SiouxSports.com Forum

(Almost too soon) 2022 season

undVBfan

I watched part of today's game and part of Montana game we have improved from last year and i suspect we will get better but were still need improvement. You already can see improvement in coaching and we have more talent on the floor compared to last year. It was good for these players to get 29 game loosing streak ended. This program is not going to get turned around in year as far as it sunk in last three years and considering we are not that far removed from going back to back to NCAA tournament. It appears AD finally paid some attention to the this program finding quality coaching and abilitity to start recruiting better talent. I wish this team success.

I wouldn't put too much on the results from the weekend. I suspect the focus was learning more than winning. You always want to win, but I think they wanted to see how the players did against someone other than themselves. Looking at the stats, with 17 players, everyone played in 1 match and all but 3 played in at least 2 matches. We don't need to worry the impact of the weekend on RPI. I suspect they're figuring out who will sit out the year (redshirt), who will likely sit a lot during the year, and who will be on court when it matters.

About the grad transfers, has anyone heard about their eligibility? With COVID, is it possible that they might have 2 years rather than the usual 1 year? Grad school is generally a 2 year program, or 1 1/2 for the over achievers (which for a fall sport offers 2 seasons).

17 hours ago, undVBfan said:

I wouldn't put too much on the results from the weekend. I suspect the focus was learning more than winning. You always want to win, but I think they wanted to see how the players did against someone other than themselves. Looking at the stats, with 17 players, everyone played in 1 match and all but 3 played in at least 2 matches. We don't need to worry the impact of the weekend on RPI. I suspect they're figuring out who will sit out the year (redshirt), who will likely sit a lot during the year, and who will be on court when it matters.

About the grad transfers, has anyone heard about their eligibility? With COVID, is it possible that they might have 2 years rather than the usual 1 year? Grad school is generally a 2 year program, or 1 1/2 for the over achievers (which for a fall sport offers 2 seasons).

Almost every set had a different line up. 8 returners, 9 newcomers. I’m guessing it was a real “preseason” tournament, with focus on figuring out who can perform in a match setting, and trying out players in different positions. No time outs taken in the first two 0-3 losses, coach wants to see how team members respond. It’ll be interesting to see how long this trend continues into non conference play. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, loyalundfan said:

Almost every set had a different line up. 8 returners, 9 newcomers. I’m guessing it was a real “preseason” tournament, with focus on figuring out who can perform in a match setting, and trying out players in different positions. No time outs taken in the first two 0-3 losses, coach wants to see how team members respond. It’ll be interesting to see how long this trend continues into non conference play. 

Interesting - nice to know

11 hours ago, gfhockey said:

So chaves first big hire a bust?

I'm wrong.
We shouldn't fire Bubs and hire gfhockey to run hockey.

We fire Chaves and let gfhockey run the whole department!  But under the same rules: No Natty, no job. And we mean every year, every sport. 

• Like 1