SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

9 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Maybe this is a good move for the future so we won’t be so inbred. Danny will learn some other styles from other staffs that have been successful.

Don't leave out poaching some of their talent!  One can dream lol.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What is "excess" cash? 

What are their monthly operational cash needs?

What are their required (by lenders, by their charter) reserves of cash? 

Are they managing the funds well (not just in simple savings but managed short-term funds with market returns)? 

Do they have debt obligations, most notably to UND Athletics?

I've seen the number "$15M" cash reserves. It'd take 20x that to rebuild REA/BESC. 

Could there be more transparency? Yes.
But until I know the additional details I reserve judgement.

I don't blame the boogeyman until I know it's really scary and not a mirage. 

What people are saying is - let's see the details.  I'd like to figure out what happens to the 52% of fb ticket revenue and why it's needed.  Is it helping to pay off the Betty or ?

One thing I learned in business and helping to manage a company is that people will fill in their own details if you don't give them the information.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What is "excess" cash? 

What are their monthly operational cash needs?

What are their required (by lenders, by their charter) reserves of cash? 

Are they managing the funds well (not just in simple savings but managed short-term funds with market returns)? 

Do they have debt obligations, most notably to UND Athletics?

I've seen the number "$15M" cash reserves. It'd take 20x that to rebuild REA/BESC. 

Could there be more transparency? Yes.
But until I know the additional details I reserve judgement.

I don't blame the boogeyman until I know it's really scary and not a mirage. 

I never said in cash "reserves", specifically.  Some if it is in reserve funds and a lot of it isn't.   And I'm not saying that there is a boogeyman.  I don't think anyone is being swindled.  My speculation is that there could be some disagreement with how some of the money could be spent, so it just isn't spent at all.

Their liabilities are mostly either payables to UND for various reasons or deferred revenue.  From what I can tell, they don't have lenders either.

My overall point isn't that anyone is stealing money or anything like that.  It's that there is money that can be better utilized to help other programs, and money doesn't necessarily need to be taken away from hockey in order to do it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Again with pretending anyone is content. Again, I ask you to show me that anyone has explicitly said "good enough". 

No one is. The program needs to keep improving. But most of us just don't want to see it slide backwards for that to happen to prove some sort of point or be able to say we were "right" about something. 

Pushing for things like improved facilities, player nutrition, coaches salaries, etc. are things that move the program forward. Not withholding funds and then complaining that things aren't improving. If anything, that seems asinine to me.

-Facilities are far from the problem.  Und has excelled in that category compared to 3/4 of the fcs.    Throw that out the window.  

-coaching salaries.  This is a must to hire a competent qualified coach and staff. Can UND ponie up ? Or can they and refuse to?  

- player nutrition .  With the transfer culture now …keeping above average talent will be nearly impossible.  Money talks combined with transfer ease makes nutrition very difficult

Again …it’s been noted numerous times but extending Bubba after a s&@t season just shows the true colors for und athletics (minus hockey). Keep it simple ….keep the cheap guy.  Complacency at its best. In their eyes mediocre is better than the worst.   How about striving for the best ?  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Where is Chaves in all of this?  He cannot possibly think it's business as usual, can he?

Well, he's under contract until 2026 making at least $221K a year in Grand Forks, ND, and nearing retirement age. What motivation does he have? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Vogler, UMD OC had his offense average 37.7 points a game in 2023. I know nothing about the NSIC but he must be doing something right on offense. 

I'm thinking that he would be a good choice.  Landry or King wouldn't be bad, either.  All three former QB's.

When the time comes to select a new head coach, I hope a QB coach at an FCS school isn’t the choice.  

If you want to keep it in the UND tree there are other guys that have actually been part of the building of successful programs.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

If we hire inside the team I believe we are throwing the white flag

if we get a Landry or Luke there’s still hope 

Bubba fired Luke when he got to GF, thought Rudy was a better option.  I suppose the OC with next year HC would be enticing, but that's not the Vibe I am hearing.  

I have gut feeling Chaves comes in next week or two and extends Bubba’s contract a year based on this past year. The under lying reason is to bring outside OC giving that person that will be some continuity in the program. This would guarantee at least two or three year commitment. Second if he doesn’t we loose players and have terrible season go backwards  loss in revenues and having back to back seasons limbo could destroy the program even worse then 2013 year and then to get somebody to take over the program may set the program back even further. I believe Chaves wants continuity and having program maintains upper quality level with ability to get to championship level and within long-term goal of staying in budget. I wonder what will be reaction from people on this board if this happens. 

16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Oh my ... Luke's resume is linked above. 

I've known Luke since the 1st day he stepped on campus and we still talk.  He's surely qualified, but I don't see a way UND can lure him.