SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

18 hours ago, brianvf said:

Latest bracketology from USCHO:

https://www.uscho.com/2024/02/28/bracketology-some-movement-in-the-pairwise-makes-this-weeks-bracektology-that-much-more-difficult-to-handle/

Holy region of death in South Dakota.  Any of those four teams could advance.
Hoping that the final brackets don't look like this for UND.

Providence, R.I.
1. Boston College
8. Minnesota
9. Maine
16. Bemidji State

Maryland Heights, Mo.
2. Boston University
6. Denver
10. Providence
15. RIT

Sioux Falls, S.D.
3. North Dakota
7. Quinnipiac
11. St. Cloud State
14. Michigan

Springfield, Mass.
4. Wisconsin
5. Michigan State
12. Western Michigan
13. Massachusetts

I'd be pissed if I were BU in this situation.  Get sent out west because you can't play UMass in the first round.  I'd be a little perturbed to be Wisco when you've got two Midwestern based regions and you don't get either of them.  Hosts and venues can't be too happy about those far flung travels, either.  I hope the pairwise sorts itself out before selection Sunday.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I'd be pissed if I were BU in this situation.  Get sent out west because you can't play UMass in the first round.  I'd be a little perturbed to be Wisco when you've got two Midwestern based regions and you don't get either of them.  Hosts and venues can't be too happy about those far flung travels, either.  I hope the pairwise sorts itself out before selection Sunday.

Remember Maine was a top 4 seed not too long ago. If UND drops, Wisconsin could very well be the top seed in Sioux Falls.

7 hours ago, krustyklown said:

Fixed your post.

+

That likely will never happen - at least one regional tournament will likely NOT have a NCHC rep, so as to prevent what happened in 2005 (all WCHA teams in Frozen Four)

Although, at some point IF the NCHC has a down year, only two teams qualify

Yeah, the NCAA will never allow that to happen again after what happened in 2005.

Except when it happened in 2008 and 2009 and 2015 and 2016 and 2021 and 2022.....other than those though, it will never happen again.:whistling::D

• Upvote 4

If either or both Omaha and UMass make the tournament as host #4 seeds, will the committee set aside the intra-conference matchup prohibition to help boost attendance in an effort to fend off the supporters of on-campus regionals? 

5 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

If either or both Omaha and UMass make the tournament as host #4 seeds, will the committee set aside the intra-conference matchup prohibition to help boost attendance in an effort to fend off the supporters of on-campus regionals? 

That logic is using an assumption the NCAA actually cares in any way.

Nice article on Gaber:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/from-a-gilbert-plains-farm-riese-gaber-has-become-one-of-college-hockeys-elite

He could pass Guch and Cags this weekend in career points if he gets 3 pts:

No active player in the country has scored as many college hockey goals as Gaber's 62.

He's climbing UND's career point chart, too.

Gaber has 125. With his next point, he'll match Jordan Kawaguchi's career total. With two points, he'll match Drake Caggiula. With three points, he'll be the highest-scoring UND player in the last decade.

Although Gaber could use his free COVID-impacted season to come back, he will likely turn pro at the end of this season.

"Anything can happen, but I've been saying this is my last year," Gaber said. "It's something I've been set on now. It's time for me to move on and I'm ready for the next level. I think I'm at peace with that decision now."

So, if we get 1 or 2 points tonight will they let fans stay until the SCSU v DU game is over, or maybe play it on the big screen?

How about score updates from Mr. Looker over the PA tonight?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RedFrog said:

So, if we get 1 or 2 points tonight will they let fans stay until the SCSU v DU game is over, or maybe play it on the big screen?

How about score updates from Mr. Looker over the PA tonight?

I’m guessing since the SCSU/DU game is in St Cloud and starts at the same time as ours it will probably end around the same time. Last time in 2022 they did put the DU/Omaha game on the screen after our game ended in case the result ended in our favor though. 

6 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’m guessing since the SCSU/DU game is in St Cloud and starts at the same time as ours it will probably end around the same time. Last time in 2022 they did put the DU/Omaha game on the screen after our game ended in case the result ended in our favor though. 

Yeah, that was a total buzzkill, along with Denver getting a part of the NCHC title the following week, along with the top seed in the NCHC playoffs.

41 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, that was a total buzzkill, along with Denver getting a part of the NCHC title the following week, along with the top seed in the NCHC playoffs.

Yeah, didn't we celebrate after beating Omaha? on the Friday, then lost the next night and found out we were sharing with DU?

Hopefully the team stays motivated next weekend against UNO…still tourney seeding to think about. 
Great year to finish first though, playing Miami in the first round is far preferred. 

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Ludvig Persson has now won more games than he did 3 years at Miami. 

Now he dilemma is do you give him one game off next week, and get Hedquist some more game experience, or try keep the roll going.  Would guess Zmolek will get some extra rest now.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Now he dilemma is do you give him one game off next week, and get Hedquist some more game experience, or try keep the roll going.  Would guess Zmolek will get some extra rest now.

Hedquist has to get one game.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Another nice advantage of 1st is that UND will have last line change throughout the NCHC playoffs.  That'll be big if we have to play DU again with their tough top line.

Natty>last line change

On 3/1/2024 at 12:53 PM, Kevin G said:

No