SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

15 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Mal wants NDSU to score 100???

15 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Answer is yes

Headline about the women's game in the Fargo Forum...

"UND gives up 101 points at home"

Sometimes coaching decisions just write themselves

Mal needs to get control of this team and play ladies where they should be, not where they want to be 

why is hurst playing point so much, should be down low, her lack of defense is stunning 

On 2/3/2024 at 1:35 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

unds womens team fro 30 years ago would beat unds current womens team by 40

Fully agree.   Thought the same thing several times as I’ve watched  the team play this season. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Wonder what Mal on driving back out west shed on radio telling they they have improved defense and have been in prettt much every game and a few seconds away from having a winning rec CD ord

That's easy for you to say.

• Upvote 2

At the end of SU womens game on Saturday NDSU called a timeout with 5 seconds left. Some people said UND did the same last year when we beat them. Is that right. Last year when we UND did it,was it to get new players into game? I know NDSU wasn’t putting players into game when they called a timeout? Were the situations the same?

I was getting to think I was to hard on Hurst but I see other are observing some of things she needs to improve upon. I watched her interview on Midco at half time . I can see how she is difficult to coach she has enormous confidence and if she has any offensive success this what basketball is about to her. I can see why we recruited her she has tremendous athletic ability but question comes can she be convinced playing complete game that is learning how to play defense. This is will be on coach Bernhard to get done or to move on to another player but I.think Bernhard sees some of herself in Hurst. 
i don’t think it matters one bit where players come from and this having players coming from Michigan is just fine if they are committed and fit into the program. I think players on this team are fine individuals and I believe they have been working at getting better. I have no idea how they mesh but that is for coaching staff to work out the differences.

There is a lot of talent on this team and overall it still is young talent and for the most part this talent hasn’t learned to play discipline basketball for forty minutes. This has been difference between us SDSU players they recruited ,they have learned to play much more disciplined game and it seems to happen earlier in there late freshman year and definitely in their sophomore year.  If you go back 25 to 30 years ago you would see our teams had very young teams that played very disciplined basketball we’re very successful and coach Bernhard played back in that era latter years so I know she knows what it takes be successful. I have been waiting for her to coach her team and make this jump in her coaching to achieve that with the program.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I was getting to think I was to hard on Hurst but I see other are observing some of things she needs to improve upon. I watched her interview on Midco at half time . I can see how she is difficult to coach she has enormous confidence and if she has any offensive success this what basketball is about to her. I can see why we recruited her she has tremendous athletic ability but question comes can she be convinced playing complete game that is learning how to play defense. This is will be on coach Bernhard to get done or to move on to another player but I.think Bernhard sees some of herself in Hurst. 
i don’t think it matters one bit where players come from and this having players coming from Michigan is just fine if they are committed and fit into the program. I think players on this team are fine individuals and I believe they have been working at getting better. I have no idea how they mesh but that is for coaching staff to work out the differences.

There is a lot of talent on this team and overall it still is young talent and for the most part this talent hasn’t learned to play discipline basketball for forty minutes. This has been difference between us SDSU players they recruited ,they have learned to play much more disciplined game and it seems to happen earlier in there late freshman year and definitely in their sophomore year.  If you go back 25 to 30 years ago you would see our teams had very young teams that played very disciplined basketball we’re very successful and coach Bernhard played back in that era latter years so I know she knows what it takes be successful. I have been waiting for her to coach her team and make this jump in her coaching to achieve that with the program.

I agree.  I hope Hurst is coachable.  If she is she can have very career here.  The woman need to observe how the Men have melted together.  Hurst needs to let Kacie move the ball as other get into position.  Hurst should watch Amar.  Hurst can control the boards and score under the bucket.  Team has potential.

I watched Izzo and Mcfeely today on end of women's game and men's game some of their remarks were full of conflicts about the rivalry between us and NDSU. NDSU coaches and Fargo's opinion is game between the universities are not that big of deal and Grand Forks and UND consider major victory. I think the difference is that Fargo after wanted to project that they are above UND, and they had all this success on division I and they want to become this national power in sports. The 10 championships in FCS football has played into that mind set but what is happening now NDSU success in football is not going to be that dominant as it has been because of new rules in college sports with transfer portal and NIL money coming to college sports it's become more like farm system for top schools that are semi-professional sports teams. The second half of Izzo and Mcfeely discussion about the games was in fact UND vs NDSU games and actions by coaches and even there reporting on getting more people to the game were examples they are important games for Fargo even though they hate to admit it publicly. I don't think Fargo realizes that UND is rival, but they are good for each other because it prepares us to be better in athletics and improves both of us by each of getting better and preparing us to beat other conference foes. This is what we had in back in 70's and 80's when we were both at top of NCC conference in major sports. Gene Roebuck has stated this number of times how NDSU and Amy Ruley made them better and prepared them to win national championships. We need to get to back to this and Izzo and Mcfeely should do a little history study themselves and see how students were involved in these games and how the state followed these schools plus all the fringe benefits of having packed games to use for recruiting and fund raising for athletic programs. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I watched Izzo and Mcfeely today on end of women's game and men's game some of their remarks were full of conflicts about the rivalry between us and NDSU. NDSU coaches and Fargo's opinion is game between the universities are not that big of deal and Grand Forks and UND consider major victory. I think the difference is that Fargo after wanted to project that they are above UND, and they had all this success on division I and they want to become this national power in sports. The 10 championships in FCS football has played into that mind set but what is happening now NDSU success in football is not going to be that dominant as it has been because of new rules in college sports with transfer portal and NIL money coming to college sports it's become more like farm system for top schools that are semi-professional sports teams. The second half of Izzo and Mcfeely discussion about the games was in fact UND vs NDSU games and actions by coaches and even there reporting on getting more people to the game were examples they are important games for Fargo even though they hate to admit it publicly. I don't think Fargo realizes that UND is rival, but they are good for each other because it prepares us to be better in athletics and improves both of us by each of getting better and preparing us to beat other conference foes. This is what we had in back in 70's and 80's when we were both at top of NCC conference in major sports. Gene Roebuck has stated this number of times how NDSU and Amy Ruley made them better and prepared them to win national championships. We need to get to back to this and Izzo and Mcfeely should do a little history study themselves and see how students were involved in these games and how the state followed these schools plus all the fringe benefits of having packed games to use for recruiting and fund raising for athletic programs. 

