SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

15 hours ago, krustyklown said:

First; no more ‘checkbox’ marking, natty babble or other fan/critic b.s.

Second; funnel your fan ‘karma energy’ to the TEAM so they win the first shift tomorrow night.

Third; rinse and repeat step 2

P.S.  Cease demanding line personnel change(s), ad infinitum.  Coaches coach, players play, fans are happy or sad - these are the finite roles in this drama.

Hmmmm, common sense & reasoning over negativity is a refreshing take. I’m in the camp of always having fun watching my Alma mater play & as much college hockey as possible from October into April. Losing games really sucks but doesn’t affect my passion in support of the entire program 

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, burd said:

But that’s not the point you continually make.   Throughout his time as head coach, you could be counted on to continually diss Hal because he did not win a banner, despite winning many tourney games.   I’m sure you’re a loyal, long-time Sioux fan, gf, and probably knowledgeable, but you rarely, if ever, even talk about the game itself—only the failure to win banners.   One would think you get more out of the program’s failures than its successes.   

Well, that's his schtick, isn't it?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, burd said:

But that’s not the point you continually make.   Throughout his time as head coach, you could be counted on to continually diss Hal because he did not win a banner, despite winning many tourney games.   I’m sure you’re a loyal, long-time Sioux fan, gf, and probably knowledgeable, but you rarely, if ever, even talk about the game itself—only the failure to win banners.   One would think you get more out of the program’s failures than its successes.   

Some people relish the opportunity to get up on the soap box and shout thier opinion,  being negatively slant is the easier route...   calling out perceived problems is an lame grab to make yourself relevant. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If 2016 and prior are long forgotten programs, I guess college hockey is just DU, UMD, Q, and ... UMass ... 

Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State University have been irrelevant for three decades. They used to be national powers. It can happen to anyone. Even UND.

20 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

Idk what you mean by we’d breeze through rounds one and two. Maybe round one but the NCAAs is no easy tourney

Maybe I’m being overly optimistic to counteract all the bed wetters on this board. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/21/2024 at 3:52 PM, gfhockey said:

Listen we can agree to disagree

I want nattys

you guys want just wins in regular season

nsttys are remmebered

banners

reunion trams

no one gunna remember us sweeping Denver but schlossman next year in the gamer 

Meh titles are overrated, remember all those winning seasons? Way over shadow the couple titles. Good>Best

20 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I don't bring it up because I believe it. I think it's hogwash. I bring it up ALL THE TIME because @scpa0305 keeps insisting that the B1G and the big media market schools out east are going to rule the College Hockey world and that UND and other similar programs will have to settle for "backfilling with over-agers" (that's a direct quote from sometime last season, I am not making it up). Go tell @scpa0305 that he is wrong, because I think he is too. I keep bringing it up because that erroneous notion needs to be challenged whenever and wherever it is propagated.

Anyway, you make good points. I am enjoying this season, especially after the past few seasons, which were not as much fun to watch. @krustyklown is right, I will not bring up the topic of championships as long as UND is alive in the postseason.

Haha you’ve lumped me in the wrong crowd my friend. Do guys do this? Did you go through middle school?

Anyways, I never said the big10/blue blood HE schools would rule college hockey, I said they would dominate blue chip recruiting. And if we’re not already there…it’s pretty close. That doesn’t mean we won’t be good it just means we need to recruit better/smarter. 

20 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Overall, I do apologize for making this all about you because it's certainly not. I think what @scpa0305 has always discussed, from my understanding, is that UND will lose out on the market share with how college hockey is going. I can't disagree with that. When I hear "backfilling with over-agers" I kind of think that's a lot what we did this year with Britt, Pehrson, Pyke, Johannes, etc. (not shots at them.... they are all very, very good hockey players). UND still has the ability to recruit and that hasn't changed. 

I think the bolded part is what bothers me the most. This team didn't get dropped from the NCAA tournament by losing two games to CC last week. We're so incredibly over reactive as a fanbase. I understand "fan" is short for fanatic, but my goodness :D

You are correct btw. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Is the season considered a success if we sre one and done in the tourney?

I bet you ask every single playa and they’ll say no

Tough question. To me this team looks pretty dang good. They have the makings of being a super tough out come tourney time.

It really depends who we play and how we play. But the answer will almost always land on no, it wouldn’t be considered a success. There are just so many good teams out there, to win the natty you need a ton of luck or a ridiculously stacked/old team.

Oh my goodness, you've hit upon one of my main Hak observations.  He built teams to win playoff series.  That physical defense would have been hard to handle for more than a game.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Having a stacked team guarantees it, like 1997 Michigan, 2010 UND, etc… 

I’d love to know who would have won championships over the last 40 years if there were 5 game series instead of one and done.  My guess is we’d have picked up 2-4 others (including the lost year) and lost 1 or 2 as well.

Hockey has, statically, the largest variance in actual result versus implied result of the major sports (tennis is last).  You have to be good, but luck has to be on your side to win.

I believe I read somewhere that hockey is the sport in which luck plays the biggest role. Not to say skill isn't important, but relative to others sports luck plays a bigger role in hockey compared to other sports

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

I believe I read somewhere that hockey is the sport in which luck plays the biggest role. Not to say skill isn't important, but relative to others sports luck plays a bigger role in hockey compared to other sports

True, but I recall someone's quip about "the harder I work, the luckier I get..."

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

Having a stacked team guarantees it, like 1997 Michigan, 2010 UND, etc… 

I’d love to know who would have won championships over the last 40 years if there were 5 game series instead of one and done.  My guess is we’d have picked up 2-4 others (including the lost year) and lost 1 or 2 as well.

Hockey has, statically, the largest variance in actual result versus implied result of the major sports (tennis is last).  You have to be good, but luck has to be on your side to win.

You are correct, even a stacked team doesn’t guarantee it…but if you don’t need a ton of luck, you better be stacked. Btw i never said a stacked team guarantees anything but a fun team to watch.

• Upvote 2

The fact Duluth hasn’t won a league championship in over 30 years, but has 3 NCAA titles shows that getting on a four game winning streak by having a hot goaltender and getting a few bounces can go a long ways in winning it all.  So yeah, if there were series, that might be a lot different, but that is what really makes the basketball and hockey tournaments so unpredictable, because you always have the Cinderella story.

4 hours ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

But according to Dave Starman, the team with the most talent wins 95% of the time. Oops, I'm not supposed to talk like that here. :silly:

Honestly, there is no other fan base in collegiate sports that bitches about single elimination tournament formats and bad luck more than ours. That used to be a trademark of the Gopher fan base and we used to call them out on it. I guess if you live long enough, you'll see all sorts of things. :crazy:

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Honestly, there is no other fan base in collegiate sports that bitches about single elimination tournament formats and bad luck more than ours. That used to be a trademark of the Gopher fan base and we used to call them out on it. I guess if you live long enough, you'll see all sorts of things. :crazy:

Hey guys, it's game day!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2