SiouxSports.com Forum

ACU @ UND 10/29/22

Dustin

On 10/26/2022 at 8:50 AM, siouxfan512 said:

Ok, I've had enough time to sulk about the SDSU loss. Losing the the #1 team in the country is never the end of the world, losing in the fashion that we did just sucks.

Having the lead and control, then losing it and with some bad turnovers in bad spots. Poor punt coverage. And some soft schemes defensively. Now I'm not football genius, but why do we always seem to give so much cushion to opposing WR? Its like we just give them whatever they want, 2 yards, 5 yards, 8 yards, 12 yards and focus on getting to them after the catch; then if we miss the first tackle we are giving up big yards. I've wondered this all year because it seems like we consistently play too far off the receiver giving them easy space and easy catches. I don't like that against anyone, but definitely not when you are trying to make a statement against a #1 team.

Some questionable play calls really frustrated me in this game on offense. I mentioned in the GDT that I just don't understand what we were trying to do on 3rd and short or especially 4th and short. 4th and 1 and we throw .... All season we have lined Q up and pushed forward, and I'm pretty sure it has worked every time. So, of course they know it is coming, but good team continue to convert even if someone knows what is coming. If you really want to try some trickery there, mix in the misdirection pitch plays we have used. These have been consistent for big gains and even if the defense reads it well, there is still a good chance you get the first down.

I did think UND bounced back a bit in the 4th quarter, but the 3rd just killed us. I kept saying "too little, too late". It was fun to see the onside kick work and see the offense keep fighting, but we just didn't do enough to slow them down, which is a shame give their offense hasn't been that potent all season.

Onto ACU! While last week was a downer and a missed opportunity, the season is far from over. Have to win the next 3 games, which isn't looking as easy as it was a few weeks ago. ACU should be a home win, refocus, get back to what was working, and hopefully run the score up.

Indiana State has lost 4 one score games to UNI, NDSU, Youngstown and Illinois State. That team has to be hungry and on the road is looking tougher. This is a loss that could keep you out of the playoffs (Idaho St. style). It can be ugly, it can be bad, but it needs to be a win.

USD may have a bad record, but they just beat SIU, and are making changes at QB. This team always shows up against UND .... I'm glad it is a home game.

NDSU is a ? game. I know Bison fans are not high on their team with how they have played. My in-laws think we are going to whoop them and have already offered me tickets. I think they are delusional and frustrated because the Bison aren't running every team out of the building like they have for a decade; meanwhile they are still highly ranked and finding ways to win games. Could we win, sure; but until I see a UND team show up and prove it, my confidence is low. Its like watching the Twins and Yankees in the playoffs.

Been wondering the same thing for 9 years now......

• Like 1

The ACU radio guy said if you see number 2 for them in on a punt it could be a fake.  I guess this guy can play punter, QB, LB.

he also said they are terrible on special teams.

he said the last time ACU played Und in a sport was 1966 when Phil Jackson lead us to a victory over them in a playoff BB game.  This guy had quite a knowledge of history.

can hear him on UND football 360 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kab said:

The ACU radio guy said if you see number 2 for them in on a punt it could be a fake.  I guess this guy can play punter, QB, LB.

he said the last time ACU played Und in a sport was 1966 when Phil Jackson lead us to a victory over them in a playoff BB game.  This guy had quite a knowledge of history.

Cool interview. 360 guys are doing a great job with the podcast. I look forward to getting to the office on Thursday mornings so I can listen to the show while I'm working. Not as good as listening to the Nebraska game podcast where I listed to it while I was out fishing, but I guess I'll deal with the office.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Someone text Kostich! (JK I am assuming he's aware of this). Now that it's been aired out in public, what if ACU tries the fake WITHOUT #2 on the field?? Haha

1 hour ago, Kab said:

You just need to watch our opening drive against SUU for what Mansell does on punts, although he was an all-state punter at one time besides a QB.  He is the type of QB that will run right over you.  So, just because he goes out there doesn't mean he will fake it.  He will do a quick read first.  Special teams used to be our strength.  Lately it is really hit and miss...

