SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

1 hour ago, mikejm said:

48-20 WMU

That would partly explain last night’s outcome. I listened to David Carle’s post game interview and he touched on that, among other things as to what went wrong.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Off topic but if BU beats BC on Monday, will UND move into first in the pairwise?

If BU beats BC on Monday, the top three would be (1) BC, (2) BU, (3) UND.

If BC beats BU, the top three would be (1) BC, (2) UND, (3) BU (which is the current order as of Sunday night).

27 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

If BU beats BC on Monday, the top three would be (1) BC, (2) BU, (3) UND.

If BC beats BU, the top three would be (1) BC, (2) UND, (3) BU (which is the current order as of Sunday night).

It's a good problem to have, fighting two other teams for #1 in the PWR. Preferable to fighting for the last at-large NCAA bid.

• Upvote 2

I was today year's old when I learned that there actually exists an award for "the best American-born Division I college hockey player in New England." It's called the Walter Brown Award. That's so oddly specific. There's provincial, and then there's northeast provincial.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Kevin G said:

I was today year's old when I learned that there actually exists an award for "the best American-born Division I college hockey player in New England." It's called the Walter Brown Award. That's so oddly specific. There's provincial, and then there's northeast provincial.

So you are saying the herb brooks award is not out of question. Given to the American born player from the Midwest. 

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I'll match our Strength of Schedule and our overall depth across the board with them or anyone else.

True, but BU was the last team to hang an actual L on the boys.  Acknowledging they are a real threat doesn't diminish UND in any way.

• Upvote 2

https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-men/

There's currently 16 schools that have an attendance average of 5,000 or greater.  Looking back to 2001, there has never been a season with 16 schools averaging 5,000 or more at the end of the year.

EDIT: Schools over 3K may be a record as well.  I didn't check for every year though.  Right now there are 31, and last year there were only 25 at year end.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-men/

There's currently 16 schools that have an attendance average of 5,000 or greater.  Looking back to 2001, there has never been a season with 16 schools averaging 5,000 or more at the end of the year.

EDIT: Schools over 3K may be a record as well.  I didn't check for every year though.  Right now there are 31, and last year there were only 25 at year end.

Count me impressed you went back to 2001.

Looks like UND's lead over Wisconsin as #1 is safe for this year.  Next year, if Hastings keeps the momentum, might be a close battle. 

Latest USCHO Bracketology addresses the issue with having UMass hosting and also currently having 3 HEA #1 seeds:

https://www.uscho.com/2024/02/07/bracketology-three-hockey-east-no-1-seeds-umass-falling-to-a-no-4-seed-complicate-this-weeks-pairings-beyond-belief/

Providence, R.I.
1. Boston College
8. Denver
9. Minnesota
16. Minnesota State

Maryland Heights, Mo.
4. Maine
7. Michigan State
10. Providence
15. RIT

Sioux Falls, S.D.
3. North Dakota
6. Quinnipiac
12. Michigan
14. Cornell

Springfield, Mass.
2. Boston University
5. Wisconsin
11. Western Michigan
13, Massachusetts

Even though BU and UMass are both in HEA, they could play each other in 1st round since they are five HEA teams currently in the field:

“If five or more teams from one conference are selected to the championship, the committee may protect integrity of the bracket (i.e., maintaining the pairing process according to seed may take priority over avoidance of first-round conference matchups).

This is a tough bracket for sure.
Two very good teams in MO and Mass, and three very good teams in RI and SD.
That SD regional would definitely be more challenging than the last Bracketology.  If UND got past Cornell, they'd be rewarded with a regional final of either QU or Mich.
Ouch.