SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ South Dakota 11/11/2023

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Lost by 4 points to the number 6 team in the country. Back off the F N ledge! 

this loss sucks because of all the points we left on the field and because we should have won this game but the season isn’t over. Still can make the playoffs and get some wins . Seed would’ve been nice but we would all still be pissed if we lose our first game in the playoffs.

I'd have almost felt better if we had lost by two scores. Tougher pill to swallow when you beat yourselves. Not to take away from what USD has done this year, but between ST and Def (for the most part) UND should have won this game. Questionable play calling is still my number one factor in this one. Stop throwing outside for 1 yard and stop running off the edge against this defense. Run it up the middle, chew the clock, convert using 3 or 4 downs. Basically, mimic our 1st drive of the day (less the INT).

They may be the #6 team in the country, but if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, we are the #7 or 8 team in the country. Instead we are on the bubble, in a do or die situation, without a seed, staring at a 7-4 record...AGAIN!

I disagree with some people about plenty with people on here who have chirped this, but it would be nice to see another step forward. 

NOW TO SEE THE POSITIVE:

We also should have won a game, on the road, against a top FCS team. IF we crawl into the playoffs, we are going to need to do this, so if we learn from our mistakes, who knows what will happen. UND has shown they can play with top teams (not consistently, but they can do it). We could very well end up back in Vermillion or Brookings at some point, or possible in MT. All of which will be tough venues. Have to dial it up and figure it out.

21 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Kelly is biggest brown nosed on this side of the rievr

he will never call a spade a spade

I like Kelly, he is the majority of why I listen to the 360 podcasts. What is he going to do, call out Bubba and Danny with Bubba's brother sitting right there? Guessing that wouldn't work well with future podcasts.

I like Shannon too, but there is definitely no questions coaching decisions there either, at least not vocally, and lets be honest, what is going to be achieved by doing so on the podcast?

Regardless, I like the insight. Love listening to their show every week.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

1. Season isn’t over. UND could win 2 playoff game this postseason and then all that complaining was for nothing.

2. This isn’t a championship team, not enough talent 

3. bubba won’t get fired this season so why call for heads when we know it won’t happen 

1. You’re correct the season isn’t over. UND could win two playoff games and I could win the lottery, don’t see either happening. 
2. No question. Whose fault is that?

3. Unfortunately this is probably true. Most likely another repeat season next year. Can’t wait to see it .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So we're 6-4 needing to win the last week of the season so we can end up on the road in the playoffs.  In the playoffs we won't be able to stop the run, while our offense doesn't attack at all but plays the field position game.....

I've seen this episode before haven't I? 

#SSDD

#DecadeByDecade

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So we're 6-4 needing to win the last week of the season so we can end up on the road in the playoffs.  In the playoffs we won't be able to stop the run, while our offense doesn't attack at all but plays the field position game.....

I've seen this episode before haven't I? 

Maybe out to Nut Sac St so the mighty MVC can flex the Big Sky like UND last year at Weber.....

3 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yes injuries catching up to us, Z is barely healthy enough to play and we don’t have a similar size back to back him up

2 hours ago, YourInSiouxCountry said:

Why don't we see more of Donavon Hunt with the injuries in the back field?

IMO the problem is not the RB room, although we could use a couple more talented bodies in that room.. yah it would have been great to have Ziebarth at full strength but Isaiah was also running super hard.  The RB's were not the problem.. the lack of calling their number in the 2nd half was the problem.  Committing to the run solves a ton of problems when the QB struggles to throw the ball downfield.  It helps the O-line out.. it helps the defense out.. and it actually helps the QB/WR out.

This game was as frustrating of a game as Ive watched all year although there have been a few.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Doesn't matter if they don't give them the ball when there is only 6 in the box. 

Sorry but I'm going to beat this like a dead horse........think it was early 4th quarter....and we are about mid field. We pick up 7 yards on a run around the right side. It's 2nd and 3 on roughly 45 yard line....I think. We line up....there are 4 DL and only 2 linebackers anywhere near the box. Could have easily run it but we throw a 1 yard pass to Q and he drops it, wouldn't have gained much on the play anyway....although they almost intercepted it too. Now its 3rd and 3.....6 in the box again and we throw another incomplete pass and punt. Just felt like we could have rammed it down their throats.... especially with only 6 in the box. I don't get it. I like Danny, but this was just bad. 

If you could have told me we'd give up 14 points we would have taken that all day long. Those long yardage situations completely sucked, but this is not on the defense. 

^^^^^^ thought the same thing about that drive....can't happen.

Defense did alright but some costly untimely undisciplined penalties cost us big time. Why we let single players kill us is tough. We just didn’t seem to adjust. 82 just killed us today, 

That being said, 14 points as a result of just flat out hustle and grit kept this game close. 

We needed our offensive guys to play big, they didn’t. Tommy, Beau, Wesley, Gavin and Isiah didn’t play big enough. It was on a platter for us and we slipped on the turf. 

8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Elijah Klein is probably the most under utilized player in the team. Such a big body and Target out there. But he doesn’t run screens so he is never out there. The guy could be a stud and Danny doesn’t use him. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him transfer out of here next season. What a shame. 

Bo wasn’t used today either 

this is on Danny, he is the one making the calls

the average fan sees what’s going on and says wtf was that call

until Bubba is gone it will keep repeating itself , he is one of the most stubborn coaches I’ve seen 

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Elijah Klein is probably the most under utilized player in the team. Such a big body and Target out there. But he doesn’t run screens so he is never out there. The guy could be a stud and Danny doesn’t use him. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him transfer out of here next season. What a shame. 

Agree, has their been an incomplete pass thrown his way this year yet? Seems like it's either been complete or a penalty every time we've thrown to him. I'm quite sure I'm wrong and there have been incomplete passes to him, but seems like it's always positive. Remember that late throw Feeney tossed down to him and he made a circus catch for a TD? I mean isn't that exactly why recruited a kid like that? WTF 

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Especially when you don’t have a downfield presence.  How about some back shoulder throws to a guy who can go up and get it. Would help to open up their bubble screens which everybody is on to.

7 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I like Kelly, he is the majority of why I listen to the 360 podcasts. What is he going to do, call out Bubba and Danny with Bubba's brother sitting right there? Guessing that wouldn't work well with future podcasts.

I like Shannon too, but there is definitely no questions coaching decisions there either, at least not vocally, and lets be honest, what is going to be achieved by doing so on the podcast?

Regardless, I like the insight. Love listening to their show every week.

Agree with this 100 percent. Love hearing Kellys insight and all the guys on the podcast. But ya he can't can't always say everything he is thinking regarding coaching for obvious reasons.....but who cares, I think we all get that....and it's not like him calling out Bubba or others will magically turn a loss into a win. Kelly did say he thought we were going to lose today, I think he calls it like hey sees it most of the time. 

• Upvote 2