SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

7 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Constantini got his chance to play.  He basically played about the same number of games that Collin Adams and Cole Smith, and guys like that, played during their first two seasons.  If he thinks his chances are better elsewhere, I wish him the best.

You have to dig deeper than just games played. Look at situations they were put in as well. Can you name any other player that had a successful Freshman year and then were completely out of the lineup as Sophomores by the end of the year? Outside of Johnson / Constantini? I don't want this to come off as this has been an ongoing issue with Berry, because I don't think it has. I can understand defending Berry and his Coaching overall. I think his Coaching last year, decision making overall was indefensible. As a college program, I might be putting too much stock in development. Look at the Sophomore class. Last year was a mess.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Huge loss for DU as Mazur went pro today. I’m sure the Pios will simply replace him with another stud player, though. 

This. DU (along with Minnesota / Michigan), I don't think it really matters who leaves and who stays. Top 10 team every year. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AJS said:

You have to dig deeper than just games played. Look at situations they were put in as well. Can you name any other player that had a successful Freshman year and then were completely out of the lineup as Sophomores by the end of the year? Outside of Johnson / Constantini? I don't want this to come off as this has been an ongoing issue with Berry, because I don't think it has. I can understand defending Berry and his Coaching overall. I think his Coaching last year, decision making overall was indefensible. As a college program, I might be putting too much stock in development. Look at the Sophomore class. Last year was a mess.

MC played every single weekend of the year, except the Minnesota series, until the final weekend against UNO.  Yeah, he sat the back half of some series, but he was in the lineup for pretty much all of the year until the last weekend and the playoffs.  It wasn't like he was producing and they were still sitting him.

3 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

What short memories people have. Just two years ago, Minnesota was the 5th best team in their State! 

Some people. Let's lay this out for everyone. Talking anything Pre-Motzko wouldn't make sense, agreed? How many years would you give someone that took over a program to turn it around? The last year I would say they struggled (16-14-7) was 2019-2020. Can we all make the assumption that the current more recent version of Minnesota is more likely to continue then the one the first two years he took over? What are we doing here?

12 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

MC played every single weekend of the year, except the Minnesota series, until the final weekend against UNO.  Yeah, he sat the back half of some series, but he was in the lineup for pretty much all of the year until the last weekend and the playoffs.  It wasn't like he was producing and they were still sitting him.

Thankfully 10, 19, 27 and 28 gobbled up his minutes and produced to justify him getting kicked to the curb this past season

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

And Denver was 10-13-1 in 2020-21 and was eliminated in the playoffs by UND. 

I concede. There's a chance Denver, Michigan, Minnesota aren't a Top 10 team next year. Probably will but could not. 

I get technicalities, so I'll have to speak more generally in certain situations. What I would say, is those three programs seem to be the exception to the rule lately. 

23 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Thankfully 10, 19, 27 and 28 gobbled up his minutes and produced to justify him getting kicked to the curb this past season

MC played 60 games his first two years.  JC played 55.  Their scoring was 10-14-24 and 8-15-23, respectively.

JC could have whined about playing time or entered the portal, or whatever.  But he paid his dues, got more playing time and special teams time.

That's what you do.  Unless you come in and put up Blake numbers, you pay your dues.

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

MC played 60 games his first two years.  JC played 55.  Their scoring was 10-14-24 and 8-15-23, respectively.

JC could have whined about playing time or entered the portal, or whatever.  But he paid his dues, got more playing time and special teams time.

That's what you do.  Unless you come in and put up Blake numbers, you pay your dues.

Don't cherry pick numbers.....18 had 21 points his Fr season.  More than in any season for 10 19 28. The fact he dropped to 3 is more on mismanagement of the coaches than him. 

10 came into the season with a season high of 11 points through 4 years. Guess he paid his dues.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, 90siouxfan said:

Lots of emphasis in this conversation refers to producing goals & assists.  I'm not so sure coach doesn't have a few additional criteria.

Expound?? You realize this team missed the tournament....correct? Last time I check goals and assists win games.

31 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Don't cherry pick numbers.....18 had 21 points his Fr season.  More than in any season for 10 19 28. The fact he dropped to 3 is more on mismanagement of the coaches than him.

How is it their fault over his? Matteo produced from a bottom 6 role in his first season. Why didn't he in the second? He started out on PP2, as well.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Expound?? You realize this team missed the tournament....correct? Last time I check goals and assists win games.

I speculate that coach sells recruits on  path to the NHL by improving thier defensive play.  Unfortunately without studs to pot goal it can make for crap seasons.   These players top goal is the NHL, they may say natty in front of a mike or in open conversation but when hey close thier eyes at night its all NHL. 

Cherry picking is choosing a smaller subset of data to make a point.  He actually chose the data in its entirety, which is the opposite of cherry picking.  Now, if he had chosen one year's data, for instance, while ignoring surrounding information, to make his point, that would be cherry picking.

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

See that some goalies have already gone on to new teams.  I don't see an east coast goalie coming this way for whatever reason.  

I'll beat the dead horse again.  Kraws played 27 games last season at ASU before getting usurped by the Northeastern transfer who got beat out by Levi.  I hope the coaches at least put out a flyer to this kid to gage some interest.  Drawback is that he's only got one year available, but would be an abled bodied goalie to hold the fort before we got Hedquist ready to take on the load. 

Kraws to SLU.

17 minutes ago, jk said:

Cherry picking is choosing a smaller subset of data to make a point.  He actually chose the data in its entirety, which is the opposite of cherry picking.  Now, if he had chosen one year's data, for instance, while ignoring surrounding information, to make his point, that would be cherry picking.

"Data in its entirety"......look no further than that career season stats of some that got major minutes this season at the expense of others and you'll glean into why this team didn't host a NCHC quarterfinal series and missed the NCAAs. 6 or 18 were not going to be the next Sanderson or Boeser but anyone who has followed this team for 4 years knew what 10 19 27 and 28 were going to give you. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Slowly running out of quality goalies in the portal.....:huh:

For sure.  And there's only four teams left playing, so you're not going to get a ton more players added to the portal with them...what you see now is pretty close to what you're gonna have available for options.

I'm hoping that the coaches are in talks with Haider, Persson, and Pavicich for goalie.
And Warren, Koch, Pyke, and Palocsik for dmen.
And of course Berg for another forward/center option.

32 minutes ago, brianvf said:

For sure.  And there's only four teams left playing, so you're not going to get a ton more players added to the portal with them...what you see now is pretty close to what you're gonna have available for options.

I'm hoping that the coaches are in talks with Haider, Persson, and Pavicich for goalie.
And Warren, Koch, Pyke, and Palocsik for dmen.
And of course Berg for another forward/center option.

The ones we are after are still in the portal no?

• Upvote 2

I'm sure it affects uncommitted recruits, especially the younger ones, to see some programs getting top commits and transfers.   A little of the Ivy League effect.   Which programs are perceived to be at the top of that heap in any given year or years is a little cyclical, I suppose.   UMn is bound to be pretty consistently up there, given the number of elite players growing up there.