SiouxSports.com Forum

Lunatics @ hawks Saturday thread

gfhockey

1 hour ago, bcblues said:

I am used to disappointment. I am a Vikings fan, and a Twins fan. So this is not uncharted territory for me. But seeing such potential and watching these terrible decisions by our defensemen is really, really hard to take, especially since it seems Dane cannot fix it.

I'm hoping you have good people and a support system around you for tomorrow.

#Itgetsbetter

I keep saying this but gets ridiculed , Berry is a great assistant but not a head coach , maybe too nice a guy. Will more the likely miss the playoffs for the 3rd time in his tenure. This team hasn’t improved all year no matter how much coach speak we get every week. Time to move on before we don’t matter at all. 

• Like 2

Agreed that DeRidder should've started the 3rd.
If they could have ended the 2nd still at 5-3, then keep KJ in there.  But once WMU closed it to 5-4...that's asking a lot of a young goalie thrust into a big stage with a win on the line.  Cue the implosion in the 3rd.

Can't believe that Grainger kid got 6 points?  :crazy:

Team slid down 8 spots in the PWR in one weekend.  Brutal. 
At this point...pray we can somehow win our first round road series, then manage to squeak by a couple wins to snag the NCHC Tourney. 
Seems like such an impossible ask of this team at the current point.

What does next weekend bring?  A showdown at the Ralph between two formerly strong teams.
This right here is the battle for 6th place in the league, I'm afraid.  I'd love to see a couple wins for UND, but you know they won't make it that easy to get back above .500.
Spicer will probably get a hattrick both nights.

• Upvote 1

Have always been a Berry guy. Still am. But this is the worst defensive execution team we have ever had. They are kids, so I truly hate to single out kids. They don’t wanna play this way. They don’t want to lose. They don’t wanna disappoint us. 

I really liked our game tonight on offense in many ways to be truthful. A lot of grit was showing on offense tonight. 

This is the worst defensive team, I’m not just talking defenseman, the worst defensive team we’ve had in the new Ralph era in my opinion. I believe (7), (15), (2) (3) have been accountable and consistent. But not great. Sidorski has been a great find. Too bad we didn’t have him another year. (25) can be great when he chooses to be. Too bad that’s not consistent enough right now. Some of our guys need to realize you can’t take the kinds of penalties we take. Either the severity of the penalty, like last night, or the timing like tonight. The rest have been very up-and-down. And most of them have been down more than up. 

I don’t envy the task. It’s hard. But we’re a team that very badly needs to find out its identity right now. We’re team without a true goalie. And that’s a scary thought. Back to Basics!!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

So let me get this straight. You think the goalie coach, who selected our current goalie roster and coached them to the worst save % in the country deserves a promotion?  

Carl also runs the power play which is very good amongst the tops in the country. I have always thought Carl would make an excellent head coach. 

How about going back to the basics , D men stay at home and play d , man on man defense. Don’t let the D men free roam and just play simple. 
from here on out since this season is a wash all the youngest players should play over the portal and fifth years players. Need to build for the future, next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Whoever is in charge of the defense isn’t getting it done, yet nothing changes with this group. If your at your job and your performance is horrible you may be demoted or dismissed you don’t just get to spin it and do the same thing over and over again. Two losses this year Denver sat. night and now western Saturday night some of the most terrible home games I have sat through. If Berry doesn’t lose his job he needs to show the ability to make changes to push this program forward , right now we are in reverse. Seventh place in the league, worst save % in the country. 

The manner in which we lost last night more than anything is what bothers and concerns me the most. The D zone coverage was atrocious as well as our inability to gain control of the puck. Man, Western did a great job cycling and maintaining possession. 

• Upvote 4

Up 5-2......27 comes up ice on the PK. Brings it across the blue line into the offensive zone. Should have just dump it in. Instead tries to plays it back to the middle to a trailing teammate. Turnover.....WMU transitions the other way and seconds later they get a PK goal. It completely snow balled from there. That one play didn't lose the game but it totally flipped the momentum.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Johnson was alright.  Not great by any means of the imagination.  It was an all in on black attempt by Berry to get his team a spark.  Practices hard, a great teammate, but he's not Matt Hrynkiw, and we don't have the support around him that Matt did.

Hopefully it's a wake-up call to 34 and 32 because we can't start Johnson again.  My opinion is that the success of the group will live and die with DeRidder.  If he can find the form he had at Mariucci maybe there is some hope of a run to the postseason.

If the season ends much the same as what we've seen to this point then at minimum we need to see two new goalies on campus next fall.  Fortunately Hobie Hedquist has played really well his last 10 games up in the BC after kind of an average start to the season.

Two new goalies then have to potentially replace 6, 18, 29 and 26 to the portal plus the departing portal transfers, grad students, seniors and early pro departures. This isn’t your parents UND hockey program.

26 is a second rounder , rookie of the year last year in the ushl and 19-10-28 player over him. How did our first line produce this weekend , how did 28 do? All invisible in my books. 6-26-29-21 all should play the rest of the year. Not sure what Berry does to these players , all produce in the USHL and come to North Dakota where good players come to get mediocre. 

The fight was definitely there last night. They played hard. Sadly WMU got a spark in the 2nd after getting a few goals and just took control. UND had some defensive miscues with led to odd man situations in which the goal ended up in the net. Johnson was okay in goal but didn't make any great saves. This team really needs to figure out their own end of the ice. Sometimes it's so difficult to watch. Maybe they need to play a much more tighter style. Idk. 

• Upvote 1