SiouxSports.com Forum

The UND @ Boise State 9/16/2023

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

I agree with this. Boise lost to the #10 team (at the time) in Washington and a P5 UCF. They're 0-2, but it's not like they've been playing scrubs. I would expect an enormous effort by Boise, and we would need to play a near perfect game to take them down. 

To be fair, we need to play a near perfect game to beat SDSU and NDSU, also. This is minimally different, other than the larger crowd, blue turf, FBS vs FCS, blah, blah, blah… don’t get caught up in all that hype.

It is still football. 11 vs 11. Team that best takes care of the ball and is most physically and mentally prepared will win. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You’re already hedging that UND can’t beat 2 of these 3: Boise, SDSU, NDSU. You’re sandbagging and lowering expectations to only winning 1 of the 3.
I don’t think those results are going to get UND to the next tier. Just the honest to God truth. As such, need to aim higher. Beat Boise. Beat SDSU. Beat ag school. Can’t beat all 3, fine, okay. Cant beat 2 of the 3, then we have problems. 

He's just pulling a Dom. A lot of posters on here are not much different than Mr. Dom. Always gotta hedge. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You’re already hedging that UND can’t beat 2 of these 3: Boise, SDSU, NDSU. You’re sandbagging and lowering expectations to only winning 1 of the 3.
I don’t think those results are going to get UND to the next tier. Just the honest to God truth. As such, need to aim higher. Beat Boise. Beat SDSU. Beat ag school. Can’t beat all 3, okay. cant beat 2 or all 3, then we have problems. 

And you're already predicting how the season will end based on games played in the front half of the schedule.
Things aren't as clear cut, black and white as you want to make them. That isn't how football, sports or life works.
But you've set yourself up nicely for a few months of being worked up and ranting about anything and everything if UND can't win 2 of 3 games where Massey currently has them at 15%, 17% and 28% to win. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And you're already predicting how the season will end based on games played in the front half of the schedule.
Things aren't as clear cut, black and white as you want to make them. That isn't how football, sports or life works.
But you've set yourself up nicely for a few months of being worked up and ranting about anything and everything if UND can't win 2 of 3 games where Massey currently has them at 15%, 17% and 28% to win. 

Well, I’d argue that you don’t need to see the entire script to know how it will end. That oftentimes is how football, sports, and life works, actually. Things are at times predictable. Not sure what life you’ve been living. I guess a far more unpredictable and exciting one than my own.

If you take a 100 mile trip, you don’t have to complete the entire trip in order to have a reasonable idea what the finality will look like. If the first 70 miles was all desert, the last 30 has a fair probability to also be that. It’s about probability, not possibility, and yet some on here continue to side with minimalistic chance just for the sake of arguing.  

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, I’d argue that you don’t need to see the entire script to know how it will end. That oftentimes is how football, sports, and life works, actually. Things are at times predictable. Not sure what life you’ve been living. I guess a far more unpredictable and exciting one than my own.

If you take a 100 mile trip, you don’t have to complete the entire trip in order to have a reasonable idea what the finality will look like. If the first 70 miles was all desert, the last 30 has a fair probability to also be that. It’s about probability, not possibility, and yet some on here continue to side with minimalistic chance just for the sake of arguing.  

Again, trying to pretend you know exactly what the probabilities and possibilities might be if UND can't beat the #1 team in FCS and the MWC favorite on the road and the #2 team in FCS at home all in a span of 4 games in the front half of the season is laughable. Not sure how many teams in the country at the FCS or even G5 level manage to go 3-0 or 2-1 in that stretch. Yet you claim there are major problems if they can't accomplish it, no ifs, ands or buts about it. No one is saying it can't be done, but most people also realize there is a lot of season left regardless of what happens in that short stretch.

I also see the brain trust is banding together, the point made must not be too far off. Pretty cute though.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

FWIW, If those were/are accurate odds for UND to win those games then the probable outcomes are:

3 Wins                 0.7%
3 Losses           50.8%
2 Wins 1 Loss      9.3%
1 Win 2 Losses  39.2%

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Well no matter what, our team shouldn't be intimidated at all after opening at Nebraska last year and playing well for 3 quarters. This moment shouldn't be too big for them at all. 4 quarters and get it done! 

