SiouxSports.com Forum

(Almost too soon) 2022 season

undVBfan

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Of course we won't know for sure until this fall, but it appears that he's hit a home run with his first recruiting class.  Could we go from worst to ................third?...........second?..................

I'd be happy with worst to ... not worst. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Should be an interesting fall. By clicking on links in the Instagram page I see all 4 previous recruits still mention UND volleyball. The initial group had a little of everything: a MB, RS, OH, and Libero. 

Now add in 5 more recruits. Something will have to give. Three of the five are grad transfers. I like that coach is bring in some outside experience, even if for just one year (maybe two - who knows with COVID and possible red shirts). Position possibilities are: 3 middles (2 of the grad transfers), 2 RS, 1 OH and a Libero. 

No setters in either bunch of recruits. We still have the current 3 fighting for 1 or 2 positions. Should make practice competitive. :) With COVID I can't keep track if they have only this year or 2 more years left. At the previous scrimmage it sure looked like Norris can hit as well as set. I didn't catch all the matches last year, but I was pleasantly surprised. Wonder if that might have an impact on the pecking order?

Passing is always a concern. MB and RS don't pass, so there isn't a lot of new options for serve receive. I hope they are making strides this spring. You can never pass too well. And they'll need passes if they want the middles to get set.

MSU Moorhead Tuesday night at the Betty for the second scrimmage. I think it's at 7 PM. 

I'm not worrying about numbers. I'd like good numbers, and even great numbers :), but what I really want to see is competitiveness, a program pointing in the right direction. I don't think it will be hard to get most of the fan base back once they start moving in the right direction. The environment from 5-10 years ago is what I want, and then every should feed off of each other, making the Betty a fun place to be and a hard place for a visiting team to win. 

I like what I've seen so far. I was all for giving the previous coach a chance, but I did have my doubts, and it clearly didn't work out. I don't have any of the same concerns right now, I think there are good days ahead.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, undVBfan said:

No setters in either bunch of recruits.

That tells me that Tupac believes he has a starting setter for next season.

22 hours ago, undVBfan said:

so there isn't a lot of new options for serve receive.

On the surface, this part is concerning.  Perhaps he's on top of their fundamentals and things are coming along.  Otherwise, he would have had to address this.

Set 2 was plagued by some mistakes and sloppy play, but UND prevailed 25-23. #4 Norris had the best spike of the set, though had errors too.  #6 Sewell had the best serves, though she had an error her next time up. Good fight in the squad; they’re chasing balls all over. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Roster has been posted, no surprises. All 9 of the new players are listed (4 from Tiffin, 5 from Tupac). Carlat is the only one not listed that wasn't mentioned as not returning. Looks to be going to Merrimack, which will now have 2 former UND players. 

Nothing on the non-conference schedule. It will be interesting to see what direction Coach wants to go with the competition.

It looks to be an interesting fall. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress, and more people in the seat.

• 1 month later...