SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Off-season Recruiting

SD UND

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

If Nelson stays, is there enough PT at NDSU for him?

I don't think Nelson stays. He will enter the NBA draft and if he gets good reviews he'll stay in, if not he'll transfer to a bigger school to prove he can play at the top level competition in college. Same thing that Scheierman did last year. 

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-ndsus-grant-nelson-about-to-enter-new-world

Him staying at NDSU is still an option, but it wouldn't make much sense if his goal is to get drafted in the NBA draft either this year or next year. 

29 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I don't think Nelson stays. He will enter the NBA draft and if he gets good reviews he'll stay in, if not he'll transfer to a bigger school to prove he can play at the top level competition in college. Same thing that Scheierman did last year. 

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-ndsus-grant-nelson-about-to-enter-new-world

Him staying at NDSU is still an option, but it wouldn't make much sense if his goal is to get drafted in the NBA draft either this year or next year. 

I think it would be silly for him to stay too. Go get the bag. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Anyone know of Owen Leach of DGF was recruited by UND? Best talent in the FM/surrounding area. Going to UMD.

Watched him in the section championship and quarters last night and he is an absolute steal for Duluth. Summit teams should've been all over him.

2 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Watched him in the section championship and quarters last night and he is an absolute steal for Duluth. Summit teams should've been all over him.

He's head and shoulders better than Doppler

18 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

He's head and shoulders better than Doppler

Not sure what to think of Doppler, he seemed to have peaked last year.  He looked slow and unimpressive this year in the few games I saw.  Certainly didn’t perform well in the state tournament.  

16 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Not sure what to think of Doppler, he seemed to have peaked last year.  He looked slow and unimpressive this year in the few games I saw.  Certainly didn’t perform well in the state tournament.  

But I am sure he impressed on the "aau" circuit last summer

15 hours ago, Hambone said:

Eli King just hit the portal - PG from Caledonia MN who went to Iowa State.

Would definitely help our PG situation. Would love a drop down player from a P6 conference. Not sure if UND would have a legit shot at him or not. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Will Walters be willing to wait until mid May or June for Nelson to make a decision?  

6 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Walters says in a Forum article that he has heard from over 50 schools and has 10 offers already.  It says he has heard from Summit League schools of NDSU, SDSU and Omaha...   Can we have not been a school not calling him??   

Dom Izzo said in his article today that Mason has heard from "the Division 1 Dakota schools" not sure if that means all of them or just some of them. I saw a tweet that listed the schools he heard from so far up to this morning and NDSU, USD, SDSU, & Omaha were all listed. It would be a major shame if UND has not reached out to him yet. 

• Upvote 3

Well it did say he wanted to play for a winning team....   I would think Sather would have been his first call.  We wont win any recruiting battles if he doesnt.  He still needs to show me that he can win some of those battles to be a good coach.   We have had some freshman of the year because we got kids that didnt have any other offers and gave them a bunch of minutes.  I want to see wins with kids that have other options.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Well it did say he wanted to play for a winning team....   I would think Sather would have been his first call.  We wont win any recruiting battles if he doesnt.  He still needs to show me that he can win some of those battles to be a good coach.   We have had some freshman of the year because we got kids that didnt have any other offers and gave them a bunch of minutes.  I want to see wins with kids that have other options.  

100% correct! Well said!

25 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Obviously the kids were good enough to get offers after playing as true freshman, so they must have been alright or the coach managed to develop them pretty well in 9 months on campus.

Wasn't Omot was a pretty highly sought after recruit last year? More of that please.

We all want to see wins. Let's hope the talent that was brought in last year stays and we can add a few impact pieces that are out there. 

1 minute ago, GoodGood said:

Embarrassing if we’re not even reaching out to a kid 2 hours away

Who said we weren't? One article (from the Fargo media) said he'd heard from the D1 Dakota schools. Another (also from the Fargo media) only listed a handful of the 50 he's heard from and 10 he's gotten offers from.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Obviously the kids were good enough to get offers after playing as true freshman, so they must have been alright or the coach managed to develop them pretty well in 9 months on campus.

Wasn't Omot was a pretty highly sought after recruit last year? More of that please.

We all want to see wins. Let's hope the talent that was brought in last year stays and we can add a few impact pieces that are out there. 

Who said we weren't? One article said he'd heard from the D1 Dakota schools. Another only listed a handful of the 50 he's heard from and 10 he's gotten offers from.

More than one article. Multiple news articles listing other Summit teams but not UND. I have seen multiple tweets from recruiting/portal pages listing the teams he has heard from and I have not seen UND listed once. Either we haven't reached out to him or people don't even consider us a good enough team to be worthy of listing. Either way that is an absolute embarrassment!

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Ok. Now where are the other 30 that were in all the articles?

32 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

More than one article. Multiple news articles listing other Summit teams but not UND. I have seen multiple tweets from recruiting/portal pages listing the teams he has heard from and I have not seen UND listed once. Either we haven't reached out to him or people don't even consider us a good enough team to be worthy of listing. Either way that is an absolute embarrassment!

Need to keep what we currently have and change the narrative.
Should (is) UND be expressing interest with him? Yes.
Is it not going to matter and he's going to end up at a high mid-major/P6? Also yes. (Still absolutely agree that should be talking with him, which I believe they are).