Even though the crowd will be a lot less this week, I want to see our players come out fired up and ready to play right out of the gate......and continue playing with fire the whole game.  Their OL is young, blitz the heck out of them as Kelly mentioned in the podcast.  And oh yeah....Kelly....we like your rants on the podcast....no need to cut them short! 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Outsider said:

You just need to watch our opening drive against SUU for what Mansell does on punts, although he was an all-state punter at one time besides a QB.  He is the type of QB that will run right over you.  So, just because he goes out there doesn't mean he will fake it.  He will do a quick read first.  Special teams used to be our strength.  Lately it is really hit and miss...

Any more tips you could give us ?

a year ago I watched a QB, he kept his mouth guard out when it was a pass play and put it in on run plays, it was like clock work.

4 minutes ago, Kab said:

Any more tips you could give us ?

a year ago I watched a QB, he kept his mouth guard out when it was a pass play and put it in on run plays, it was like clock work.

Win :) 

Nah, really, just be ready for us to spread the ball around.  Jeremiah Dobbins has been our #1 RB the last few weeks, but Anthony Smith may be back by Saturday.  Either one of those can do damage.  Heck, Banks and Davion Johnson will slide in there occasionally and send one off.  Kobe Clark is our workhorse wide receiver, but you will see Golightly and others get their fair share of throws.  I haven't noticed any mouthpiece tells yet :) We are used to getting blitzed, even with our young OL, so that won't catch us off guard.  You'll get some penetration, but like I said earlier McIvor can run it as well and has been known to get a first down or two.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Outsider said:

Win :) 

Nah, really, just be ready for us to spread the ball around.  Jeremiah Dobbins has been our #1 RB the last few weeks, but Anthony Smith may be back by Saturday.  Either one of those can do damage.  Heck, Banks and Davion Johnson will slide in there occasionally and send one off.  Kobe Clark is our workhorse wide receiver, but you will see Golightly and others get their fair share of throws.  I haven't noticed any mouthpiece tells yet :) We are used to getting blitzed, even with our young OL, so that won't catch us off guard.  You'll get some penetration, but like I said earlier McIvor can run it as well and has been known to get a first down or two.

Oh we know we won't catch you off guard by blitzing, I'm sure your coaches are preparing for it. But handling a wide variety of blitzing in live action can be a different thing. You could burn is a few times on it, but from our end we'll hope we get home a few times in big spots.  Our sack numbers have been lower than expected this year though so we'll see. 

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

Oh we know we won't catch you off guard by blitzing, I'm sure your coaches are preparing for it. But handling a wide variety of blitzing in live action can be a different thing. You could burn is a few times on it, but from our end we'll hope we get home a few times in big spots.  Our sack numbers have been lower than expected this year though so we'll see. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1-2 sacks on us.  I think a lot will depend on who comes back after the Bye from the OL.  Defensively we haven't been getting a ton of sacks but are doing pretty good with the pass rush and break-ups.  I think we had 3 pass break-ups behind the line against SUU.  Gilbert is a good town.  My brother lives there now.  I grew up in Chandler.  Of course it was "Planet Chandler" back then and Gilbert was about one stop light...

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Outsider said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1-2 sacks on us.  I think a lot will depend on who comes back after the Bye from the OL.  Defensively we haven't been getting a ton of sacks but are doing pretty good with the pass rush and break-ups.  I think we had 3 pass break-ups behind the line against SUU.  Gilbert is a good town.  My brother lives there now.  I grew up in Chandler.  Of course it was "Planet Chandler" back then and Gilbert was about one stop light...

Ever play Lone Tree golf course? I have friends who have a place on the second par 3 on the front 9

There’s still a lot to play for at this point, so the team, coaches and fan base should still be really engaged.

Win the next three games, including another road win @ Indiana State, plus a win against rival South Dakota, and then UND @ NDSU would get very very intriguing. Might just have to attend that game, although the Ag U fans are beyond obnoxious to deal with there. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

Need to avoid coming out flat. I think some on this board are underestimating ACU. Their record speaks for itself. They have a ton to play for. I think their d line will be pretty good. Hope we can get the ground game going early. Our defense needs a breakout game in the worst way. 

Speaking of the defense, has anyone heard the status on White and Kaupinnen?  Assuming White may be out for the season.

Edit:  I see by the game notes that Kaupinnen is listed as starting.