SiouxSports.com Forum

WMU visits REA - Jan 13/14

brianvf

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Guessing WMU will be looking for a bit of revenge after we took 5 of 6 from them in their barn.
UND needs to play this series the same way they played that series and really try to limit their top line.
They managed to shut them down in the previous series, and they'll need a similar effort if they want to take some points for the NCHC standings. 

I'm particularly looking forward to this series, as it'll be my first series that I'm able to attend at REA in over a decade!  I'm bringing my son with (who's never even been to ND before)...it'll be a fun time for us!  :) 

Very cool! Here's to hoping for a couple wins for you guys!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Very cool! Here's to hoping for a couple wins for you guys!

3 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I'm overdue for a trip to the Ralph so hopefully I can figure that out. Until that which will not be mentioned, I took the train back for a series every year for about ten years. Enjoy your trip brianvf!

Thanks!  Definitely looking forward to seeing some games again. 
Feels weird...I pretty much went to every single home game for about 8 years of my life...and now none for so long.

31 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I'm overdue for a trip to the Ralph so hopefully I can figure that out. Until that which will not be mentioned, I took the train back for a series every year for about ten years. Enjoy your trip brianvf!

Before said unmentionable, a direct Seattle-Fargo flight on Delta seemed feasible anchored by Microsoft employees.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

Guessing WMU will be looking for a bit of revenge after we took 5 of 6 from them in their barn.
UND needs to play this series the same way they played that series and really try to limit their top line.
They managed to shut them down in the previous series, and they'll need a similar effort if they want to take some points for the NCHC standings. 

I'm particularly looking forward to this series, as it'll be my first series that I'm able to attend at REA in over a decade!  I'm bringing my son with (who's never even been to ND before)...it'll be a fun time for us!  :) 

Make sure your son doesn't get a stiff neck looking up at all those grain elevators.  

Should be a wonderful experience.   

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

Ha!
He'll be too full of Red Pepper to go looking at the grain elevators.  ;) 

I'm headed up for the UMD series! First live game in the REA for me since 2019. So looking forward to some Red Pep. That and my all time love, Little Bangkok. I'm gonna eat like a king and cheer like I'm back in college :lol:

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm headed up for the UMD series! First live game in the REA for me since 2019. So looking forward to some Red Pep. That and my all time love, Little Bangkok. I'm gonna eat like a king and cheer like I'm back in college :lol:

It feels like that's gonna be most of my trip...just eating at all the places that I miss from growing up in GF.  :) 

• Like 1

Reading Schlossman's daily article, you get the feeling based on Berry's comments that we'll see Hellsten on Friday. Really hope they go back to DeRidder. Clearly both goalies have not been good overall, but my feeling has always been, if that position group has any chance of turning it around, it will be DeRidder. I don't believe they can beat Western with Hellsten in net. Hope he proves me wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Reading Schlossman's daily article, you get the feeling based on Berry's comments that we'll see Hellsten on Friday. Really hope they go back to DeRidder. Clearly both goalies have not been good overall, but my feeling has always been, if that position group has any chance of turning it around, it will be DeRidder. I don't believe they can beat Western with Hellsten in net. Hope he proves me wrong. 

This has been my take as well. Hellsten can get wins against more mid-to lower tier teams but I don’t think we can make a serious push to the NCAA’s if he's in net. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AJS said:

So what's everyone's take on Kaleb Johnson? Still not game ready? From what I saw of him during the exhibition game....he looked better than Deridder and Hellsten....that's just me though. Will Hobie Hedquist be the goalie we see right away or will he be another Kaleb Johnson who rides the bench for a couple years while we bring in transfers via the portal. 

17 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

So what's everyone's take on Kaleb Johnson? Still not game ready? From what I saw of him during the exhibition game....he looked better than Deridder and Hellsten....that's just me though. Will Hobie Hedquist be the goalie we see right away or will he be another Kaleb Johnson who rides the bench for a couple years while we bring in transfers via the portal. 

I personally think he's worth a look, but I think it's pretty clear that he isn't ready if he hasn't been able to crack the lineup with how bad our other two have looked.

Hedquist is likely not ready, but I think he'll likely get his shot in a couple years. We'll ride the portal for a bit unless we get a better recruit quickly. 

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I personally think he's worth a look, but I think it's pretty clear that he isn't ready if he hasn't been able to crack the lineup with how bad our other two have looked.

Hedquist is likely not ready, but I think he'll likely get his shot in a couple years. We'll ride the portal for a bit unless we get a better recruit quickly. 

Since Kaleb is listed as a red-shirt freshman, wouldn’t it mess with his eligibility if they were to throw him in?

15 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

Since Kaleb is listed as a red-shirt freshman, wouldn’t it mess with his eligibility if they were to throw him in?

He's a "post-Covid" so he's under the five academic years to play four seasons rule. His clock is running. 

2021-22 - Fr (first academic year)
2022-23 - RFr (second academic year)

On 1/10/2023 at 10:10 AM, AJS said:

I agree with you completely. I understand why Berry may have lost confidence in DeRidder after Friday's game, but Hellsten wasn't any better on Saturday. If UND is going to make a run, it has to go back to DeRidder. I have no confidence with Hellsten in net against Western Michigan. DeRidder was a big reason why they got 5 of 6 points in Western. 

• Upvote 3