SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 NCAA Regionals

Kevin G

Who's everyone got for the one already finalized Frozen Four game...battle of the Five Title Duo?
Lesser of two evils?

Rank order of remaining teams, based on me "wanting" them to win the title:

1. Quinnipiac - Not a fan of Pecknold, but at least it keeps the title out of B10 and HE.
  2. Ohio St - could honestly flip OSU & PSU, first title
  3. Penn St - could honestly flip OSU & PSU, first title
  4. BU - they get their 6th, keeps title out of B10
  5. Michigan - don't want them to hit double digits first, but my hatred of UMN prevents me from putting them ahead
  6. Minnesota - I hope they get crushed and then have Cooley, Knies, LaCombe, Brodzinski, Nelson, Faber, Johnson, and Close all leave/sign (first part not very probable...second part quite probable)
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Who's everyone got for the one already finalized Frozen Four game...battle of the Five Title Duo?
Lesser of two evils?

1. Quinnipiac - Not a fan of Pecknold, but at least it keeps the title out of B10 and HE.
  5. Michigan - don't want them to hit double digits first, but my hatred of UMN prevents me from putting them ahead
  6. Minnesota - I hope they get crushed and then have Cooley, Knies, LaCombe, Brodzinski, Nelson, Faber, Johnson, and Close all leave/sign (first part not very probable...second part quite probable)

Flip 2 and 3, and (holding my nose) flip 5 and 6.

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Lesser of two evils?

I 100% approve of this message. :)

14 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I have the 2016 title game saved on my computer.  I watch it at least 1-2 times a year, even if I just have it playing on my 2nd monitor while I'm getting work done at night.
Such a great team and game.  Boeser's "butt" goal.  Anxious at the end of the 1st when they score their 5x3 PP after Stecher pushes Anas and he crumbles to the ice like a Mite.  The entire 2nd when you could tell UND was the superior team but the score was still too close for comfort.  And then the 3rd, where they struck early and often to win easily.  :) 

The Frozen Four Game against Denver still gives me anxiety every time I watch it but its a great game. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

The Frozen Four Game against Denver still gives me anxiety every time I watch it but its a great game. 

That was the real title game.  DU would have done the same thing to QU that we did if they would have advanced.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, brianvf said:

That was the real title game.  DU would have done the same thing to QU that we did if they would have advanced.

That’s not really fair to QU.  Lucky for UND, they didn’t go to OT against Denver because we all know what would have happened then.  And a certain program would most certainly have a job opening right about now.  Talk about altering the course of history!

10 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Question: If the B1G is taking over forever and ever, why did it take 10 years?

...the B1G Sky Is Falling narrative doesn't explain the successes of small schools like Quinnipiac and Denver.

...We cannot afford to let it happen. It would doom UND athletics forever.

And we must do whatever we can to prevent it from happening.

You started with "nothing to worry about" and ended with "we must fight for our lives!!!"

Being in the Rockies and 90 mins from NYC will likely always be a slightly stronger draw than the amenities of Grand Forks or St. Cloud. 

But I'd generally agree...Most of NCHC will still be very, very good over time. I hope, anyhow, bc college hockey needs that. But I don't think this is just law of averages for the Big. MN and Michigan, and to a slightly lesser degree, 'Sconi, will always be what they are. And schools with reps and cash like OSU and Penn State aren't going to fade away over time. They'll most likely only get better.

9 hours ago, Dustin said:

You know, this jab doesn’t bother me one bit. College hockey is better when rivalries are in tact. They could be saying “Michigan is our real rival now.” (Sound familiar?) The fact that they still jab us, just like we would jab them in the reverse position, is great. It’s still been 20 years since they raised a trophy. We’ve never had a drought that long. Also, The smaller Minnesota schools have had more success recently, so to get some of that back to the flagship is good. Honestly, I wish Wisconsin weren’t such a doormat. It seems they’ve forgotten that they were once a proud hockey school. UND, Minnesota, and Wisconsin have the biggest fanbases in college hockey. The sport is at its best when all three are relevant.  

Seems like gophers  have had 20 years of spare time at the end of each year to practice because they haven’t been raising a trophy 

good luck to Q

• Like 3

12 hours ago, brianvf said:

I have the 2016 title game saved on my computer.  I watch it at least 1-2 times a year, even if I just have it playing on my 2nd monitor while I'm getting work done at night.
Such a great team and game.  Boeser's "butt" goal.  Anxious at the end of the 1st when they score their 5x3 PP after Stecher pushes Anas and he crumbles to the ice like a Mite.  The entire 2nd when you could tell UND was the superior team but the score was still too close for comfort.  And then the 3rd, where they struck early and often to win easily.  :) 

I so wanted that matchup.....Q felt they were so great, and the whole year I kept saying that UND would work them if they met in the tournament.....man it was so nice to be right on that call

12 hours ago, AJS said:

Jokes on them, they must not have seen the current winning season active streak UND is on. 

Weak tweet.  Guessing Motzko wouldn’t approve of this.  Also, I bet their experience was top notch, as UND/REA/Scheels arena are pros at hosting regionals.  The classy thing would be to thank them for a great experience and maybe barb the fans separately. 

19 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Weak tweet.  Guessing Motzko wouldn’t approve of this.  Also, I bet their experience was top notch, as UND/REA/Scheels arena are pros at hosting regionals.  The classy thing would be to thank them for a great experience and maybe barb the fans separately. 

Or we could just laugh and let it go. I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's kind of funny. A simple 8>5 would suffice. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, Goon said:

Or we could just laugh and let it go. I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's kind of funny. A simple 8>5 would suffice. 

Oh I’m not bothered by it other than what I said.  They earned it.
I guess I mean the student intern posting things should “troll harder”. 

• Upvote 1

If we aren't winning the title I really don't feel too strongly about who does/doesn't. This year out of what is left I'd probably least like Quinnipiac(Pecknold is just such an asshole) or Michigan but other than them whatever. Minnesota winning would make my brother happy and maybe give our staff even a little more of a kick in the ass. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

If we aren't winning the title I really don't feel too strongly about who does/doesn't. This year out of what is left I'd probably least like Quinnipiac(Pecknold is just such an asshole) or Michigan but other than them whatever. Minnesota winning would make my brother happy and maybe give our staff even a little more of a kick in the ass. 

My sister Kim and I are the only UND alums in my family, the rest of my siblings love the Golden Rodents. They're like you should join us on the wagon. I said, "I would gouge my eyes out before I could cheer for the Gophers." I sorta like their football and baseball teams. My sister Holly being a DU hockey parent was hard enough to stomach. The only Minnesota team I can handle is the BSU Beavers, and I was a student there and from there. Once UND is done, I could give three s#its who wins the NCAA hockey tourney. The hockey was so bad on Friday, that I watched the World of Outlaws instead. Thank God, the Boston Bruins are doing so well this year. I also picked a good year to get my carpal tunnel surgery.