SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

3 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

D coordinator job opened in February, and our defense was a disaster. Very unlikely we would have had an outside candidate that was worthwhile.

True, but how much of that was because of our defensive coordinator vs. the lack of size and skill we had on the field.

D-Line has been undersized forever. OLB are long or fast enough. Safety has been an issue for a while. CB is the one area where coaching seemed to really lack in changing our approach, we seem to have the speed and athleticism, but consistently give receivers 10 yards of cushion to make catches. It doesn't even look like our CBs want to approach the WR until he has completed the catch, then we go after them (and miss tackles).

For Bubba to boast that this is a defensive minded team is a joke. I wouldn't hang my hat on that if I was him.

I do chuckle a little bit...while I am troubled by Danny's departure, some threads on here have had posts by the usual negative suspects that our coaches never leave because no one wants them.  Now, when one moves on the program is judged to be in shambles.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Devils said:

I do chuckle a little bit...while I am troubled by Danny's departure, some threads on here have had posts by the usual negative suspects that our coaches never leave because no one wants them.  Now, when one moves on the program is judged to be in shambles.  

There are 11 coaches.  A couple having another opportunity does not make your point

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

More on this; I can’t fathom how one could be content just because this program is doing better than they were at their worst. 2012/2013 were awful seasons, bottom of the barrel, and now you think we’re all good because we’re a “hell of a lot better” than that? That is asinine thinking. This program is better but certainly not anywhere near the best, because in the FCS, that means top 5-10. It’s very top heavy. Bubba has essentially not won a playoff game in 10 years, including some abysmal seasons (3-8 in 2017 and 5-6 in 2021) thrown in there; this program is absolutely just mediocre. It’s all smoke and mirrors to project otherwise. 

New leadership needed. Bubba has been inflated and overrated from the start, hence even the controversy regarding his hiring in 2013.

100%.  For the people saying we are better than when Muss was running the show is laughable.  How could it be worse !?!  Mussman was a mess.  Great recruiter but incredibly bad coach.  Most anyone with 3rd grade level schooling could have done better.

Bubba brought some “new life” to the program initially but now we are back to Mussman days.  It had been very evident early in bubbas time here he wasn’t head coach material.   AD and UND had other ideas.  Keep a guy that will stay here forever and don’t have to pay up for it.   Easy call for them.  

And here we sit.  Guys that bleed Kelly green are walking to South Dakota to take a lesser job. Leaves his coordinator job to take a positional job.  I can’t blame him tho.  They know football and what it takes to get to the next level.  

UND is surrounded by universities that know football.   Montana st, Montana, sdsu Ndsu.  The fcs kings are up in the north middle of the country.  Und can get there too if competency was #1 

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

I would like to know where all the negativity of the Ralph and Betty in this thread is coming from all of a sudden? 

There are some on this forum that are very jealous of hockey. Hockey has facilities, funding, fans and success. These fans like to boast that if hockey wasn't a priority and the funding was diverted to football, we would magically be perennial national champs. Of course it isn't that simple and you don't tear down one successful program to try to build another. You try to build another successful program in addition to what you have.

Now I'm a big UND football fan too, and there is no doubt they could use some additional funding, probably mostly in the form of coaching salaries (and maybe some new white jerseys), but to blaming hockey is just the quick scapegoat. Any easy way of showing how jealous they are of the success they want for the sport they don't care about.

Had Ralph donated all that money towards a football stadium, you wouldn't hear a peep from this crowd, and how great would it be if we had someone willing to donate that for football as well. It would be incredible! But most schools don't get that for any sport let alone one. The REA has been fantastic for hockey and the community. The Alerus isn't a bad facility either. Its not my person favorite, but its not a bad place to watch a game.

Rather than placing blame on the alumni that did donate a ton to the University, I'd focus more on our AD who hands out unwarranted contract extensions and can't seem to find some more money in our alumni base. It doesn't even need to be a ton more, but they do need to increase the salaries to be competitive. Maybe that will be the focus now that Phase 2 is on its way. I'm not sure it is even that much more money that would need to be raise .... I have no idea, but something needs to be done. When Bubba is gone, it would be really nice to see UND make a splash in hiring (but I doubt it). Problems run deeper at UND that money. There is also just and administrative approach and routine that never seems to change.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Thought hp2 was a game changer?

