SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

3 minutes ago, bale31 said:

You can blame me when he underperforms. I can take it.

Ha! That's exactly what I was going to say, then remembered that humor/sarcasm often doesn't come across on an internet forum (or email, or text...). (My wife would say, "Well, if you want your humor to come across, first you've got to be funny.")

But yes, I will blame you if he falls short of my irrational and unrealistic expectations!

In all seriousness, I'm pumped Zmolek is joining UND and saddened by what's transpiring in Mankato. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Ha! That's exactly what I was going to say, then remembered that humor/sarcasm often doesn't come across on an internet forum (or email, or text...). (My wife would say, "Well, if you want your humor to come across, first you've got to be funny.")

But yes, I will blame you if he falls short of my irrational and unrealistic expectations!

In all seriousness, I'm pumped Zmolek is joining UND and saddened by what's transpiring in Mankato. 

He will also be a team leader at some point if his brothers are any indication 

Another MSUM portal transfer to UW, Simon Tassy, a freshman.
Seems weird to bring over so many players and leave MSUM so depleted.  And what about the existing UW players and incoming recruits?  Are we going to see a massive influx of UW players leave now too?

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

Another MSUM portal transfer to UW, Simon Tassy, a freshman.
Seems weird to bring over so many players and leave MSUM so depleted.  And what about the existing UW players and incoming recruits?  Are we going to see a massive influx of UW players leave now too?

Probably.  Circle of Life, baby.

29 minutes ago, burd said:

I think we need more irony/humor/sarcasm on the net.   It's embarrassingly literal and encourages people to take themselves far too seriously.   

That NEVER happens on SiouxSports...:wink:

Anybody else not like this non loyalty and transferring so easily? I know you need to play the game to keep up, but I feel like there isn’t as much heart in coming to the place you first wanted and they wanted you playing with that purpose. When I was a student getting to know the players for the 4 years they were there made you want it so much more for them. Gone are those days I guess and maybe because I am getting older and further away from the game but it is just very different now when I took my 4 yr old to that St Cloud game at the X. Haven’t been to GF for about 15 yrs so maybe that might bring back more passion but I just don’t connect with the stories of these players anymore though Schloss does a great job trying to get us all to connect somehow. I know people say the name change and logos have nothing to do with lack of success lately but I beg to differ because we aren’t as intimating with that image and history on our side because we don’t know who we are and are reaching for pieces just like others.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 01grad said:

Anybody else not like this non loyalty and transferring so easily? I know you need to play the game to keep up, but I feel like there isn’t as much heart in coming to the place you first wanted and they wanted you playing with that purpose. When I was a student getting to know the players for the 4 years they were there made you want it so much more for them. Gone are those days I guess and maybe because I am getting older and further away from the game but it is just very different now when I took my 4 yr old to that St Cloud game at the X.

Agreed completely.  This portal certainly changed that dynamic.  It's part of the game now I guess, so we have to get used to it. 
But I agree...it's harder to get really "connected" to the players when they might only be around for a year or two and then transfer out.
You have to respect the players that stick with the program for their entire collegiate careers...it seems in this new landscape, those players will definitely be far fewer than before.

10 hours ago, 01grad said:

Anybody else not like this non loyalty and transferring so easily? I know you need to play the game to keep up, but I feel like there isn’t as much heart in coming to the place you first wanted and they wanted you playing with that purpose. When I was a student getting to know the players for the 4 years they were there made you want it so much more for them. Gone are those days I guess and maybe because I am getting older and further away from the game but it is just very different now when I took my 4 yr old to that St Cloud game at the X. Haven’t been to GF for about 15 yrs so maybe that might bring back more passion but I just don’t connect with the stories of these players anymore though Schloss does a great job trying to get us all to connect somehow. I know people say the name change and logos have nothing to do with lack of success lately but I beg to differ because we aren’t as intimating with that image and history on our side because we don’t know who we are and are reaching for pieces just like others.

I am an older fan also (have been to games in all 3 arenas at UND). And I totally agree with your statement.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

I am an older fan also (have been to games in all 3 arenas at UND). And I totally agree with your statement.

I believe that a player should get 1 move, completely unencumbered, to any school - as long as it takes place prior to the junior year. The ONLY exceptions to this would be a change of coaching or a personal matter that can not be resolved any other way.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 01grad said:

I completely agree, and it's much worse for lesser programs.  I suspect the number of 4 year players at programs will significantly decrease.  The guys that aren't getting the playing time at top schools, or didn't pan out like anticipated, will portal out to lesser schools.  The guys that exceed expectations at lesser schools will portal out to the better programs.

At least UND is a net winner in the shuffle, but I still hate it.  I liked the old days when you had to sit a year.  I remember the buzz of anticipation hearing that Jason Blake or Lee Goren (different sit out situation...) were dominate in practice and waiting for them to suit up...  The players had to be committed to transfer.  Now it's generally the opposite.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

But we live in an "immediate gratification takes too long" world. 

Back in our day, if you weren't getting enough playing time, you may have a conversation with the coach. The conversation would go something like this: coach, "I'd like more playing time." Coach: "okay, practice better and work harder in the weight room and on the ice." You didn't transfer. 

• Upvote 1