SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

6 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Agreed completely.  He would be a very good get.  From Fargo, so maybe he wants to move closer to home.
Good numbers, and was only a soph this year, so would still have a couple years of eligibility remaining.

Depending on what plans Berry has for Albrecht/Montgomery, Berg would be able to be plugged right into the lineup IMO.

Can someone explain if he is really from Fargo? Because his bio on the UNO website lists his hometown as White Bear Lake, MN. 

6 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Quote from the article:

Cameron was born into a family of “huge” University of North Dakota fans. The family has the team's logo all over, Dawn said.

“It will be tough going to the UND game,” Dawn said. “It’ll be the first time we have to cheer against UND, but our kid takes the loyalty.”

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Agreed completely.  He would be a very good get.  From Fargo, so maybe he wants to move closer to home.
Good numbers, and was only a soph this year, so would still have a couple years of eligibility remaining.

Depending on what plans Berry has for Albrecht/Montgomery, Berg would be able to be plugged right into the lineup IMO.

Worth a strong look to come to UND.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SJHovey said:

I thought there was another D-man in that same class, but his name escapes me.  Big, tall, rangy kid.

Sinni…Sammi…Swammi…Samsonite!

Yes Sandy was in that class too. My point still stands, but good catch. 

14 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Sinni…Sammi…Swammi…Samsonite!

Yes Sandy was in that class too. My point still stands, but good catch. 

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

You were way off!

Should have just looked on the briefcase, I think it's written on there.

• Upvote 1

My hope is no portal forwards unless someone else leaves. Keep it at 15F. Now, if Albrecht graduates and moves on and they pick up a Top 6 Forward. That looks like a fairly easy way to improve the talent in the Forward group. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SpudsSioux said:

Miller getting sent packing at the 11th hour also skewed this. That class was actually loaded with D.

Yeah, the situation with the D for this coming year sucks, but I'm not ready to throw the coaching staff under the bus for it yet.

Bast and Johnson leaving puzzles me.  If you are a junior and you are looking around and there are only three of you with any returning experience, and the other two really don't have a ton more than you, especially on the special teams units, and you are at a premier program, this is as good an opportunity as you will ever have presented to you in your college career.  If you can't make this go, then you better be working on that degree.

And with that, you enter the portal?

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, AJS said:

My hope is no portal forwards unless someone else leaves. Keep it at 15F. Now, if Albrecht graduates and moves on and they pick up a Top 6 Forward. That looks like a fairly easy way to improve the talent in the Forward group. 

I think our forward group has to be at 16 if Montgomery is part of it. He's a depth forward as it is and based on his health we have to stay at 16. 

See that some goalies have already gone on to new teams.  I don't see an east coast goalie coming this way for whatever reason.  

I'll beat the dead horse again.  Kraws played 27 games last season at ASU before getting usurped by the Northeastern transfer who got beat out by Levi.  I hope the coaches at least put out a flyer to this kid to gage some interest.  Drawback is that he's only got one year available, but would be an abled bodied goalie to hold the fort before we got Hedquist ready to take on the load. 

49 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Yeah, the situation with the D for this coming year sucks, but I'm not ready to throw the coaching staff under the bus for it yet.

Bast and Johnson leaving puzzles me.  If you are a junior and you are looking around and there are only three of you with any returning experience, and the other two really don't have a ton more than you, especially on the special teams units, and you are at a premier program, this is as good an opportunity as you will ever have presented to you in your college career.  If you can't make this go, then you better be working on that degree.

Maybe the coaching staff suggested they enter the portal?

7 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Maybe the coaching staff suggested they enter the portal?

I'm not in the meetings, so I don't know.  It seems like an odd move, if they did, so therefore I'll assume they didn't until I hear otherwise from either the players or the coaches. 

38 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I think our forward group has to be at 16 if Montgomery is part of it. He's a depth forward as it is and based on his health we have to stay at 16. 

I am very interested to see where this goes. I might be putting too much stock in last year as well. I've been really hitting this hard, but I hope UND is a program that recruits and develops. 15F 8D 3G. To develop you need to play. I see no positive at all having talented players watch from the stands. I totally realize some guys don't work out, but never before have I felt like I did about Johnson / Constantini hitting the portal. I highlighted depth forward, because that's perfect. Ideally, you would have 14F 7D 2G in the mix for spots. 1F 1D 1G that are true "depth" or "emergency" type of guys. I don't want to see another situation where truly talented guys (that proved it FR year) end up leaving. I don't want to see a guy like Emerson be in and out of the lineup next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SJHovey said:

For me the biggest puzzle is Bast.  He was injured almost until Thanksgiving, and still saw a bunch of games after that despite being behind on conditioning and game speed.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AJS said:

I am very interested to see where this goes. I might be putting too much stock in last year as well. I've been really hitting this hard, but I hope UND is a program that recruits and develops. 15F 8D 3G. To develop you need to play. I see no positive at all having talented players watch from the stands. I totally realize some guys don't work out, but never before have I felt like I did about Johnson / Constantini hitting the portal. I highlighted depth forward, because that's perfect. Ideally, you would have 14F 7D 2G in the mix for spots. 1F 1D 1G that are true "depth" or "emergency" type of guys. I don't want to see another situation where truly talented guys (that proved it FR year) end up leaving. I don't want to see a guy like Emerson be in and out of the lineup next year. 

Constantini got his chance to play.  He basically played about the same number of games that Collin Adams and Cole Smith, and guys like that, played during their first two seasons.  If he thinks his chances are better elsewhere, I wish him the best.