SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Just to keep things balanced are we going to blame getting physically destroyed on the strength coach? Not against the new guy in any way fwiw.

Asking for a friend, can a strength coach turn things around in six months? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

Asking for a friend, can a strength coach turn things around in six months? 

They can have an effect but I’ve already said it takes 3 years min to see the true effects of the new guy and really more like 8 so you have a full roster of guys that had only him as a strength coach in college.

• Upvote 1

History tells me that we win out next 3 games and lose the next 3 after that.  Hope I am proved wrong and we can knock off at least one of the Sodak schools at home. 8-4 is the low bar set now for the rest of the year.  Anything short of that would be a major disappointment.

That was exhausting from a standpoint of our "hopes" were so high but reality kicked in, again.  The thing is our die-hard fanbase is big enough that it doesn't matter to the AD. Attendance is up (due to the 4 wins) and that is all that matters because it means things must be going alright. Which is the state of the program for the last 17 years - alright.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

That was exhausting from a standpoint of our "hopes" were so high but reality kicked in, again.  The thing is our die-hard fanbase is big enough that it doesn't matter to the AD. Attendance is up (due to the 4 wins) and that is all that matters because it means things must be going alright. Which is the state of the program for the last 17 years - alright.  

I get what you are saying, but that means in order to induce change at the top of the FB program, the die-hard and loyal supporters need to stop going to games?

I am all for making sacrifices that will pay off in the future, but it is insane that it comes to that.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

History tells me that we win out next 3 games and lose the next 3 after that.  Hope I am proved wrong and we can knock off at least one of the Sodak schools at home. 8-4 is the low bar set now for the rest of the year.  Anything short of that would be a major disappointment.

Haven’t looked at your schedule but I don’t foresee beating either SD school. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Haven’t looked at your schedule but I don’t foresee beating either SD school. 

Only thing is that they are both at home, with likely big crowds. Prior history suggests on the road we would have no chance, but you never know in the Alerus Center.

• Like 1

Maybe the reverse of last year will happen.  Instead of a blowout victory over NDSU leading to a collapse, the blowout defeat will be a turnaround.  Lots of things in UND's favor yet: a bye week at a strategic time, weak road opponents, high profile home games.  Still hoping for 9-3 (or better).

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I get what you are saying, but that means in order to induce change at the top of the FB program, the die-hard and loyal supporters need to stop going to games?

I am all for making sacrifices that will pay off in the future, but it is insane that it comes to that.

Lets think for a sec - how does change come about in college athletics?  Apathy, losing, loss of revenue, declining interest, donors checking out......

I am not saying they NEED to stop going to games, it just happens. And right now it isn't happening.  

On 10/6/2024 at 10:23 AM, Irish said:

Bubba's gonna Bubba - he is hardwired - this is totally on Chaves.  

Chaves didn’t play. His primary role is to oversee the athletic department and put our teams and coaches in a position to be successful. I believe our FB program has the necessary resources to be successful. He , and the selection committee, are responsible for hires. At this point in the season it accomplishes nothing to kick that dead horse again. Those issues need to be addressed at the end of each season. 

For those who have played, I doubt you  blamed others for lack of success.  If you did, that’s why you sucked.  When you were successful it was because you made it happen. 

Some may disagree, but the success and struggles are squarely on the shoulders of our players and coaches. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Who is the one that gives coaches with .500 winning records endless contract extensions?

I'd say that person definitely has a role in the lack of success from our athletic programs. 

Good point, but I think the ultimate decision-maker is Armacost.

If the President of UND made a commitment to excellence in athletics and held Chaves and the coaches accountable for their performance (or lack thereof), I think you would see some positive changes.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Chaves didn’t play. His primary role is to oversee the athletic department and put our teams and coaches in a position to be successful. I believe our FB program has the necessary resources to be successful. He , and the selection committee, are responsible for hires. At this point in the season it accomplishes nothing to kick that dead horse again. Those issues need to be addressed at the end of each season. 

For those who have played, I doubt you  blamed others for lack of success.  If you did, that’s why you sucked.  When you were successful it was because you made it happen. 

Some may disagree, but the success and struggles are squarely on the shoulders of our players and coaches. 

Missed the point, but I understand where you’re coming from with your facetious response.

Getting blown out by NDSU time and time again, and consistently losing road games, and having zero playoff success, does all come down to the players and coaches, but the processes in place to select, employ, and terminate coaches, and also select/recruit the student-athletes, are all reasonable discussion points in due time. As for timing, it is not appropriate at this juncture, but certainly will be (again) in December/January. They were brought up last December/January, and again are being brought up now. I do appreciate @iramurphy perspective and opinions, truthfully, because it provides great insight into the faction that supports Bubba’s tenure, albeit justifiably overstayed. I’ll defer further comment on coach employment until this December/January, when the timing is again appropriate. 

• Upvote 1