SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

8 minutes ago, SuhakiYeahYeah said:

Confirmation that everyone is on the same page about staying another year, and he's even happy about it.

:)

Hopefully this puts away any kind of doubt around this kid.... maybe also reflects a bit on our consternation around "culture" here recently, too.

"I'm super excited," Strathmann said. "I was just talking to the (UND) coaches. They thought it was best for me to come back, develop another year, mature another year, and I love it. To be here with my buddies again, to have another year of developing, would be great."

Strathmann said he talked through the development path with UND and his family advisor.

"We're all on the same page," Strathmann said. "I'm just so excited about North Dakota. How could you not be?

"Those guys are a really tight group every single year. The culture is unbelievable. Every time I've visited, they're very warm and welcoming and super good dudes. I'm super excited just to be a part of that."

What they bring in as 8D will tell us what they think now of McInnis and Ausmus in a year. 

Pehrson and Pyke --> Strathmann and Jubenvill (fall '24). 

Bring in 8D as one year rental and it shows they're thinking Ausmus or McInnis will be ready.
Bring in a guy with more than a year left and it's a different story (and Ausmus and McInnis come fall '25). 

An 8D with two years left would not surprise me. 

20 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If running 16F is still in the thoughts, is that a signal that Montgomery still might not be 100% reliable (health-wise). 

Not what I've heard, I guess. Sounds like he's ready to go, so if UND adds a 16th, it doesn't mean he's going anywhere. Just would be an additional depth piece is how I took it.

49 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Hopefully this puts away any kind of doubt around this kid.... maybe also reflects a bit on our consternation around "culture" here recently, too.

"I'm super excited," Strathmann said. "I was just talking to the (UND) coaches. They thought it was best for me to come back, develop another year, mature another year, and I love it. To be here with my buddies again, to have another year of developing, would be great."

Strathmann said he talked through the development path with UND and his family advisor.

"We're all on the same page," Strathmann said. "I'm just so excited about North Dakota. How could you not be?

"Those guys are a really tight group every single year. The culture is unbelievable. Every time I've visited, they're very warm and welcoming and super good dudes. I'm super excited just to be a part of that."

I was waiting for you to post this :) 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I was waiting for you to post this :)

It really is nice to have a kid come out and reinforce things, however. He trusts UND with his development, he loves what we have going on culture-wise, and he's a kid who's thought very highly of in the hockey world. I loved reading what he had to say.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If running 16F is still in the thoughts, is that a signal that Montgomery still might not be 100% reliable (health-wise). 

This is not a trick question as I know so little about Montgomery but is anything more than a 4th liner ?? 

32 minutes ago, MGsioux said:

This is not a trick question as I know so little about Montgomery but is anything more than a 4th liner ?? 

Kind of hard to know how he could develop since he has been injured so much in juniors and college, but given who we have as options on the first three lines, I would think a fourth line role would probably be the best scenario for him this year.

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2023 at 1:01 PM, The Sicatoka said:

What they bring in as 8D will tell us what they think now of McInnis and Ausmus in a year. 

Pehrson and Pyke --> Strathmann and Jubenvill (fall '24). 

Bring in 8D as one year rental and it shows they're thinking Ausmus or McInnis will be ready.
Bring in a guy with more than a year left and it's a different story (and Ausmus and McInnis come fall '25). 

An 8D with two years left would not surprise me. 

Not necessarily. Remember Hensler is accelerating, hasn't made a decision, and by all accounts appears we are very much in the mix. a one-year rental signals to me either they project Mcinnis or Ausmus to be ready OR they are feeling optimistic about Hensler. 

15 hours ago, SpudsSioux said:

Not necessarily. Remember Hensler is accelerating, hasn't made a decision, and by all accounts appears we are very much in the mix. a one-year rental signals to me either they project Mcinnis or Ausmus to be ready OR they are feeling optimistic about Hensler

The name Schlossman floated yesterday (a one year rental) signals they think someone besides Strathmann and Jubenvill will be ready in a year. 

And it seems we have a list. 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-rounds-out-new-look-defensive-core-with-transfer-logan-britt

"Logan has a long history of experience playing at the collegiate level," UND coach Brad Berry said. "We are excited to bring him into our group to finalize our defensive core."

UND’s new-look defense will include four transfers and four freshmen.

The transfers are Britt, Alaska captain Garrett Pyke, Michigan alternate captain Keaton Pehrson and Minnesota State-Mankato’s Bennett Zmolek.

The freshmen will be Vegas Golden Knights draft pick Abram Wiebe, Minnesota Wild pick Nate Benoit, draft-eligible Jake Livanavage and Tanner Komzak.

The Fighting Hawks now have 15 forwards, eight defensemen and three goalies set for next season. That’s the usual number of players UND carries at each position in an average season.

That signing could be the final piece for next year's roster.  I don't see them adding a 16th forward again unless Montgomery's status is still a question mark.

" ... defensive core" ... or defensive corps.

Is he saying he's key (in the middle, the core, of the defense) or another member of the group? 
It's summer. Words mean things. I'm allowed to niggle on verbiage. :D 

corps: a body of people engaged in a particular activity.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, brianvf said:

That signing could be the final piece for next year's roster.  I don't see them adding a 16th forward again unless Montgomery's status is still a question mark.

Yeah, the way Schloss wrote about 15F/8D/3G being usual has me thinking they'll stay unless a too good to be true 16F comes available (or an injury happens). 

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

For literally having 0, none, nada, defensemen on the roster for a few days, credit where credit is due:

The group looks good on paper. Bubs et al did some good work so far.

I won't get too high until it performs.

And with Strathmann and Jubenvill lined up it looks like things should stabilize going forward. 

I definitely feel 100% better about this team than I did a couple of months ago. Looking forward to seeing this group grow and learn together.

So, with the experience coming in, we would all have to assume that the d zone play would have to be better next season correct?  Bringing in older and experienced guys, and a goalie that has been hung out to dry for three years in Miami.....has to be better right? 

Ludvig....82 Games

Britt....131 Games

Pyke....83 Games

Pehrson....127 Games

Zmolek....28 Games....

My Minot High School math tells me that is 451 games of experience coming on to the goal prevention side of things next season.  We give up 2-3 a game we should be fine, with the guys we have that should be putting the puck in the other net.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

So, with the experience coming in, we would all have to assume that the d zone play would have to be better next season correct?  Bringing in older and experienced guys, and a goalie that has been hung out to dry for three years in Miami.....has to be better right? 

Ludvig....82 Games

Britt....131 Games

Pyke....83 Games

Pehrson....127 Games

Zmolek....28 Games....

My Minot High School math tells me that is 451 games of experience coming on to the goal prevention side of things next season.  We give up 2-3 a game we should be fine, with the guys we have that should be putting the puck in the other net.  

I like that they have some shot blockers in the group as well.  Need those guys that will sell out and sacrifice their bodies, especially when the game is on the line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1