least 3 goals from Ryan Duncan's office last night. Couldn't believe they were giving us that lane. If you don't challenge Gaber or Blake from there, you're going to give up a ton. I was confident both of those shot were going to be goals before the shot happened. No defensive pressure on high end talent. I'm sure Carle will be talking to them about that today.

That was one hell of a game to watch. Back and forth, lots of scoring, highs and lows ... glad we came out on top, but even if we didn't, that was pure entertainment. Now lets go get the sweep!!! DU is going to come out pissed!!

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

From brads article it was John Fitzgerald, our exercise scientist. 

37 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

James effort and feed on tying goal at 5-5 might be one of the better plays I've seen in years. 

I watch the highlights with my son (9 year old Mite) every week since he can't stay up for all of the games. Pointed that out to him as well. Pure effort and grit. Love it!

Don't underestimate the importance of defensive zone draws against DU.  I believe their first three goals were a result of winning the faceoff in UND's zone and keeping posession until they could get a shot...Sioux seemed to get better in the last two periods in that respect.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

James effort and feed on tying goal at 5-5 might be one of the better plays I've seen in years. 

I love the north-south element he, Strinden and Berg bring.  Just head up the ice, preferably straight to the net. 

• Upvote 3