SiouxSports.com Forum

ASU to NCHC

crb1

The Herald article was updated with some more details:

NCHC presidents and chancellors voted unanimously to accept the Sun Devils on Sunday night over a Zoom call after a presentation by Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson. Only six of the eight teams — a three-fourths majority — needed to vote 'yes' for expansion to happen.

Arizona State will pay the league a $500,000 entrance fee over three years.

Last season, Miami athletic director David Sayler told the View From The Glass Miami hockey blog that he was not interested in Arizona State coming to the league.

"I just have no interest in crossing another time zone to play sports," Sayler said in the Q&A. "So if the league is going to continue to push that direction, that is certainly something that would cause us to think differently about what’s going on."

But Miami did come around and vote to accept the Sun Devils.

Weems said she spoke to Miami officials after the article came out "about hockey alignment longterm, but there's nothing to report at this point."

According to multiple sources, Miami did not make a push to leave the league at the annual meetings in Florida in April. The league's exit fee is one year of operating expenses, which usually is in excess of $1 million.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Odd number not ideal. Does this mean there will be another school added or a school will be leaving?

When St. Clown was added in 1990, there were 9 teams in the WCHA for 3 seasons. In 1997?, there were 2 seasons of 9 teams again (Alaska Anchorage was added and Northern Michigan left). I don't remember how the scheduling went, but there's 5 seasons that it had been done.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

When St. Clown was added in 1990, there were 9 teams in the WCHA for 3 seasons. In 1997?, there were 2 seasons of 9 teams again (Alaska Anchorage was added and Northern Michigan left). I don't remember how the scheduling went, but there's 5 seasons that it had been done.

Holy cow, good memory!

While an odd number isn't ideal, it isn't an insurmountable issue. It's a bigger headache for the regular season, as one team will always be without a conference opponent. There are pretty standard approaches for the postseason tournament, as has been mentioned in this thread. The best* option? Top eight teams qualify. Period. It's both simple and provides a natural reward for not finishing in last place (even though teams will have a slightly differing strength-of-schedule due to the "pod" approach of regular-season scheduling).

*Best means "that which is closest to my opinion."

2 hours ago, DenverDevil said:

ASU has 2 main active sites, both Rivals and Scout, but the Hockey information is limited but getting better.

I will never understand why big fanbases like yours put up with those paid message boards that only have like one or two topics of discussion.

22 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is where the alleged "puppetmaster" ( (c) SIOUXFAN97 ) named Fenton is doing work if at all on topic. 

Locking "the unnamed, recent DI, purple-wearing, Catholic university in the Twin Cities" to the NCHC helps keep them in the Summit too, with UND, DU, and UNO. That would not be a bad thing. 

I'd say the path to the NCHC is: Be a desirable school, in a demographically good location, start hockey, prove you're serious with some wins, build a rink, and petition. 

The underlined does not favor Augustana. There's access to Sioux Falls already via SDSU and USD. And SF doesn't have potential students like MSP or AZ. 

Don't sleep on Lindenwood.  They check a lot of boxes for both Summit and NCHC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DenverDevil said:

The topics are endless but primarily focused on Football and then Men's basketball. After that it's baseball, but hockey is slowly starting to get more coverage. The great news is that our new arena has sold out its games, minus some of the premium seats in the "club" at center ice. The student body has also shown that they've bought into the program as that section is packed every game. Finally, ASU hockey is showing a $2.5M profit, making it the only sport after football and men's basketball to do so. Baseball is basically break even while everything else operates at a deficit as expected. 

I was referring to the different forums, like how at this website basketball, volleyball, fb, hockey, etc have their own categories, but I get what you're saying.  It's great to see ASU doing well - I think I heard someone within your AD say that you guys had 3 million in ticket sales.  You guys are showing that college hockey is viable in the South and it's great to see!

Arizona is building a pretty nice facility as well... as an ASU fan, do you think they potentially look at making a move after seeing ASU's success, and would you like to see them go D1?  Pretty cool their club team lined up a game against you guys to start off this upcoming season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I was referring to the different forums, like how at this website basketball, volleyball, fb, hockey, etc have their own categories, but I get what you're saying.  It's great to see ASU doing well - I think I heard someone within your AD say that you guys had 3 million in ticket sales.  You guys are showing that college hockey is viable in the South and it's great to see!

Arizona is building a pretty nice facility as well... as an ASU fan, do you think they potentially look at making a move after seeing ASU's success, and would you like to see them go D1?  Pretty cool their club team lined up a game against you guys to start off this upcoming season. 

I feel there are 4 PAC schools right now who could make the jump to NCAA D1 if they wanted to. U4 (UofA), Colorado, Utah and Oregon. And I'd love to see all of them go D1.

UofA used to have a dominant ACHA program in the 1990's. It fell off around the time ASU's ACHA program started to elevate itself towards a National Championship under Greg Powers (who is still our coach). So there's a strong following down there. There's also a lot of roller hockey league's in Tucson as well.

All four of them have really nice off campus facilities that are way better than what ASU had at Oceanside Arena (a dump for sure). CU has their rink right on campus and it could easily be expanded. That takes away the #1 issue with trying to go D1. Now they just need to figure out how to finance the program and the women's sports which would need to be added for Title IX.

Phil Knight at Oregon could write a check today if they asked. The others could look at cutting some men's sports if they wanted to. I know a lot of schools are looking at that right now, but ASU showing that the program can be profitable is a major factor I think.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Holy cow, good memory!

While an odd number isn't ideal, it isn't an insurmountable issue. It's a bigger headache for the regular season, as one team will always be without a conference opponent. There are pretty standard approaches for the postseason tournament, as has been mentioned in this thread. The best* option? Top eight teams qualify. Period. It's both simple and provides a natural reward for not finishing in last place (even though teams will have a slightly differing strength-of-schedule due to the "pod" approach of regular-season scheduling).

*Best means "that which is closest to my opinion."

I like the top 4 to a semi-final (best of 3) and a championship series (best of 3). Forget the whole damn league in the playoffs…

On 7/5/2023 at 10:16 AM, Godsmack said:

I’d be interested to hear more from the conference as to why not attempt to go for an even number of teams (10) for the conference. I’m also curious how post season format will look like with 9 teams. 

Lowest team sits