SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 NCAA Regionals

Kevin G

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Something to consider is the extra day making energy management not as important as before. Usually when up by 4 you would let your 3rd and 4th lines skate most of the game, no need now. 

That said, I fear this will be the weekend we look back at as when college hockey's golden era ended. 

The NCAA Portal authorities would like a word with you

"UND would not have gotten smacked like all these fools." 

I'm forced to agree.
Based on this season's performance UND would not have been smacked like all those fools.

It would've been worse. 

PWR 11 and 12 each lost by 4. 
PWR 14 lost by 5. 
PWR 25 lost by 10. 

UND was PWR 19. 

Hope today’s games are better than yesterday’s. Can Cornell’s defense smother BU like it did DU?

Can SCSU skate with the Gophers? Will Castor stand on his head? I’d love for Minnesota to leave North Dakota with another bad memory. 

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

"UND would not have gotten smacked like all these fools." 

I'm forced to agree.
Based on this season's performance UND would not have been smacked like all those fools.

It would've been worse. 

PWR 11 and 12 each lost by 4. 
PWR 14 lost by 5. 
PWR 25 lost by 10. 

UND was PWR 19. 

We went toe to toe with Minnesota, Denver, and Qu I don't see how you can say it would be worse.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

We went toe to toe with Minnesota, Denver, and Qu I don't see how you can say it would be worse.  

And the UMN and QU games were earlier in the season when we weren't playing as well as we were in the 2nd half.
Hard to say we would have done worse when we beat both UMN (OT) and QU (SHOOTOUT // FIREWORKS!) this season already.

• Upvote 1

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/daily-skate-first-round-flops-line-ncaa-tournament

It's important to remember we're just one year removed from the tightest first round under the 16-team format, which was introduced 20 years ago.

In 2022, six of the eight first-round games were one-goal contests. Three went to overtime. The other two were two-goal games (excluding empty-netters).

Considering that, it seems far too premature to place any sweeping judgments about the Pairwise Rankings or the future of parity in the sport.

There also were other factors in play that perhaps contributed to a couple of the blowouts. Canisius was the lowest-ranked Pairwise team to make the NCAAs in nine years. Colgate was the lowest-ranked Pairwise team from the ECAC to make the tournament in the last 20 years.

Of course, there were far more blowouts than those two games, but that probably did factor in.

It will be worth tracking the first-round scores into the future to see if this becomes a pattern, but at this point, it's possible it's just an anomaly.

Portal Moves:

There were a few notable transfer portal moves the last two days.

Minnesota Duluth forward Isaac Howard, a first-round draft pick of the Tampa Bay Lightning, committed to Michigan State, where he'll reunite with his old U.S. National Team Development Program coach, Adam Nightingale.

Niagara grabbed American International starting goalie Jarrett Fiske (.923 save percentage) out of the portal. Fiske was one of seven primary starting goaltenders in the portal.

Those still in: UMass's Luke Pavicich, Miami's Ludvig Persson, Clarkson's Ethan Haider, Wisconsin's Jared Moe, Niagara's Chad Veltri and Sacred Heart's Luke Lush.

UND will be keeping close eye on portal goaltenders. It will recruit one of them to be the team's starter next season.

Former UND forward Ashton Calder scored a goal for Penn State in its rout of Michigan Tech on Friday. Calder is playing in the NCAA tournament for the third-straight year — all for different teams. He also scored a goal in the NCAA tournament in 2021 for Lake Superior State.