The "Field of Dreams" approach is tiring.  It's not like UND has total crap facilities currently.  Lots of influences on choosing a school but #1 is the coaching staff and belief in winning.  #2 is scholarship with NIL creeping in.  After that everything else is a distant 3rd including HP2.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Devils said:

He moved on for a demotion

not a promotion

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

There are some on this forum that are very jealous of hockey. Hockey has facilities, funding, fans and success. These fans like to boast that if hockey wasn't a priority and the funding was diverted to football, we would magically be perennial national champs. Of course it isn't that simple and you don't tear down one successful program to try to build another. You try to build another successful program in addition to what you have.

Now I'm a big UND football fan too, and there is no doubt they could use some additional funding, probably mostly in the form of coaching salaries (and maybe some new white jerseys), but to blaming hockey is just the quick scapegoat. Any easy way of showing how jealous they are of the success they want for the sport they don't care about.

Had Ralph donated all that money towards a football stadium, you wouldn't hear a peep from this crowd, and how great would it be if we had someone willing to donate that for football as well. It would be incredible! But most schools don't get that for any sport let alone one. The REA has been fantastic for hockey and the community. The Alerus isn't a bad facility either. Its not my person favorite, but its not a bad place to watch a game.

Rather than placing blame on the alumni that did donate a ton to the University, I'd focus more on our AD who hands out unwarranted contract extensions and can't seem to find some more money in our alumni base. It doesn't even need to be a ton more, but they do need to increase the salaries to be competitive. Maybe that will be the focus now that Phase 2 is on its way. I'm not sure it is even that much more money that would need to be raise .... I have no idea, but something needs to be done. When Bubba is gone, it would be really nice to see UND make a splash in hiring (but I doubt it). Problems run deeper at UND that money. There is also just and administrative approach and routine that never seems to change.

Are you you referring to me?  

25 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

and can't seem to find some more money in our alumni base

Well, unless you're one of the top 10 schools in the nation or an Ivy with a billion dollar endowment, this is the case everywhere and given what has been accomplished, a pretty short-sighted comment.
They have been constantly fundraising to help get new facilities built and improve the budget.
FCOA, Alston Awards and the buildings that have been put up or are under construction in the last decade weren't free. 
That task also falls on the Alumni Foundation and Champions Club. And given the new push with the UND Forever campaign, I would expect a lot of success the next few years.

Would it be nice if they could find a 9 figure donation somewhere? Yeah, life would be a lot easier.
Would it be nice if the contract with the REA was renegotiated to balance things out a little bit more? It is pretty complicated beyond what's been laid out here, but yes, it definitely could be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Definitely don’t have to tear down one sport to be successful in another.  SDSU “main” sport is basketball…women’s and men’s.  They have done great at doing so.  Football is second and has done great.   UND throws everything nearly 100% at hockey.   

All we hear when it comes to paying up for coaching in all other sports than hockey is …”UND doesn’t have the money”.   That’s the frustrating part 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

True, but how much of that was because of our defensive coordinator vs. the lack of size and skill we had on the field.

D-Line has been undersized forever. OLB are long or fast enough. Safety has been an issue for a while. CB is the one area where coaching seemed to really lack in changing our approach, we seem to have the speed and athleticism, but consistently give receivers 10 yards of cushion to make catches. It doesn't even look like our CBs want to approach the WR until he has completed the catch, then we go after them (and miss tackles).

For Bubba to boast that this is a defensive minded team is a joke. I wouldn't hang my hat on that if I was him.

That’s what I’m saying. We lack the skill and size needed and if a D-coordinator really did their homework why would they want this job? Especially since it opened up late 

• Upvote 1

Starting to really hope for Sam King. This is of course if he's well respected and liked with the players. I'm absolutely convinced there wouldn't be some huge step down from a play calling standpoint, so keeping continuity and more importantly, the players offensively is priority #1. The bigger picture, how to move on from Bubba as quickly as possible, without him burning the program down on his way out. 

Ideally. Promote King, keep continuity. Get portal transfers defensively. I'll take 7 wins. Bubba retires. Freund hired. Let's start the new era, Phase II done. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Some on here  say it’s not good if coaches don’t move on and then when one does it’s a disaster?

a lot of people do employment moves that aren’t a promotion because they look at what it may do for them in the future 

I guess I’m over coaches and players  moving on, we may not like it but in a few years who will remember the names 

I think Sabin saw the future of football with NIL and rightly said its  time to get out 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I like UND Hockey and Football Equally.  I would like to see rather than a new scoreboard, or new locker rooms or weight rooms at the REA, use some of that money to invest in the football program.  Seems like money is being spent the the REA on things that are not needed.  

