SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 NCAA Regionals

Kevin G

10 hours ago, petey23 said:

I had a couple Gopher fan friends reach out to me to see if I knew where they could maybe find some tickets. I told them I would look for them because I did not want them to see that Facebook page because of the Embarrassment by Association....Thankfully I did discover over the last couple days that Minnesota has a facebook page as well with a similar cringe factor.

Did kid yourself... gopher fans are still gopher fans and have a massive cross section folks that couldn't light a fire with a bucket of gas and a blowtorch.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Is there a winner at the end of this? 

I mean the SCSU people hate us, like love our misery....and the gophers are....the gophers....

I'm watching as a college hockey fan....

But lets be honest Gopher fans after getting a 6th would be way way WAY less obnoxious, and arrogant than the Saint cloud fans after their 1st.

... and less methy

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

But lets be honest Gopher fans after getting a 6th would be way way WAY less obnoxious, and arrogant than the Saint cloud fans after their 1st.

Nope.  I’ll be getting text messages from people I haven’t heard from since 2003.

• Upvote 1

There wasn't a winner of that game either way for us.

Like had I told the SCSU fans who talked to my kids like morons at the X that we'd be cheering for them in the NCAA tournament they likely would have told us to get lost, we don't want UND fans cheering for us.

It's been 20 years since the flagship in Minnesota won the NCAA tournament.  Heck, Grant Potulny has a 17 year old kid almost ready to play college hockey.....he played on their last title team.

It will be alright everyone....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Minny is one of most talented teams 1-19 skaters I've seen in a number of years. They are even better with TV games and all the timeout breaks.

Knies-Snuggerud-Cooley every other shift all game long.....:whistling:

It felt like SC played the same game against UND, Mankato and MN - got outplayed pretty good in the first period and then got better as the game went on.  SC was definitely in today's game and could have easily won.  Just before it went 3-1, a SC guy somehow missed putting a rebound into an open net.  

The overwhelming superiority of the big 10 that I expected to witness based on everything I've read here wasn't there.  It was two good teams going toe to toe.  I don't think the NCHC, including UND, will be down long. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Minny is one of most talented teams 1-19 skaters I've seen in a number of years. They are even better with TV games and all the timeout breaks.

Definitely and everyone loves to talk about their talented forward group and rightfully so because there is so much skill and scoring depth but man their D group needs more credit. Faber, Johnson, LaCombe, Koster, Chesley, Thomas, and Mittlestadt is right up there with our loaded group of Stecher, LaDue, Ausmus, Thompson, Poolman, and Wolanin.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, jk said:

It felt like SC played the same game against UND, Mankato and MN - got outplayed pretty good in the first period and then got better as the game went on.  SC was definitely in today's game and could have easily won.  Just before it went 3-1, a SC guy somehow missed putting a rebound into an open net.  

The overwhelming superiority of the big 10 that I expected to witness based on everything I've read here wasn't there.  It was two good teams going toe to toe.  I don't think the NCHC, including UND, will be down long. 

+1

Question: If the B1G is taking over forever and ever, why did it take 10 years? Realignment was announced in Summer 2011 and took effect in 2013. They could have started recruiting off the almighty B1G name in 2011. The math doesn't add up.

The more likely explanation is that the law of averages finally caught up with the NCHC. The NCHC was coming off 5 NCAA titles in 6 years. That wasn't going to go on forever. The B1G was going to get better eventually and have a blockbuster season like the NCHC has had several times in the past decade.

There is more recruitable talent available now than ever and the number of schools sponsoring hockey isn't likely to rise any higher than the mid to upper 60's anytime soon. So that should keep this sport highly competitive. Finally, the B1G Sky Is Falling narrative doesn't explain the successes of small schools like Quinnipiac and Denver.

UND boosters should take NIL and the emergence of the B1G seriously (I certainly do), but UND will not end up like Canisius or RIT where the main goal will be to make the tournament and maybe win a game if we are lucky. We cannot afford to let it happen. It would doom UND athletics forever.

And we must do whatever we can to prevent it from happening.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

There wasn't a winner of that game either way for us.

Like had I told the SCSU fans who talked to my kids like morons at the X that we'd be cheering for them in the NCAA tournament they likely would have told us to get lost, we don't want UND fans cheering for us.

It's been 20 years since the flagship in Minnesota won the NCAA tournament.  Heck, Grant Potulny has a 17 year old kid almost ready to play college hockey.....he played on their last title team.

It will be alright everyone....

Talked to your kids? What were they saying?