SiouxSports.com Forum

RIP Travis Dunn

gfhockey

I worked with Travis in the early 1990's at Acme electric in Grand forks....he was always a great guy to talk to and always had a smile on his face...I would occasionally run into him from time to time, and he always had that same smile.  This is just a real crap sandwich on top of a crap sandwich season.   He will be missed by hockey fans, both UND and non UND.   RIP Travis, you were one of the real good guys:sad:

• Upvote 3

AM 1100 The Flag reporting Dunn's passing also. 

Over the Christmas break Dunn did some TV work with Jody Norstadt and Midco covering HS games at the tournament held at The Lights in West Fargo. For two guys that had never worked together they were smooth. It's a compliment to professionalism to both.

Dunn will be missed on UND and KFGO. 

Condolences to his friends and family. 

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I remember thinking the same thing a few weeks ago.  Was listening to him talk while I was upset about the effort, and he just had such a "sun will come up tomorrow" and its only a hockey game type mentality, and was just genuinely enjoying his time being with TH and talking about hockey.  It was almost like was giving a life lesson.  Things like the sad events of yesterday are going to happen and we only have so many years on the planet to where we shouldn't let a hockey game effect us so much.

Prayers to his family. 

Yes, I can't remember if it was Travis himself or one of the other on the hockey broadcast team that mentioned it, but they said the perspective part was especially pertinent to Travis since his kid had gone through cancer I believe. 

I met Travis at a conference in Orlando years ago.  He introduced himself, when he saw I was wearing a shirt with a Sioux logo.  Took time to talk to me and was a great conversation.  He had a wonderful passion for the game.  Showed me his championship ring with great pride, as he should have in being part of the team.  May he rest in peace.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Why would we care? Because before you make a post announcing the death of another human being, you better have a legitimate source backing it up. Why is that? Because in this age of instant information, we cannot just take somebody's word for it. There is too much B.S. floating around the internet and social media to just trust a post like yours without something solid to back it up. I remember when it was announced that Bob Hope had died (this was way before his eventual death). That erroneous report made it to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives. I certainly wouldn't post something like that on here unless I had a legitimate source to back it up.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why would we care? Because before you make a post announcing the death of another human being, you better have a legitimate source backing it up. Why is that? Because in this age of instant information, we cannot just take somebody's word for it. There is too much B.S. floating around the internet and social media to just trust a post like yours without something solid to back it up. I remember when it was announced that Bob Hope had died (this was way before his eventual death). That erroneous report made it to the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives. I certainly wouldn't post something like that on here unless I had a legitimate source to back it up.

And my source was legitimate 

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Fellas, let’s let it go. Some of you obviously are hurting right now. 

Travis was such a great guy and a wonderful ambassador for UND hockey as well as the game of hockey and the University of North Dakota. If he knew you were from UND or a UND fan, he would often great you with a smile and introduce himself. He was a true gentleman and one of the classiest, kindest guys you could ever meet. He always had not only great hockey stories but great UND stories and stories about his family. He made you feel like you were one of the guys and even as a fan, part of the history of UND hockey. That is a rare talent. For those who were close, my condolences and prayers. God speed to a man who added honor to Fighting Sioux hockey and to the University of North Dakota. 

Good points. I agree 100%.

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Whatever I’m done defending this. A guy has passed away and you guys are more concerned about my sources.  

what a chess pool

Understandable that you might be hurting but don't lash out to people who are curious. Also, if you are not intending to explain what happened, its probably wise to not post it on social media.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

Umm, I am pretty sure he scored a goal in the national championship game.

Travis never scored a goal for UND in 62 games. I remember Travis in a self depreciating way and Pat Sweeney referencing it quite a bit during the 96-97 season as Mitch Vig was approaching the somewhat "dubious" record and then finally got a goal about half way through the season to give him 1 goal in his first 76 games at UND...must have broke the seal though as he potted 4 the following year.

• Upvote 3

My condolences to the Dunn family. Travis was indeed a class individual. I met him when we were both students at UND in the late 70's. He was a freshman and myself a junior. As people said he always had a smile on his face. I ran into him again when he was doing the broadcasts with Pat Sweeny. I worked as a linesman in the WCHA at that time and we always had interesting conversations when I would run into him after the games. RIP Travis

• Upvote 3

Travis was a joy to listen to on his radio show and great doing color this season on the radio. He seemed to be a wonderful person. He had great insight and endless stories from his time at UND. He was very proud of never scoring a goal while at UND as he mentioned it often. 

Gone too soon 

RIP Travis Dunn

• Upvote 3