SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

25 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yeah half-time adjustments have gone in favor of the opposing team more often than not. Honestly, Danny needs more input and eventually needs to take over. Bubba’s DNA/persona - even going back to Duluth days - just doesn’t instill end of game confidence.

Never forget - you don’t win the game based on the halftime score, but the score at the end of the game is a different story. 

Danny is the guy responsible for play calling first half and second half and has been for a number of years. The coaches review film together and as a team decide on game plans. That is the time head coaches insert their opinions and have the most influence on what plays are called and when. After that, the OC and DC call the plays with only occasional input from the head coach. I’m not sure any OC or DC expects more than that. When head coaches take over all play calling duties, they make it clear and the media knows it and it’s clear to the fans. 

I will need to fact check your statement about not winning the game cuz of the half-time score. If you are correct, I won’t forget. Thanks for the tip. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

image.thumb.png.5589e5a555b98d4fbc57467e44b6e3ee.png

I don’t know if this posted or not but didn’t want to read all the other stuff.

Im surprised DeMontagnac is listed as a starter. Nice to see McNeal listed as starter. Noticed New Mexico DL transfer not listed on 2 deep but the transfer nose is listed as starter.

Buckner and KK listed at safety, I would assume Fort is in the mix there and wouldn’t be surprised if he starts later this year. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Doesn’t take a decade-plus to turnaround a program. That’s a false narrative that only exists around here. UND football and Bubba have been babied and given too much time, but, since it is what it is, hope they make something happen in 2023.

If only there was an example of where it took a head coach that long to turn around a program.. Let me think.. maybe even something in the Missouri Valley.. maybe one of our regional historic rivals..  SDSU?

Im not saying Bubba is Coach S.. but FFS lets roll and be a little optimistic on the 2023 Football thread not the fire bubba thread.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

sacks in those game

usu 1

ndac 1

sdac 3

nebraska 2

sdac 5

ndac 2

weber 2

other than the 2022 game v sdac the oline gave him time.

Fair points...but he's often made quick passes when the rush was upon him and last year started to use his feet to escape trouble.

1 minute ago, shep said:

Fair points...but he's often made quick passes when the rush was upon him and last year started to use his feet to escape trouble.

yep short quick passes.....when was the last over the top bomb (ketteringham?).

and yes...tommy needs to use his feet to extend drives...his little texas two step on that lb or db shows he has a little wiggle...sometimes it looks like he doesn't want to get hit and turtles tho

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Im surprised DeMontagnac is listed as a starter. Nice to see McNeal listed as starter. Noticed New Mexico DL transfer not listed on 2 deep but the transfer nose is listed as starter.

Buckner and KK listed at safety, I would assume Fort is in the mix there and wouldn’t be surprised if he starts later this year. 

From what I saw at fall camp, this 2 deep is about right. Mildly surprised no Kory Tai but not really. Don’t need him. Don’t burn the shirt just yet. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

From what I saw at fall camp, this 2 deep is about right. Mildly surprised no Kory Tai but not really. Don’t need him. Don’t burn the shirt just yet. 

We are 8 deep at receiver and have a good mix. We shouldn't burn his shirt unless injuries force us too.

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

sacks in those game

usu 1

ndac 1

sdac 3

nebraska 2

sdac 5

ndac 2

weber 2

other than the 2022 game v sdac the oline gave him time.

Actually I have memories of Tommy having to juke, jive, duck and scramble to keep plays alive. Fortunately he is very good at that as this shows. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

I am worried about DE and LB size/weight.  Other than Drake this D will get pushed around, forcing the secondary to make too many tackles, then get butchered on PA.  Any OC with half a brain is thinking about their 2 TEs run package vrs our pretty small front.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I am worried about DE and LB size/weight.  Other than Drake this D will get pushed around, forcing the secondary to make too many tackles, then get butchered on PA.  Any OC with half a brain is thinking about their 2 TEs run package vrs our pretty small front.  

so your saying ndac is gonna put up 400 plus yards on the ground against us........again?

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Wow - after all these years we are still undersized!

The 360 guys said Beach may play DE at times, particularly if teams try to just drop the plow. Also the FBS transfer has a lot of experience and he has the size needed, they can also put him in at DE if teams are trying to run all over us or going two TE's. Plus we have a dude at NG.....25 lbs heavier than we've had the past couple of years. I think we will be improved on the DL this year. 

Fort started for us at Safety last year right? Buckner is starting over him....so I take that as a good sign and Buckner may be who we were hoping he would be.  

Excited to see what Pedigo and McNeal can do at ILB. 

• Upvote 2

The start of football season is always exciting! After seeing the depth chart, It will be interesting to see if scheme and coaching make a big difference. Last year's safety play was the worst it's been in decades and I was surprised to see the same guy back there. I hope coaching matters, time will tell.. 

15 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Danny is the guy responsible for play calling first half and second half and has been for a number of years. The coaches review film together and as a team decide on game plans. That is the time head coaches insert their opinions and have the most influence on what plays are called and when. After that, the OC and DC call the plays with only occasional input from the head coach. I’m not sure any OC or DC expects more than that. When head coaches take over all play calling duties, they make it clear and the media knows it and it’s clear to the fans. 

I will need to fact check your statement about not winning the game cuz of the half-time score. If you are correct, I won’t forget. Thanks for the tip. 

Bubba’s DNA/persona - even going back to Duluth days - just doesn’t instill end of game confidence.”

This isn’t a play calling issue, it’s a leadership and adjustment issue. But, thanks for the amateur “fan critiquing play-calling” take.

out of touch “old timer”

• Like 1