SiouxSports.com Forum

Illinois State @ UND 11/18/2023

SiouxFan100

10 hours ago, gfhockey said:

You know chaves isn’t well liked by donors when rydells arguably biggest supporter sends a customer service mgr to accept their award lmao

I think he did that to honor his employee. He doesn’t seem to care about being in the spotlight. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND had 338 yards total offense.  Was outgained by 130 yards.

Offense definitely in a major funk right now … not good. 

doesn’t put up a bunch of points, but I do think they’re the most effective when they run Z, Smith, and Skokna as a committee with a bunch of inside runs.

Too many screens and RPOs and it just gets ugly. 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

And Ziebarth is a stud.  Absent any changes,  he and Isaiah will form a formidable tandem next season.  Not to mention Seidl.

Would like to see Seidl sprinkled in a bit more on some outside runs. Kinda nice that no playoff games count towards the 4 games they can play. Maybe see some more of Tai on Saturday too? 

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Would like to see Seidl sprinkled in a bit more on some outside runs. Kinda nice that no playoff games count towards the 4 games they can play. Maybe see some more of Tai on Saturday too? 

Seidl and Tai have definitely impressed in the limited opportunities that they've had.  And their opportunities have been limited, at least in part, by the fact that our running back and receiving rooms are, IMO, pretty loaded; and also to preserve their red shirts.

8 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

And Ziebarth is a stud.  Absent any changes,  he and Isaiah will form a formidable tandem next season.  Not to mention Seidl.

Offensive line is key in all of this. Unit loses UND’s most talented player after this season: Donny Ventrelli. But 4 of 5 return, couple that with running backs you mention, and there’s big time potential.

All eyes will be on the QB position, as per usual. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Seidl and Tai have definitely impressed in the limited opportunities that they've had.  And their opportunities have been limited, at least in part, by the fact that our running back and receiving rooms are, IMO, pretty loaded; and also to preserve their red shirts.

What surprised me about Seidl is that for not being very big he seemed to run hard up the middle when he had to. 

A couple of thoughts from the game on Saturday.. maybe only interesting to me.

• Whatever cheat sheet they are using to decide if we go for one or two they should burn.  They are either reading from the wrong row or the wrong column..  Terrible
  • Kicking game has certainly improved.  CJ has a big leg and fun to watch kick FG's
  • On kickoffs our guy can clearly kick it through the endzone as he did it prior to the last drive.. so all of the short kicks are on purpose.  Im not a fan of that approach.. Im sure there are some stats somewhere as to how impactful it is so maybe Im wrong.. we seem to be the only team that I watch that consistently does that so maybe we are just ahead of the curve..
  • I wish tommy was more of a runner.  Last drive was again masterful.. say whatever you want but that guy is awesome with the game on the line.  I wish we saw that version of Tommy/Danny more often.
  • Im more convinced than ever that running the ball to set up the longer pass is the path forward this year for the team.  Hopefully we will stick with that in the playoffs.  We had some really nice plays on saturday with Belquist in motion to get the defense moving and then inside run with Gavin / Luke / Isaiah.. 
  • All teams have figured out our outside passing game... please stop.  I think we have done it so much that the d-backs just sit on it.  They usually get there as soon as the ball gets there.
  • I think our d-line has really improved this year.. and Malechi McNeal is super fun to watch. Our coverage on 3rd and long.. 4th and long etc is still baffling.

I am super excited about the playoff game on Saturday.  I think we have a decent path.  Sac St will be tough but at home.. USD is also a game where we should have a chance.  Meaningful football games in November/December are awesome.

• Upvote 1