Our offense is better this year compared to last year.  Our defense is better this year compared to last year.

Not sure if Nebraska last year is better than Boise this year.

I believe the team is primed for a victory.  Win turnover margin by 2.  Get an early lead.

• Upvote 1

Winning 1 of the “big three” and going undefeated in the others would be a pretty big step up, IMO. That doesn’t mean I don’t want more for this team. I’m just saying 9-2 is really good and I’d be excited for how far we can make it in the playoffs. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Winning 1 of the “big three” and going undefeated in the others would be a pretty big step up, IMO. That doesn’t mean I don’t want more for this team. I’m just saying 9-2 is really good and I’d be excited for how far we can make it in the playoffs. 

9-2 would definitely be a step up, and given our schedule this year it would likely Warrant a Top 8 seed in the playoffs. 

Although at this point I thinks it's useless on both sides to continue to go round and round. 

24 hours from now I think we'll have a better idea of what kind of team we've got. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Our offense is better this year compared to last year.  Our defense is better this year compared to last year.

Not sure if Nebraska last year is better than Boise this year.

I believe the team is primed for a victory.  Win turnover margin by 2.  Get an early lead.

Last year, Nebraska had its worst team in the last 50 years. No excuses - UND should have won last year.  I think Boise State is a better team than last year’s Nebraska, but as you said, thankfully UND is better, also. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

Last year, Nebraska had its worst team in the last 50 years. No excuses - UND should have won last year.  I think Boise State is a better team than last year’s Nebraska, but as you said, thankfully UND is better, also. 

This gives the margin for victory.  Win turnover margin by 2.  Get an early lead.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Again, trying to pretend you know exactly what the probabilities and possibilities might be if UND can't beat the #1 team in FCS and the MWC favorite on the road and the #2 team in FCS at home all in a span of 4 games in the front half of the season is laughable. Not sure how many teams in the country at the FCS or even G5 level manage to go 3-0 or 2-1 in that stretch. Yet you claim there are major problems if they can't accomplish it, no ifs, ands or buts about it. No one is saying it can't be done, but most people also realize there is a lot of season left regardless of what happens in that short stretch.

I also see the brain trust is banding together, the point made must not be too far off. Pretty cute though.

I don’t know the exact probabilities, but I know to eventually make a trip to Frisco to support UND in the Natty, UND needs to start beating the big boys. Day by Day - starts tomorrow in Boise. I’ll be there cheering the boys on, as per usual. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

How dare you!!!!!   Greta is mad at this blasphemy!!!!

Don't you know fan enthusiasm and exuberance is paramount to an excellent season?

People's existence is on the line here, dag nabbit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

How about we do this: everyone posts their score predictions for tomorrow. The person the furthest from the final score gets their account suspended for a week. 

Not doing a game score prediction here.

Week 1 - I had Z with breakout game

Week 2 - my prediction was Elioder was gonna have a big play, but was busy before the game and didn't get online  to post it before the game started.  Kicking myself for not getting on and posting that. 

Week 3 - I am actually going back to Elioder for another  big play. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Not doing a game score prediction here.

Week 1 - I had Z with breakout game

Week 2 - my prediction was Elioder was gonna have a big play, but was busy before the game and didn't get online  to post it before the game started.  Kicking myself for not getting on and posting that. 

Week 3 - I am actually going back to Elioder for another  big play. 

Danny has a list of plays the opponents have not seen.  I'm sure we will see 3-4 tomorrow.  Think Utah State.  That weather delay killed us.  They had time to recover from being 14 points.  Mature team is on our side.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Be careful not to turn SiouxSports into a virtual daycare center, especially with all of the “sensitivity” narrative of late (lot of sensitive folks on here), but I understand where you’re coming from. 

You are NOT sensitive?

• Upvote 2