SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Murray State

Nodak78

12 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Before the season started, if we knew our record would be 6-3 heading to Vermilion, and one of the six wins was against NDSU, that would have sounded pretty satisfying (to me at least).  Still have a shot at our goals. 

Sounds par for the course honestly. Need to finish 8-3 for this season to show progress, which like you say, is still possible at this point. NDSU win will always be highlighted, but they are not the same team this year. They’re losing handily vs SDSU now. 

1 hour ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Shouldn’t we at least have a QB with some aspirations of professional football. Tommy looks like a qb that is ready to hang up the cleats. Sad to watch.

56 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Williams is the type of QB we need

Lol. Thinking Tommy and the offense was the problem at all today. They punted once. 

18-23 for 279 and 5 TD's against a poor defense vs. 19-36 and 3 TD's against a defense that was allergic to covering, getting pressure and tackling today 

48 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I predict a holding call coming on us when a 2-6 team hasn't had a penalty enforced on them all game......

You underestimated what was going to happen that last drive but just a little bit. 

42 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Sorry but I'd like to at least see an open competition. This isn't a monarchy where the throne is inherited. We need some fresh ideas, and I'd like to at least hear some different visions for what this program can be. 

What does this even mean? Interview new coaches every off season? Who in the world would sign up for that, coaches or players. 

But for real, defensive effort is very concerning the last 6 quarters. Pressure can't get home, tackling not there and questionable coverage and committing of penalties (though a few at the end were brutal). McNaboe missing doesn't help. Need to clean that up fast. At least the offense looked good today. I'd bet the over next week. 

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sounds par for the course honestly. Need to finish 8-3 for this season to show progress, which like you say, is still possible at this point. NDSU win will always be highlighted, but they are not the same team this year. They’re losing handily vs SDSU now. 

Or SDSU is just that damn good.

I felt this game would be tougher than it should because they know we struggle on the road and we gave up tons of plays to get ISU in position for a win. Bad team with confidence is dangerous.

Offensive line did great, though they were bad, looking forward to a full healthy backfield. Wideouts blocked and caught well. Offense need a clean game and make plays to silence their crowd.

Defense needed to make stops to break their will and unfortunately giving them 3rd and long and 4th and long we lose contain, bust coverage or penalties…. gave the belief. Really need to play with swag and not be hesitant. Best defense forgets the f-ups and looks forward in stopping the next set of plays and dominating the offense.

South Dakota was out gained and less than 200 yards of offense. That tells me out defense needs to find ways to get stops so our offense can get in rhythm and score some points and win time of possession.  Our defense will not hold them under 200 (I wish they could but we may not have the horses up front to do it ), but force a few turnovers would help with that. 

Team has go in with the mentality they need the win and not think we have a home game to give us a playoff chance. 

• Upvote 1

Tommy can look good to great against average to poor defenses. The problem I see is when we face a real good defense. The two yard bubble screens just don’t work the same and he can’t seem to be able to throw downfield with any consistency. The good defenses know it and can tighten the box even more which makes the offense struggle to run the ball. Too many times we make a two yard throw and expect the player to pickup the five or six yards on third down. 

8 minutes ago, shep said:

How many in the country are?

Should be SDSU and Montana State in the championship. If one of them stumbles, it should be there for the taking the other one. If they both stumble (for some reason), then it’s wide open. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

What does this even mean? Interview new coaches every off season? Who in the world would sign up for that, coaches or players. 

Come on. I was responding to a post that said Bubba should just hand the reigns to Danny. I was saying if Bubba leaves I think the hire needs to be an open competition. Not sure how that could be interpreted as we need new coaches every year.

30 minutes ago, nodakvindy said:

Come on. I was responding to a post that said Bubba should just hand the reigns to Danny. I was saying if Bubba leaves I think the hire needs to be an open competition. Not sure how that could be interpreted as we need new coaches every year.

That makes a lot more sense. Given some of the other nonsense, it's tough to not what half the posts mean anymore. 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

But there’s no way I would trade Tommy for Murray’s QB.

I’m not so sure about this. Their QB is the exact style of play QB that UND needs to take that next step.

Game manager QB isn’t going to get it done against good to great teams. We have hit our ceiling under Tommy. 

2 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I’m not so sure about this. Their QB is the exact style of play QB that UND needs to take that next step.

Game manager QB isn’t going to get it done against good to great teams. We have hit our ceiling under Tommy. 

Game manager QB would work if we had a good defense, which we do not.

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Game manager QB would work if we had a good defense, which we do not.

Disagree. ndsu had as good of defense as you’ll get during that run. Jensen, Stick, and Lance all had to make big plays against good teams. Game manager can only get you so far

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

That makes a lot more sense. Given some of the other nonsense, it's tough to not what half the posts mean anymore. 

Not too challenging of a concept. 
-Bubba under contract until 2025

- UND is awful on the road and has one 1 playoff game win in the past 10 years of Bubba being head coach (I repeat, one win in the past 10 seasons!). 

-UND defense in 2023 is bad. 

-Danny Freund is associate head coach and OC. He is next in-line for HC job if Bubba were to leave before his contract expires (or even if contract expires) and ask that job go to current staff member. 

- ultimately, I agree an open competition (job opening) would be the best for UND football, but would that happen with Chaves given the above? Chaves extended Bubba Schweigert in 2021 despite going 5-6 and the team has not shown substantial improvement since. 1 playoff appearance since 2021 extension; only 1 playoff win for Bubba as HC in an asterisk season of 2020 (spring 2021 COVID season where several programs weren’t participating and several games were canceled). To be enamored with the current (and previous decade plus) leadership is impossible unless you’re significantly biased or misinformed. 

- UND football needs new leadership if you want to see UND be a true national championship contender. 

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not too challenging of a concept. 
-Bubba under contract until 2025

- UND is awful on the road and has one 1 playoff game in the past 10 years of Bubba being head coach. 

-UND defense in 2023 is bad. 

-Danny Freund is associate head coach and OC. He is next in-line for HC job if Bubba were to leave before his contract expires (or even if contract expires) and ask that job go to current staff member. 

- ultimately, I agree an open competition (job opening) would be the best for UND football, but would that happen with Chaves given the above? Chaves extended Bubba Schweigert in 2021 despite going 5-6 and the team had not shown substantial improvement since. 1 playoff appearance, only 1 playoff win in an asterisk season of 2020 (spring 2021 COVID season where several programs weren’t participating and several games were canceled). To be enamored with the current (and previous decade plus) leadership is impossible unless you’re significantly biased or misinformed. 

- UND football needs new leadership if you want to see UND be a true national championship contender. 

We need to win on the road and we won today to go to 6-3 and your narrative never changes. 

Ad nauseam.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1