It should be one university, but is seems like it is the Hockey program vs all other programs.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Bubba is signed thru 2025.  This is Bubba's make or break year.  They are not going to have him coach the last year of his contract without a new deal in places.  So baring a MVFC Championship or a deep playoff run, This is likely Bubba's final year.  Was already going to be a rough season, but now throw in a new OC and a new QB, it gets even tougher.  Why would an external candidate want to come into a situation like that where there is a good chance you could be let go after 1 year.  I think this will be an internal hire.  Unless someone outside just wants a shot at OC and wants to pad their resume.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Bubba is signed thru 2025.  This is Bubba's make or break year.  They are not going to have him coach the last year of his contract without a new deal in places.  So baring a MVFC Championship or a deep playoff run, This is likely Bubba's final year.  Was already going to be a rough season, but now throw in a new OC and a new QB, it gets even tougher.  Why would an external candidate want to come into a situation like that where there is a good chance you could be let go after 1 year.  I think this will be an internal hire.  Unless someone outside just wants a shot at OC and wants to pad their resume.

Let's talk this into existence. Bubba will take the decision completely out of Chaves hands. The Freund news was a shock to the system, but it also helped Bubba realize that what's best for the program is for him to step aside. 2024 will be his last year. 

The next 12 months. King hired. Great spring camp, continuity among the offensive side of the ball (no portal transfers), defense surprises. Bubba announces this will be the last year (before season). 8 wins. Bubba retires. Freund hired.  

Sad thing is Bubba is willing to throw away an entire season so he can continue to do what he wants and collect a check.  Pretty much everyone knows he should've stepped aside after the Sacramento State debacle.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

The most honest take I've seen, from UNDFootball360

Tough to be hanging around when a coach is nearing the end of his contract with no guarantee of an extension in sight. ... Now if you are Danny and have aspirations to be the head coach at your alma mater (if you stay) you are putting all your eggs in one basket. AD Bill Chaves either hires him or he is retained by the new head coach, or he is out of a job. The last two have a better chance of happening than the first if Chaves opens it up for a national search. Just never know who will apply.

Danny made a strategic move for Danny. I don't blame him. He's responding to circumstance around him. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I like UND Hockey and Football Equally.  I would like to see rather than a new scoreboard, or new locker rooms or weight rooms at the REA, use some of that money to invest in the football program.  Seems like money is being spent the the REA on things that are not needed.  

It should be one university, but is seems like it is the Hockey program vs all other programs.  

I like both sports as well.  I started out as a hockey fan, mainly, because I grew up playing and because I knew some people on the team.  The reason I became a big FB fan was because I could never get my friends to go to games with me, because "we suck" (Mussman days)..  One of the friends grew up in Fargo and would even follow Bison FB.  I want the FB program to get better so that my friends are interested enough to watch both sports.  FB could absolutely have one of the best fan bases in the country - the potential is there!  That's why I harp so much on the usage agreement with the REA.

I think it's important to note, however, that the weight room renovation and locker room were paid for, entirely, by a donation from the Engelstad Foundation.  REA/UND money was not used for those projects.  The scoreboard was 4 million Engelstad Foundation money and 2 Million REA money.  This differentiation is important because the money for the weight room and locker room renovations, specifically, could not have gone to other programs. 

There IS a bunch of money sitting over there, but from what I can tell, it isn't really being re invested in athletics.  My point is that reworking the usage agreement wouldn't necessarily hurt the hockey program at all.  I get that the usage agreement will not be changed until 2030, but if there are funding issues for FB or any of the sports at the Betty, I will bring this up.  The REA needs to be more transparent with their planning process if they aren't going to distribute more money to UND at the end of the year.  If they are holding excess cash than what is needed for day to day operations, and if they are not distributing it to UND at the end of the year, and if they are not putting it in their restricted improvements fund (where UND has more oversight as to how it is spent), then that is a problem, imo.  

• Upvote 1

What is "excess" cash? 

What are their monthly operational cash needs?

What are their required (by lenders, by their charter) reserves of cash? 

Are they managing the funds well (not just in simple savings but managed short-term funds with market returns)? 

Do they have debt obligations, most notably to UND Athletics?

I've seen the number "$15M" cash reserves. It'd take 20x that to rebuild REA/BESC. 

Could there be more transparency? Yes.
But until I know the additional details I reserve judgement.

I don't blame the boogeyman until I know it's really scary and not a mirage.