SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ CC....the battle for 6th place.

Wilbur

Hawks....Tigers....let's get it on.  They....checking here....played Western and were swept out of Lawson, however they were in both games.  We split with SCSU with a skills competition loss and a 3x3 win, celebrated largely by the #MGFC who has an open petition now to get #17 to stay in the forks for ten years @MafiaMan tells me. 

Alright @Godsmack enlighten us on the Springs City Kitties.  

The only observation I have is that we need to stick with DeRidder from here on out.  Season winding down, he's gotta be the guy.  

• Upvote 1

Well, after finishing the first half of the season in third place in the standings, CC has really struggled in the second half, going 1-8-1 in their ten games since the start of the new year.
In those ten games, scoring goals has become a real challenge. They’ve scored 11 goals during that stretch, largely relying on guys like Hunter McKown, Noah Laba, and Stanley Cooley. Besides those three, the production really drops off.

What has kept some of the games within reach has been the outstanding goaltending of freshman goaltender, Kaidan Mbereko (could we see Matt Vernon enter the transfer portal at season’s end?).

The Tigers are playing .500 hockey at Robson Arena, going 7-7-0.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Well, after finishing the first half of the season in third place in the standings, CC has really struggled in the second half, going 1-8-1 in their ten games since the start of the new year.
In those ten games, scoring goals has become a real challenge. They’ve scored 11 goals during that stretch, largely relying on guys like Hunter McKown, Noah Laba, and Stanley Cooley. Besides those three, the production really drops off.

What has kept some of the games within reach has been the outstanding goaltending of freshman goaltender, Kaidan Mbereko (could we see Matt Vernon enter the transfer portal at season’s end?).

You should be CC's Schlossman.  God what a good summary of the Tigers.  

• Upvote 4

So typically UND leaves a day earlier than normal for the Colorado road trips. That said, I’d be curious to know whether or not they’ll be able to fly out today given the bad weather and numerous flight cancellations already this morning. 

Edit: Just read that there’ve been over a 1,000 flight cancelations this morning, with most of those being flights into or out of Denver and Minneapolis. 

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

So typically UND leaves a day earlier than normal for the Colorado road trips. That said, I’d be curious to know whether or not they’ll be able to fly out today given the bad weather and numerous flight cancellations already this morning. 

Edit: Just read that there’ve been over a 1,000 flight cancelations this morning, with most of those being flights into or out of Denver and Minneapolis. 

I don't know if that matters for a charter flight or not. They will fly out tomorrow. 

On 2/19/2023 at 2:42 PM, Godsmack said:

Do those guys that score play together?  If so, I would imagine UND would try to match lines the best they can to try shut them down. 

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Do those guys that score play together?  If so, I would imagine UND would try to match lines the best they can to try shut them down. 

Based on their most recent game lineup, McKown and Cooley are paired up together on the top line and Laba’s centering the second line. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mayotte sometimes puts all three together in later stages of a game, particularly if they are down a goal. 

23B63A8E-844C-4220-9C51-C0B0C46CEC67.png

9 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

There is no break in the Tigers’ meatgrinder of a hockey schedule when they host a loaded North Dakota squad uncharacteristically hovering around .500 (13-13-5) and scrambling for playoff positioning, not vying for the Penrose Cup.

Loaded with grinders?  ;)  :D

“They just haven’t had good goaltending all year,” he added. ”But, (Michigan State transfer) Drew DeRidder has a history of being a good goalie so you know it is there. They smothered St. Cloud (last weekend) for the most part.”

That sums up a lot of the season, for sure.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

Ah, the 58 minute game. I think I've heard that before.