Those 2 idiots don’t want to admit there is a rivalry

just keep beating their ass and see how their players and students change their thinking

i read a bison fan said he wished their students and football team would support this game in Fargo like UND does in GF

I've said before and will repeat again that the 3 fools at the forum think they should be traveling to g5 and p5 schools to report on games, even kolpack said this when they played Murray state in football

Jack Michael’s said last year in UND/ndsu womens game Mallory called a timeout with a minute left in UND victory to substitute players so the seniors could be acknowledged by the crowd. Simple as that. Jack said NDSU coach called a timeout with 5 seconds left with a huge lead for no other reason than be a jerk. Wasn’t substituting. Jack said it was bush league by NDSU coach. Interesting 

• Upvote 1

Not much comment about last night game. I just had chance to watch the game it was another game where referees wore out there whistles between fouls called and travels the game just had no flow to it. We were in foul trouble most of second half. Neither team was playing much defense either afraid of fouling out or just slow moving to play defense. UND was lucky that Kacie didn’t foul out. The total fouls for the game were 48 and total turnovers were 37 meaning we had nearly two stoppages per minute of game. Pemberton , Kacie, Aumer  accounted for 51 points for the game. What was nice to see Beal have better game again I think she needs more playing time and it was good to see Aumer get a start. Pemberton and Kacie are getting better at playing together. They had Ibrahim play and I think if they can work with her this off season she could become quite player at 5 position. Hurst again got herself in foul trouble and when that happens she then plays very little defense. I don’ t see how they can continue to start her, but turn her into bench player that could provide offense punch coming off the bench

. The way it looks to me we’re going to end up 6th seed with us probably matching  up against either ORU or USD and it will take better game of basketball that we’re playing right now to beat them. it appears we have plateaued for the year if not regressed some and we have not gotten into any consistent rotation of players with exception of Kacie and Sammiyha and DJ.  We are need of true point guard to run the offense and can score from outside or make something happen driving.  Next year is going to be interesting on how  they will play and  who is going to step and lead this team.

6 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Oh boy listening on the radio Jack Daniels is saying the team is not listening to the coach and Mel is trying to make them do full-court press down 20 with three minutes to go

Pretty sure that's what pissed Collins off last Saturday too (according to some). UND couldn't guard anyone all game but let's press down 18 with 4 minutes to go. Everyone in the Betty just wanted that game over. NDSU was happy to hang 100 and then took a timeout to let Mal think about what transpired to end the game.

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Pretty sure that's what pissed Collins off last Saturday too (accordingto some). UND couldn't guard anyone all game but let's press down 18 with 4 minutes to go. Everyone in the Betty just wanted that game over. NDSU was happy to hang 100 and then took a timeout to let Mal think about what transpired to end the game?

Well, Kansas City didn’t get 100 but we still lost by 15+

Is Bernhard loosing the team and that would not be good for the future of this team. I have thought there has been signs where different players are not playing well together and I don’t think star player system works very well with young players not very well now with modern players even more so now. I have wondered this with Kacie when she has tried to do too much this year at times and has taken poor advice shots or trying to make pass that turns into turnover. Also her comments on who ever practices better gets playing time this is okay maybe for a short time at the beginning of the season but as season goes along you need to shorten the rotation to get to some coordination between the players on the floor. My thoughts on this season was this year she has played up to 10 to 11 players for the game and last year she only played seven to eight players a game where last year I thought she should played the sophomores a little more in first half of the season. We will find out in about month if we see movement in players. I hope not because I believe we have potential of fine team in the making Pemberton, Aumer, Beal, VanderWal, Ibrahim, Horne, Cottingham, and Ownen these players to me have tremendous upside. Hurst has great potential but she needs to work on her defense game and not worry what her stats are because if she fixes her defense and plays smart basketball her stats will be just fine and would be playing on winning team. I think what ever there goals were for this season are probably not going to be met because development of this has not happened like it should have and now they look like team that is tired and lost belief they can achieve their goals. The only thing that will correct this break and off season working on pla yer skills and getting on same page of playing smart basketball.