SiouxSports.com Forum

Bill Chaves to receive a 4 year contract extension

fightingsioux4life

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Chaves ticking off some major donors doesn't do him or UND any favors.

I'd love to hear some elaboration on this. 

Obviously President Armacost, who seems to be pretty well respected and also is on record on the importance of athletics, seems to think he's getting the job done.

Could some of it be more public? Yep, absolutely. But, as an example, if you want to know why UND was able to participate in athletics last year (hockey, football, MBB, WBB), Chaves was a driving force at the conference level to get that to happen and went above and beyond to make sure UND student athletes competed while other AD's in the conference pushed for shutting things down or were indifferent. Just an example of something pretty noticeable that didn't get a whole lot of press.

And while it's not going to move the needle here, the level that UND is performing at off the field (GPA/community service/etc) is incredibly impressive. I know wins are a helluva lot more fun to talk about, but I don't think that what's going on there should be understated.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

And while it's not going to move the needle here, the level that UND is performing at off the field (GPA/community service/etc) is incredibly impressive. I know wins are a helluva lot more fun to talk about, but I don't think that what's going on there should be understated.

The problem is that some people on this forum (not you, not me) care only about this and couldn't care less whether or not we have winning programs. Those people know who they are. I have always believed this to be a false choice. Our student-athletes have historically done well in the classroom and I think we can continue that while improving the quality of our programs, which to be honest, is lacking across the board except for hockey. I think the solution will take a total team effort (President, AD, Alumni Association, alums, local boosters, the SS.com community) to raise all our athletic boats.

4 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

And they want their AD gone too. Very few ADs are actually liked. Oh welp. 

Yeah the fact that gfhockey is praising Faison now, shows that the incumbent is always the bad guy.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Chaves ticking off some major donors doesn't do him or UND any favors.

Still waiting to hear some additional info on this.

14 hours ago, tnt said:

Yeah the fact that gfhockey is praising Faison now, shows that the incumbent is always the bad guy.  

Feel free to read through some of these comments to be reminded that he's just stirring the pot:
https://forum.siouxsports.com/search/?&q=fire faison&author=gfhockey&search_and_or=or
https://forum.siouxsports.com/search/?q=fire faison&author=gfhockey&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

• Like 1

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Wasn't he the one the had issues with the Engelstad family? Or was that Kennedy? 

That was Kennedy. Chaves has a solid relationship with them from everything I've seen.
So your comment referred to just one donor and it wasn't even Chaves? 

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

That was Kennedy. Chaves has a solid relationship with them from everything I've seen.

My mistake, I was mixing up the two. Any by donors, yes I meant the family. There are multiple people there. But yes, my mistake, I'll remove that.

Still not impressed with the guy though.

17 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Still waiting to hear some additional info on this.

Feel free to read through some of these comments to be reminded that he's just stirring the pot:
https://forum.siouxsports.com/search/?&q=fire faison&author=gfhockey&search_and_or=or
https://forum.siouxsports.com/search/?q=fire faison&author=gfhockey&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

I always ask the difficult questions!

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Does he have any relationship with them?  Serious question.  I hope they keep in contact but I'm not in a position to know one way or the other. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, gfhockey said:

I would bet on a no

guybdoesnt talk to anyone 

Not true. He and Tim Belmore came to DL and we had supper and a beer. They did a great presentation of their plans and vision for Phase 2, FB resources, on campus softball facility, support for track teams etc. They are reaching out and if you were missed, let them know. They have lots of opportunities for support. If you are sitting at Judy’s waiting for them to find you, you might get overlooked. From what you have posted about your W-2 I’m guessing you are someone chomping at the bit to give a huge donation and I’m sure they would love to meet with you. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting link rating of all Summit League schools by Athletic Department.

https://athleticdirectoru.com/articles/athletic-department-power-index-summit-league/

Interesting Tableau Chart:

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/athleteviewpoint/viz/AthleticDepartmentRanking/SchoolComparison

I think there are some interesting nuggets in the data and comments.

I had no idea what an "AthleticDirectorU" is so I read their About page:

AthleticDirectorU was founded with one goal in mind – to empower the college athletics community. While the industry will always be inexorably tied to the world of academia and higher education, ironically, athletic administrators and coaches often lack the daily opportunity to learn and grow professionally. By delivering action-oriented insights and best practices from accomplished executives, top researchers, and the industry’s most influential thought-leaders, AthleticDirectorU seeks to create a transformative learning platform for all members of its community. Through innovative partnerships and pragmatic ideation, AthleticDirectorU has been designed to provide immediate and actionable value meant on improving individual and organizational performance.

College athletics is already filled with great ideas, now it’s time to execute.

I'm currently OD'd on buzzwords. Please pass the Narcan. 

But I am stealing "pragmatic ideation". :D 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I picked up on it because I follow Matt Brown.  I looked at the work on the Summit League.  I agreed with some it and other parts not so much.  I think Matt Brown does good work and he really concentrates at the Mid Major/FCS/D-II sports level of college sports.  As a Sioux fan, I find it interesting.  He and a group of other like minded individuals are building a cross platform group.  And they are sharing content with each other.  Here are some of the links if you are interested. 

Extra Points with Matt Brown (extrapointsmb.com)

You can also sign up for D1.ticker at https://www.d1ticker.com

Collegiate Sports Connect at https://csconnect.live/sign-up

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Whoever wrote that should look into writing speeches for our Vice President.

• 1 year later...