SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

2 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

They earned it. Only losses were to 2 of top 3 seeds and to another playoff team. 

Hmmm, UND lost to two of those teams also.  Only difference was UNI game.  And UND won Head to Head.  Resume not much different.  Now, NDSU is looking much better and UND has slid back since Ziebarth injury.  I think that his injury really impacted the team because he is the only running back with between the guards power.  And the offense needs to establish that up the middle power running game to open up the quick outside plays. 

While not getting seeded or an official bye.. the Bison got as close to that as you can get with Drake.  I expect that they will beat them by as many points as they want to.  Their 2nd round game though against MSU.. not so much.  I heard that MSU was a bit banged up which was why they got drilled by the Grizz.. if they are healthy that will be a tough one.

14 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

While not getting seeded or an official bye.. the Bison got as close to that as you can get with Drake.  I expect that they will beat them by as many points as they want to.  Their 2nd round game though against MSU.. not so much.  I heard that MSU was a bit banged up which was why they got drilled by the Grizz.. if they are healthy that will be a tough one.

Outdoors. Altitude. A rested (angry) MSU. Not a pleasant combo. 

17 minutes ago, Johnny Five said:

Izzo is running a poll today. Over 500 votes so far and 57% say NDSU didn't deserve a seed (insert should shrug emoji).  

Seems about right. I think you could run the same poll with the bottom 4 seeds (Albany, Montana ST, Furman, Villanova) and there would be 50+% of people thinking they shouldnt have gotten a seed.  NDSU belongs in the same discussion as those 4.. all of that being said, Im super happy they got left out.  Im loving all of my Bison buddies talking about how they just dont know what to do with a game on thanksgiving weekend and having to spend $50 on a totally crap game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

Seems about right. I think you could run the same poll with the bottom 4 seeds (Albany, Montana ST, Furman, Villanova) and there would be 50+% of people thinking they shouldnt have gotten a seed.  NDSU belongs in the same discussion as those 4.. all of that being said, Im super happy they got left out.  Im loving all of my Bison buddies talking about how they just dont know what to do with a game on thanksgiving weekend and having to spend $50 on a totally crap game.

I saw that poll too and agree with you 100%.  Honestly after the top 4 not sure anyone was a runaway deserving candidate for a seed.  There's a lot of parity (and frankly plenty of mediocrity) in this division (especially in the Big Sky and the MVFC).

Feels like the Bison got the #9 seed.  They get to avoid the rust by playing an opponent they can beat by 40 with their backups, and then catch a Bobcat team that's licking its wounds a little lately...and at the same time avoid SDSU until Frisco.  I certainly wouldn't put it past them to make a run!  I think they got a good draw when you consider everything.  Heck I feel like most fanbases feel like they got a pretty good draw...and no team screamed "SNUB" for not getting in...tip of the cap to the committee for that.

At the same time...I saw that SDSU played SEVEN playoff teams in their run of dominance this year...that's really, really impressive in my book.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

Easy one for me....HS hockey started.  Guessing the dome will be extremely empty.  Not sure what would happen in Bozeman, IMO will depend on the weather forecast.  NDSU isn't the same in the trenches this season and can't rack up 400 yards on the ground, although I do like how they've played the last few weeks.

Regardless, I think it's gonna be a good playoff....

It will be interesting to see the attendance for all of the games this weekend.  I think first round attendance is usually pretty poor overall.  I would expect that NDSU attendance will be pretty light with the additional challenges of a super weak game and the holiday weekend.  I hope that UND bucks that trend and the fans really show up for this game as it should be a good one.

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Most evenly matched (per Massey) FCS game this weekend? 
You guessed it ... 

https://masseyratings.com/cf/fcs/games?dt=20231125 

So on a neutral site Sac would be roughly a 1/2 to 1 point favorite. I like UND laying the 2.5.  I think one of 2 things happens....UND finally figures it out and plays a good game in all three phases and wins by at least 2 scores (see NDSU game) or it's a repeat rollercoaster like Saturday vs ISU but UND doesn't get the winning score late.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Might as well be Drake High School.

It's time(way past due) to put a caveat on the Pioneer League.  League Champs with a final Top #25 Ranking, both criteria need to be met.  This isn't March Madness where 1-2 key players and some hot shooting gives a BB team a legit chance.  Just a way different animal with football.

Drake #94 FCS ranked in Massey. #dangerous

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

It's time(way past due) to put a caveat on the Pioneer League.  League Champs with a final Top #25 Ranking, both criteria need to be met.  This isn't March Madness where 1-2 key players and some hot shooting gives a BB team a legit chance.  Just a way different animal with football.

Drake #94 FCS ranked in Massey. #dangerous

there are so many issues with FCS football but this is right up there.......they(pioneer league) have no business getting an auto bid.

• Like 1

For starters: analytics >>> "stogies and scotch". (PWR is a far better system.) 

Pseudo-regionalization is a joke: Per Massey ...
#13 gets #65
#9 gets #35
#8 gets #38, but ...
#10 gets #12? 

Finally, run a "bottom" FCS tournament for the HBCUs, non-scholly (Pioneer), and Ivys if they want in.

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

For starters: analytics >>> "stogies and scotch". (PWR is a far better system.) 

Pseudo-regionalization is a joke: Per Massey ...
#13 gets #65
#9 gets #35
#8 gets #38, but ...
#10 gets #12? 

Finally, run a "bottom" FCS tournament for the HBCUs, non-scholly (Pioneer), and Ivys if they want in.

Just seed the entire tournament already

• Upvote 1